favorite skynyrd tunes

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I saw the tribute band in Jacksonville around 1990. They didn't come close to selling out the venue. The natives weren't to happy with johnny making money off of his brothers achievement's
I don't see it like that, and I don't think Ronnie would have, either. Ronnie always said that Johnny was the best singer of the three. And Ronnie was always the first to give credit to the rest of the band. Ronnie was incredibly talented, but Ronnie wasn't Skynyrd. Without Gary, Allen, Ed, Billy, Leon, Steve, Bob, and Artimus; Ronnie wouldn't have had many achievements to begin with. It was the perfect coincidence of the right singer and songwriter being in the same place at the same time with the right bunch of talented musicians and songwriters that made Skynyrd what it was. Those boys are all just good ol' country folks. I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Donnie when my band opened for 38 Special, and Donnie is just a fine, laid-back country boy.

I really liked the later incarnation of the band. It wasn't the original Skynyrd, and I never thought of it as being. And they weren't trying to be. But, it was still the best southern rock band touring at the time. And they kept a lot of good music alive for many years, with the full support of the whole Van Zant clan. I saw them several times live, and enjoyed every show. I think Skynyrd as a band truly died with Billy Powell.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I don't see it like that, and I don't think Ronnie would have, either. Ronnie always said that Johnny was the best singer of the three. And Ronnie was always the first to give credit to the rest of the band. Ronnie was incredibly talented, but Ronnie wasn't Skynyrd. Without Gary, Allen, Ed, Billy, Leon, Steve, Bob, and Artimus; Ronnie wouldn't have had many achievements to begin with. It was the perfect coincidence of the right singer and songwriter being in the same place at the same time with the right bunch of talented musicians and songwriters that made Skynyrd what it was. Those boys are all just good ol' country folks. I've had the pleasure of hanging out with Donnie when my band opened for 38 Special, and Donnie is just a fine, laid-back country boy.

I really liked the later incarnation of the band. It wasn't the original Skynyrd, and I never thought of it as being. And they weren't trying to be. But, it was still the best southern rock band touring at the time. And they kept a lot of good music alive for many years, with the full support of the whole Van Zant clan. I saw them several times live, and enjoyed every show. I think Skynyrd as a band truly died with Billy Powell.
Full support of the Van Zant clan? Didn't ronnies mother sue when they first started out using the lynard skynyrd name? Made them change it to the tribute band if I remember right.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Found itithttps://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/690/200/2359266/

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Full support of the Van Zant clan? Didn't ronnies mother sue when they first started out using the lynard skynyrd name? Made them change it to the tribute band if I remember right.
Not that I know of. Ronnie's daddy, Lacy, toured with them and introduced the band the whole original tribute tour. I've seen a good bit of video interview of Mom and Dad talking about being happy that Ronnie's music was living on. And they always stayed tight with the rest of the band.

Ronnie's wife was the one you're referring to with the suit. She didn't like it at first, but she changed her mind and since then her and Ronnie's and her daughter have always been big supporters, too. Ronnie's wife did have a legal clause for awhile that to use the name, there should be at least three original members in the band. But, she abolished that after Leon died, because she was behind them and saw that it was a good thing in the long run, for the family and the band and the fans.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Not that I know of. Ronnie's daddy, Lacy, toured with them and introduced the band the whole original tribute tour. I've seen a good bit of video interview of Mom and Dad talking about being happy that Ronnie's music was living on. And they always stayed tight with the rest of the band.

Ronnie's wife was the one you're referring to with the suit. She didn't like it at first, but she changed her mind and since then her and Ronnie's and her daughter have always been big supporters, too. Ronnie's wife did have a legal clause for awhile that to use the name, there should be at least three original members in the band. But, she abolished that after Leon died, because she was behind them and saw that it was a good thing in the long run, for the family and the band and the fans.
ok. I just remembered the lawsuit.In 1990, the folks from the west side weren't to happy with Johnny though. Her and melody opened a club at jax beach called the free bird cafe. I got to meet them one time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
ok. I just remembered the lawsuit.In 1990, the folks from the west side weren't to happy with Johnny though. Her and melody opened a club at jax beach called the free bird cafe. I got to meet them one time.
I think Johnny was harder on himself than the fans ever were. For a long time, he refused to even sing Freebird.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Roll Gypsy Roll

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I don’t want to derail the thread but if you like Skynyrd you should check out the Driveby Truckers. They have been my favorite current rock and roll band for about twelve years now. I don’t sign on to what they stand for as people but as a band they are unreal. I’ve seen them live more times than I know. If nothing else, check out their three album run of Southern Rock Opera, Decaration Day, and The Dirty South. In my opinion few bands have had a run that good ever.