Fall out bunker build

NOYDB

BANNED
I don't get your point.
I'm not spending much on the bunker. I think a couple grand is reasonable to protect my family's lives. The septic tank shelter we have now cost $1000 installed. It sure is nice when a storm comes knowing we have a safe place to get if need be.

Make believe was less expensive when you built your own tree fort.

Possum

Banned
Oh ok. I don't care what you think and I won't argue with a forum troll

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I'm confused from your posts.
What exactly are you looking for protection from?
Tornadoes?
Fire?
Nuclear fallout?
Zombies?
Not trolling, it really makes a difference.

Possum

Banned
All of the above with exception of zombies. I'll take them out from my roof. And not seeking shelter from fire but if you've ever seen a tornado go through an area, many of the homes are on fire. So if I'm gonna be in it when a tornado hits I don't want to die from fire so that is something I want to be protected from too.

notnksnemor

All of the above with exception of zombies. I'll take them out from my roof. And not seeking shelter from fire but if you've ever seen a tornado go through an area, many of the homes are on fire. So if I'm gonna be in it when a tornado hits I don't want to die from fire so that is something I want to be protected from too.

Having lived in Kansas for 25 years and seen 20+ tornadoes with my own eyes (closest was 400 yards), If you have a below ground basement you're pretty secure.
A few tips, If a tornado hits, get under the stair well, stay away from walls, and if there is a brick fireplace, stay away from it. Crumbling bricks can get you.
As far as nuclear fallout, if it takes in air, it will take in radiation either through the supply or vent air, so that should be a non issue.
If you already have a basement, you will probably live a long life are worried over nothing.

Possum

Banned
Having lived in Kansas for 25 years and seen 20+ tornadoes with my own eyes (closest was 400 yards), If you have a below ground basement you're pretty secure.
A few tips, If a tornado hits, get under the stair well, stay away from walls, and if there is a brick fireplace, stay away from it. Crumbling bricks can get you.
As far as nuclear fallout, if it takes in air, it will take in radiation either through the supply or vent air, so that should be a non issue.
If you already have a basement, you will probably live a long life are worried over nothing.

I disagree. I've seen plenty of cases where people died in basements from tornados. I've personally seen dozens of basement homes ripped off the foundations here in north Ga from a tornado. Luckily most of those people were not at home when that tornado hit but there were people that died that night and they were in a full basement home. You are also wrong on radiation. It can easily be filtered out of the air. After a nuclear blast the dust stirred up raises and can be carried hundreds of miles by wind. But it is just dust, so any hepa filter will remove the radiation from air you breath. We are on a well so don't have to worry about fall out in water supply. And I can cover our garden with plastic sheeting to prevent fall out from contaminating soil we grow food in. If we are unlucky enough to be down wind of a nuclear blast, the worst of the fall out will be gone in a week or so. But I am not "worried" about any of this. It's just something I will be prepared for if it ever happens.

sinclair1

I disagree. I've seen plenty of cases where people died in basements from tornados. I've personally seen dozens of basement homes ripped off the foundations here in north Ga from a tornado. Luckily most of those people were not at home when that tornado hit but there were people that died that night and they were in a full basement home. You are also wrong on radiation. It can easily be filtered out of the air. After a nuclear blast the dust stirred up raises and can be carried hundreds of miles by wind. But it is just dust, so any hepa filter will remove the radiation from air you breath. We are on a well so don't have to worry about fall out in water supply. And I can cover our garden with plastic sheeting to prevent fall out from contaminating soil we grow food in. If we are unlucky enough to be down wind of a nuclear blast, the worst of the fall out will be gone in a week or so. But I am not "worried" about any of this. It's just something I will be prepared for if it ever happens.
You expecting electricity after fallout or do you have enough battery power to last for filters and well pumps?

Just asking because I was under the impression it takes a lot of money to have a fallout proof bunker that is breathable afterwards.

I don't know much about nuclear survival, but as long as the air is good I can live for years at the lake. If the air is unbreathable I guess I die because I ain't planning for that.

NOYDB

BANNED
Radiation from a blast is not limited to dust and can not be filtered out of air you breath. If radioactive dust is around you, you don't have to breath it in to become irradiated.

A tornado can suck everything out of a basement and leave it in a field in one piece or drive a 2x4 completely thru it. But it's still better to have shelter than be exposed to wind blown debris.

sinclair1

Radiation from a blast is not limited to dust and can not be filtered out of air you breath. If radioactive dust is around you, you don't have to breath it in to become irradiated.

A tornado can suck everything out of a basement and leave it in a field in one piece or drive a 2x4 completely thru it. But it's still better to have shelter than be exposed to wind blown debris.
My tornado shelter consist of a Home Depot type rack bolted to the basement floor and 2 helments. We are in the valley, so I doubt a direct hit would ever happen as the one that wiped out Dixie speedway went right over us.

NOYDB

BANNED
My tornado shelter consist of a Home Depot type rack bolted to the basement floor and 2 helments. We are in the valley, so I doubt a direct hit would ever happen as the one that wiped out Dixie speedway went right over us.

Tornadoes don't follow rules and can happen anywhere in the US. Having a plan and being alert and ready can vastly improve your chances. But if one hits and your luck is up. Your luck is up.

sinclair1

Tornadoes don't follow rules and can happen anywhere in the US. Having a plan and being alert and ready can vastly improve your chances. But if one hits and your luck is up. Your luck is up.

That's true, but living at the foothills seems to help, we don't get many EF3 here. When I lived in Austell it seemed like the big ones came out of Alabama and hit that crummy town 2-3 times a year.

notnksnemor

If this is what you believe, your best course of action is to put your head between your legs and kiss your butt goodbye.

Possum

Banned
You expecting electricity after fallout or do you have enough battery power to last for filters and well pumps?

Just asking because I was under the impression it takes a lot of money to have a fallout proof bunker that is breathable afterwards.

I don't know much about nuclear survival, but as long as the air is good I can live for years at the lake. If the air is unbreathable I guess I die because I ain't planning for that.

No not expecting electricity so that is one thing I am working on. As for water, easy solution. I have three wells here, one is a hand dug well that is 3' in diameter. So dropping a rope with a bucket will work. Even a drilled well will work for this if you pull out pipes and pump you can drop a small container down for water.

Air supply is a topic discussed earlier and got great advice on a draft System for non- electrical air intake. I also thought about using a foot bellow for ventilation. I am only preparing for being in shelter for 30 days or less if there is nuclear fall out in my area. After that amount of time the fall out dust will be settled and degraded.
I will have a years supply of food stored though for other scenarios such as meteor impact.

Possum

Banned

Gamma radiation from a blast cannot be filtered but not expecting bombs to be dropped on Clarkesville ga. Radiation from fall out dust can be filtered.