Feeder options

lungbuster123

We are looking at feeder options for our lease. What has everyone found to work best on property you can only check about once a month?

Swamprat

Swamprat
Can't remember the manufacturer but we have a tripod type feeder, plastic barrel. Holds almost 3 bags of corn. The only one we run all year, have had to replace the motor once 2 years ago after about 8 years of service.

Downside to this type of feeder is if you have hogs or bears, we have few if any hogs and no bears.

We have it sling corn twice a day for 3 seconds each on the timer and after a month it might have a 1\4 or little less of the feed left.

j_seph

My thought on an auto feeder is set it to go off, place a bucket over the spreader so all corn goes into it. See how much is in it then adjust the feeder accordingly. Like was mentioned if you have bear then prepare to have battery taken out, timer taken out, barrel tore down and like me, barrel carried off to be found 2 or 3 years later.

Cool Hand Luke

I would go with all metal. Tree rats will chew a hole in the plastic barrel and then you have a soggy stinky mess. See Moultrie feeder below, actually a good price on this one. They also sell a 30 gallon version. I usually add a rain guard on lid and funnel inside. If you have hogs, may want to add t-post or stakes with hose clamps to the legs. Have pics of a hog rooting under one of the legs till it fell over and then found 55 gallon barrel over 300 yards away through thick woods. Spinner and legs trashed but barrel still usable.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/moultrie-pro-magnum-tripod-feeder-55-gallon?a=1928359

lungbuster123

No bears and hogs are probably few and far between. It's a new lease to us, but I didn't see any sign of either the few times we have walked it. We are between trough feeders and electronic. The thing I'm worried about with trough feeders is pnce they find it how fast they will go through the feed

hancock husler

I like the banks feeder. Gravity style and the deer took to ours quickly. Not as easy to move because the post it sets on but we don’t hunt the feeders as we only use them for supplemental feed.

Down4Count

We have the 300lb scatter feeders from Sweeny. But, at $1200 a clip it's costly. We have 4 running on our lease all year.

tree cutter 08

I figured I'd have problems with bear instead of hogs. It was other way around.1 hog absolutely destroyed mine. I even staked it with 2 foot stakes and he still managed to turn it over. Only way I'd put a feeder back up is a barrel on a winch system.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
I put this BOSS BUCK out at the beginning of last season and like it. I also put C'MERE DEER in the tubes to get them to learn to stick their snoot into the tubes. Both work great.

Attachments

• 10220061.jpg
    10220061.jpg
    572 KB · Views: 47

catch22

im a boss buck fan. we have had great success with them for years and if you want to feed protein, you can do that to

GottaGetOutdoors

We own a bunch of Boss Buck feeders and they do well for the price. The negative is that squirrels will chew them. I found out the hard way when a squirrel gnawed a softball-sized hole in a brand new feeder. Summer heat also warped one badly. Despite all that, we sell a lot of them to customers and we own plenty ourselves.

Golden Bear

I highly recommend All Seasons Galvanized feeders. Its a little more expensive than some other plastic versions, but very heavy duty galvanized steel and resistant to damage with a varmint cage. If you couldn't visit your place that frequently, get the 600lb version. We run four 300lb broadcast and three protein on our 250 acres. Worth every penny!

300lb Version:
https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/products/300lb-broadcast-feeder-w-solar

600lb Version:
https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/products/600lb-broadcast-feeder-w-solar#

300lb Protein:
https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/collections/protein-feeders/products/300lb-protein-feeder

BowArrow

I bought a galvanized can and mounted a Moultrie timer on bottom. Installed a cable between two trees and attached a winch on one of the trees. Can is water and tree rat proof and easy to lower with winch and fill. Has worked for many years.

Major Wader

+1 for All Seasons. I have the Stand & Fill 300 lb. At 5 seconds cycle twice a day, a 300 lb batch will last about 7 weeks.

Stand&Fill

Solar backup charger for the battery is included. Mine has been running since September and still shows full charge on the battery.

Gumpbuck

Can't remember the manufacturer but we have a tripod type feeder, plastic barrel. Holds almost 3 bags of corn. The only one we run all year, have had to replace the motor once 2 years ago after about 8 years of service.

Downside to this type of feeder is if you have hogs or bears, we have few if any hogs and no bears.

We have it sling corn twice a day for 3 seconds each on the timer and after a month it might have a 1\4 or little less of the feed left.

American Hunter Feeders!!! I use the basic analog timer motor. Very affordable and the motors have lasted for year.

Yes, the bear, hogs and squirles could damage the plastic. But that just hasn't happened for me.

The deer getting used to the feeders is more of the issue. It will take time for that if there have not been feeders on the area before.

My deer seem to be used to mine at this point. But I still have better luck just spreading a half bucket of corn on the ground. I'll do this at the beginning of a several day hunt and it will last till my last day. If I'm gonna be hunting again the next weekend. I'll spread another bucket out to keep them coming in till I return.

j_seph

No bears and hogs are probably few and far between. It's a new lease to us, but I didn't see any sign of either the few times we have walked it. We are between trough feeders and electronic. The thing I'm worried about with trough feeders is pnce they find it how fast they will go through the feed
I can pour 50 pounds of corn on ground, in 3 to 4 days it is all gone