Fall Food (for thought) Plot Thread2

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !

Canuck5

For those of you pruning pears, apples, persimmons, crab apples mulberry's, etc., now.

Well the video was blocked by the owner. Basically he was pruning some of his trees now and instead of throwing the branches away, basically cut the branches, dipped them into rooting hormone and stuck them in the ground. He didn't get any more elaborate than that and "what grows ... grows". He knows that the deer will nibble on them, if/when they grow, but that is what he is putting them out for.

Something similar ....

Last edited:
For those of you pruning pears, apples, persimmons, crab apples mulberry's, etc., now.

Well the video was blocked by the owner. Basically he was pruning some of his trees now and instead of throwing the branches away, basically cut the branches, dipped them into rooting hormone and stuck them in the ground. He didn't get any more elaborate than that and "what grows ... grows". He knows that the deer will nibble on them, if/when they grow, but that is what he is putting them out for.

Something similar ....

I'll be pruning this weekend. Persimmons, Chestnuts, Sawtooth's and Pears. I'm going to give it a try.

Canuck5

Canuck5

Canuck5

Canuck5

Canuck5

Canuck5

Canuck5

I thought there were some interesting things in this one.

davidhelmly

Great info as always Canuck. For the people that believe mowing your clover several times a year helps it and don't want to read the entire article, just read these couple of paragraphs.

***Regular mowing is commonly recommended to maintain perennial plots, and mowing often is touted as needed to make plots more nutritious and attractive to deer. Mowing is thought to allow perennial forages to continue growing in the face of weed pressure, and how could it not? We certainly notice fewer weeds after we trim a clover plot! However, mowing does not get rid of most weed species, but rather just makes them shorter for a short time.

Common perceptions about mowing and weed control are not consistent with data we have collected. Mowing as frequently as once every three to four weeks during spring and summer reduces weed height but fails to reduce weed coverage. In fact, regular mowing actually may result in more weed problems over time. Perennial cool-season forages tend to reduce their growth and production later in the grow- ing season, especially in the South when conditions are relatively hot and dry. Mowing during July and August may reduce coverage of perennial forages and allow warm-season broadleaf and grass mowing clearly is not an effective or efficient strategy to reduce weeds dur- ing summer, but you should not park the mower forever. We typically mow peren- nial plots once per year in late summer, which is when most warm-season weeds flower and produce seed. Mowing at this time can prevent or at least reduce weed seed production.

Mowing in late summer also provides shorter plant height which facilitates a fall herbicide application. Of course, if you are not able to spray the appropriate herbicide at the appropriate time, you will have increased weed pressure, and you may need to mow more than once per year sim- ply to prevent your perennial forages from being overtaken and shaded-out by various weeds, but don’t expect increased mowing to reduce the presence of weeds. Again, mowing just makes them shorter while reducing perennial forage biomass!***

rayrayhunts

I like to let the clover goto seed. I spray for weeds after green up and monitor the. Plots for additional spraying if needed. Mowing prior to letting clover goto seed means it’s not going to reseeed and you will need to reapply seed more often. That’s how I do it, I fertilize it in spring and fall with 0-20-20

Canuck5

My Durana reseeding itself

Attachments

• Durana 11-10-18-1.jpg
    Durana 11-10-18-1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts