Ever use a scope smaller than 40 mm?

habersham hammer

I bought a new VX 2 2x7x33. I have a Model 7 .308 I mounted it on because it was lighter and compact.

I have never owned or used anything smaller than 40 mm so it looks weird with the bell being smaller than I'm used to.

It does still have a great field of view though. Anybody ever had or used one of these and how did it perform?

leoparddog

I've had similar scope I put on a Model 7 and I liked the way it looked and shot. At 2x to 3x where I normally left it, it worked great and had a good FOV. I don't have that rifle anymore but that scope is still downstairs and I'll mount it back up again one day. I think it is a Redfield

The FOV is not affected by the objective bell size. It is more a factor of the magnification. I own far more scopes with 20, 24, 32 or 33mm objectives than of 40 or more. Like 7-8 to one.

As for the "magical" low light performance of larger objective scopes, the only thing that matters is the quality of glass and coatings and the exit pupil size. On scopes of equal quality a 33mm scope set at 7X will equal or better the low light performance of a 40mm scope set at 9X.

That size Leupold is one of my very favorite scopes. I have at least 5 or 6 of them in both 1" and 30mm.

My M70 JOC tribute rifle wears a Leupold 2-7x33

Attachments

• JOC.jpg
    JOC.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 523

wareagle700

Nothing wrong with smaller objectives on lower powered scopes. I love a 2-7 power scope, very handy on a close range hunting rifle:

lonewolf247

As mentioned above, the FOV should be fine. Typically, smaller objectives are found on lower power scopes, and usually offer good FOV. I bought a Browning branded Bushnell Elite for my son's youth rifle, in 2-7x33. The FOV is tremendous!

Can't go wrong with Leupold, on count of the warranty and customer service.

Dub

Sweet Model 7, Habersham Hammer !!

I've seldom gone below 50mm, lol.

I am, however, considering a 20mm objective on new .45/70 lever gun that recently bought.

deers2ward

HH, that setup is perfect for western hunting. They average much farther ranges than we do in the southeast.

Jack OC and many others never needed more than a fixed 4x to harvest at 300 and closer. Funny how we need 16x56 to shoot a deer at 80 yards...beautiful M70, Model88! Jack would be proud

I put together a Sako finnlight .308 and a Vortex Razor HDLH that weighs 7# altogether. Although I built it with sheep hunting in mind, I think it will be nice to have for hunting 30ft up out of my climber in GA as well. Light and compact.

james243

I have a vx-1 2-7x33 rimfire on my HK-300 22mag and it has served me very well. Never have trouble finding a squirrel in the treetops or a pig in brush. And I don't have any problem getting 0.75" 100yd groups with it either. Really don't need
much magnification on a hunting rifle for a majority of situations here in the SE.

Lilly001

I use a couple 1.5x4x20 scopes on rifles I use for short range hunting.
One's a Leupold on a Ruger #1 .375 H&H and the other is a Nikon that sits on a Browning B78 in 45-70.
They preform flawlessly.

Lukikus2

40 mm plus for me for me for last light capability at sunset or rise for deer. Smaller is fine when your quarry is out lined by the sky.

HH, that setup is perfect for western hunting. They average much farther ranges than we do in the southeast.

Jack OC and many others never needed more than a fixed 4x to harvest at 300 and closer. Funny how we need 16x56 to shoot a deer at 80 yards...beautiful M70, Model88! Jack would be proud

I put together a Sako finnlight .308 and a Vortex Razor HDLH that weighs 7# altogether. Although I built it with sheep hunting in mind, I think it will be nice to have for hunting 30ft up out of my climber in GA as well. Light and compact.

Thanks. I'd already put together another JOC tribute from a pre '64 M70 FW in .270 topped with Jack's preference, a fixed 4X scope several years earlier. I love the fiddleback in the stock.

The rifle Gods have shined on me as these two .270s are both VERY accurate.

Attachments

• MVC-008F-1.jpg
    MVC-008F-1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 380

deers2ward

Thanks. I'd already put together another JOC tribute from a pre '64 M70 FW in .270 topped with Jack's preference, a fixed 4X scope several years earlier. I love the fiddleback in the stock.

The rifle Gods have shined on me as these two .270s are both VERY accurate.

Beautiful..

JohnK

I have a couple of Leupold vx3 2.5x8x36's and not interested in anything larger. All the larger scopes I've tried were just too big, too high, too heavy devices that specialized in things that I don't need. To each his own. I could use a 1.5 x 6 if I ran up on a deal.

jmoser

Identical 2-7x scope on my BPR .308; going to the VX-3i 2-8x 36mm on my #1 soon. As a related note the 1-4X x 20mm is just fine; straight tube / no objective bell [std eyepiece.] That 1-4x scope is maybe the best ever for slug guns and lever action carbines where 50-100 yards is the limit.

At typical hunting magnification levels of 3-5x the field of view and exit pupil are just fine on the 2-7x. Don't hunt on 7x unless you are 200 yards plus; leave it at 3x and dial up quick if you need to.