Figured I'd post it here too....

Stumpthumper

(Posted this in the Firearms section but after scanning through this section, I'm thinking I maybe should have put it here!)

Guys, got a question for ya! I'm looking to purchase a new handgun and wanted to hear your preferances. I'm either going to get a .40 cal or 9mm. and am looking to stay under $400. I want a quality gun (used or new) but it doesn't need to be anything fancy. The only handgun I presently own is Glock .45 and I've been pretty pleased with it. If you have any makes or models you like lets hear em'! If you have a make or model you like, please tell me why you like it. With the exception of Glock and Ruger, I'm very unfamiliar todays handguns so any advise would be great! Thanx!

308-MIKE

For the money, you really can't go wrong with a glock. The 9mm is the 17 ,19, 26. The 40 is 22,23,27. I've owned several of them, and have never had a complaint. There are other makes that are technically better than glocks, such as some of the springfield models, kimber, and para-ordnance, but you'll also pay for those superiorities. My advice would be to stick with the glocks.

Doyle

9mm ammo is far more commonly available at your local store, kicks less and costs less to shoot. .40 has more oomph against a bad guy but you may have to look a litter harder for ammo and it will cost you more. It also recoils more and a gun holding the same number of rounds will probably have a thicker grip (not a good thing if you have small hands).

deerslayer357

I have a .40 S&W Sigma series. I would suggest that you stay AWAY from the sigma pistols. They are good for the money, but the triggers are awful. I have never had any problems finding ammo because .40 is a pretty common caliber, but it is more expensive than 9mm. I've heard that the S&W M&P models are very nice. They come with 3 different grips so you can choose the one that best fits your hand, but I haven't got one so I cant tell you the downsides. My advise it to shoot a couple different makes and models and see what you like.

yoteaholic

save a little more $$ and pick up a used Kimber- it dosent need to be their top of the line one. It will cost a bit more but you will have a hard time picking up your Glock again..

Bonaire-Dave

Give the Springfield Armory XD's a look. Last year I got a XD 9mm with a 4"barrel and have been please with it's performance. Might be hard to find this model now, it came with 3 16rd magazines.

Rich Kaminski

I've owned a few Glocks

But personally, I like the S&W for the lifetime warrantee.

I've owned 9MM but in my opinion not big enough to do the deed and quickly if you run into a bad guy in the street or they break into your home). I'd rather have something more powerful to end any confrontation with the first shot. I owned the 357 Glock, nice gun; but with the little necked down 40 cal to accomidate the smaller 357 sig projectile - it doesn't have enough powder to collapes both lungs of a bad guy with one round. So stick to a 40 cal or larger.

Latest posts