FEDUP WITH FEDEX

WaltL1

FedEx used to be the one you could count on. If it was something important/valuable you chose FedEx even though it was more expensive.
Not so much anymore.

Darkhorse

I spent over a year rebuilding my old Polaris Sportsman 600 Twin. In that time I ordered parts from all over the country. At first I had no problems but as the Covid thing progressed I started having problems with all my old shippers. I finally got her running again in mid-December and was glad of it.
But then it was time to get back to buisness and recently ordered some Yamaha branded oil for my commercial grade mower engine. The order finally made its way to a large Northern city where it sat in a USPS facilty for several weeks. I applied all the tracking I could with no results except an apology from the local postmaster. Same thing on a engine seal except now no letter from my postmaster.
It's not just FedEx but all of them. Because I've had to deal with all of them and have had similar problems with them all.
I think the big problem is with the workforce. If you stay home and earn as much as you do when working then why work?
I think they are trying but don't have the right personell to enact the right process improvements. I know it can be a pain because I did my share of process improvement when I was working. All the way from jeans and T shirts on the shop floor winging it to full blown suits and ties at round tables saying my yessirs and no mamms.
The best I could do was add a note to an internet order to the seller saying "No more USPS! If this order is shipped via USPS then it will be the last order you ever get from me!"
It will get better. In the meantime leave yourself a lot of leadtime. All my orders eventually got here but some took longer than others.

tcward

Have had pretty good luck with FedEx and UPS in my area, but USPS....that is another HORROR story! My gosh, how bad can you be!

buckpasser

FedEx is definitely the worst. I ordered a new iPhone prepandemic which went all over the country per their tracking, then came by the house (when no one was here in the middle of the day) and back to Tallahassee. I offered to drive down there and get it, but before I could it was stolen at the facility. “There’s been a lot of phones stolen down here” was the reply I got from the manager.

Here the post office does pretty good and UPS couldn’t be any better. Our UPS driver is constantly trying to recruit me. He brought his W2 along a while back to prove that he earned $107,000 last year. The fact that we frequently have these chats at 8 or 9pm in my yard keeps me disinterested.

chuckdog

The 2nd package of my Cabela's order was delivered by fedex Saturday.

I found the package next to the door inside under my carport. I wasn't home at the time but my wife informed me of the delivery details. The van pulled right up to the house, the driver walked it up inside the carport as we should expect.

Maybe a different driver?
Maybe Cabela's customer service rattled some cages?

I don't want anyone to lose a job, I just want them to do what's right. Leaving a package on the side of a road ain't doing it right.

transfixer

my stepson is looking for some target ammo for his recently acquired AK, I ran across a deal on 1000 rd case that was cheapest I've seen in a long time, I was going to hit the buy button until I realized they only used Fed Ex ground, Nope ! not gonna do it, and I don't remember what the item was I wanted to buy a few months back, it was firearms related and from some company out west, they only used Fed ex , I actually sent the company an email telling them I wanted their product and asked if they could use a different shipper, I was told no they only used Fed Ex , I didn't buy that product

buckpasser

I retired from FedEx Express last year after 34 years..... if I have a choice between FedEx ground or UPS I’ll choose UPS every time..... FedEx ground are sub contractors and are not FedEx employees

I follow you on that, but what company in their right mind would deem it okay to have a company with their name on it using unreliable and negligent employees? If I was going to do it that way I’d call it something else. “Delivery America” “DA” for short. Most of us here don’t and didn’t work for them and it’s all just “FedEx” to us.

bullgator

I follow you on that, but what company in their right mind would deem it okay to have a company with their name on it using unreliable and negligent employees? If I was going to do it that way I’d call it something else. “Delivery America” “DA” for short. Most of us here don’t and didn’t work for them and it’s all just “FedEx” to us.
Fedex Ground is a result of the UPS strike in ‘95 or ‘96. Fedex only had an Express system at the time. When UPS went on strike, FedEx got hammered by UPS customers for the 5-6 week duration. Many UPS customers were looking for an alternative and the suits at Fedex decided to jump into the ground game. They bought RPS (Roadway Package Systems, formerly Purolator) from Roadway Trucking. They ran them as RPS for a couple of years before changing the name to Fedex Ground. I assure you that Express employees wanted no part of being associated with them, even if in name....we were right to feel that way!

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
It’s actually simple as how the companies were conceived, they do their core business better. FEDEX is an airline that went into trucking. UPS is a trucking company that went into the airline business.

bullgator

It’s actually simple as how the companies were conceived, they do their core business better. FEDEX is an airline that went into trucking. UPS is a trucking company that went into the airline business.
That’s it. They even operate under different labor laws.

35 Whelen

Try getting a shipment from FedEx Ground up here in the North Georgia mountains with an address that is not on Google maps!

rosewood

Fedex experts. Please explain the differences. Seems like there is like 3 divisions of Fedex? Which one should we chose if we have the option. Seems like I have seen Express, Ground and home delivery??

Thanks,

Rosewood

bullgator

Express is the original and moves most freight by air. Delivery options run 1-3 days. Obviously that makes it the most expensive usually. Ground is trucked and doesn’t have the date specific guarantee although they can be pretty accurate with the estimate. Ground is/was supposed to be for business deliveries, although I see them making residential deliveries all the time. Home Delivery was supposed to be the residential arm of Ground....so I’m a little confused myself on that overlap.
As previously stated, Express has employees with full benefits and therefore better controlled by management. Ground are contractors that buy their routes and don’t always represent the company very well facepalm:. They are supposed to be in proper uniforms and follow best practices protocols.....but as we all know, that’s extremely hit and miss :banginghe.

rosewood

Thanks for the info. So if we use Fedex, we should use Express.

The contractors are a rag tag bunch for sure. The one that used to deliver in our neighborhood had an old filthy Fedex truck. I saw him one night and only had 2 lights on the whole truck. One headlight and one tail light working. Pretty sorry.

Rosewood

Dub

I'm still shaking my head over @chuckdog 's delivery people simply dropping off a package at a roadside mailbox......and then drive away.....on to their next stop.....

That is insanity.

Tossing a box on the ground beside the mailbox and leaving it......and calling that "delivered" :huh::banginghe

What kind of dipstick would think that is okay ? Certainly there was some type of training where they were shown the correct methods of performing their jobs....

Lazy and downright worthless.

Good job on reporting this sorriness and hopefully getting it corrected.

Mail order is a vital portion of many businesses...and obviously highly desired for the consumer. I have a Cabelas, Academy Sports and Harbor Freight Tools each within 15 min drive from me.....yet I opt to mail order from them a vast majority of the time. First time one of orders gets left out on the street.....then I'm also gonna carve out some time to spend on kicking up as much dust as possible with the seller....

bullgator

Hey Dub, let me give you the kinda funny flip side to the dropped at mailbox. There are plenty of dirt trails off of dirt roads with multiple residents on them. There will be a cluster of mailboxes at the beginning of the trail at the dirt road. You drive down the trail and not a one has numbers on their residence. Basically you have to go to each one or take your best guess. I can’t tell you how many times I spent close to a 30 minutes looking for someone only to have them laugh when I told them so. They act like they’re part of the hole-the-wall gang and don’t want to be found.....yet they expect us to do just that. Some weren’t to pleased when I told they should be glad I wasn’t an ambulance looking for them while they were clutching their chest.

Dub

Hey Dub, let me give you the kinda funny flip side to the dropped at mailbox. There are plenty of dirt trails off of dirt roads with multiple residents on them. There will be a cluster of mailboxes at the beginning of the trail at the dirt road. You drive down the trail and not a one has numbers on their residence. Basically you have to go to each one or take your best guess. I can’t tell you how many times I spent close to a 30 minutes looking for someone only to have them laugh when I told them so. They act like they’re part of the hole-the-wall gang and don’t want to be found.....yet they expect us to do just that. Some weren’t to pleased when I told they should be glad I wasn’t an ambulance looking for them while they were clutching their chest.

I hear ya.

One of the jobs I had in college was working for an independent freight contractor....contracted out to a competitor of UPS & FedEx. Helped fund my way through last two years of school.

Delivered packages to houses, businesses and such.

Was often an adventure.

The good days were when you had the in-town business route....the gals at the doctors offices were the greatest. Fun routes.

The worst were the inner-city drops....signature required....and nobody wanted to claim any type of express letter envelope....."I ain't signing fo that.....what it is, anyway ???? Ya'll be trying to sneak sumptin' on us". I'm standing there simply wanting to get a sig, deliver the package and make it back to my van without getting in a knife fight or having the van stolen.

Some of the rural routes were doozies, too. Just like you described.....No clear way of knowing which dwelling was which.....and knowing that you were driving into a situation where they didn't want visitors.....period.

One thing I never had much problem with was dogs. Ran into a pile of 'em....but never got bit. They were easier to work with than their owners in many cases....especially if it was a repeat stop.

bullgator

I hear ya.

One of the jobs I had in college was working for an independent freight contractor....contracted out to a competitor of UPS & FedEx. Helped fund my way through last two years of school.

Delivered packages to houses, businesses and such.

Was often an adventure.

The good days were when you had the in-town business route....the gals at the doctors offices were the greatest. Fun routes.

The worst were the inner-city drops....signature required....and nobody wanted to claim any type of express letter envelope....."I ain't signing fo that.....what it is, anyway ???? Ya'll be trying to sneak sumptin' on us". I'm standing there simply wanting to get a sig, deliver the package and make it back to my van without getting in a knife fight or having the van stolen.

Some of the rural routes were doozies, too. Just like you described.....No clear way of knowing which dwelling was which.....and knowing that you were driving into a situation where they didn't want visitors.....period.

One thing I never had much problem with was dogs. Ran into a pile of 'em....but never got bit. They were easier to work with than their owners in many cases....especially if it was a repeat stop.
I could write a book with the stories. Probably a long chapter just for dog stories.