Firearm Shipping

Boudreaux

I bought a 10/22 for my nephew in LA. My brother-in-law had his local FFL fax me a copy of his FFL.

Do I have to take the gun to a local FFL to have it shipped to the FFL in Louisiana, or can I ship it directly to the FFL there?

Where does the copy of the FFL need to be in the packaging?

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I bought a 10/22 for my nephew in LA. My brother-in-law had his local FFL fax me a copy of his FFL.

Do I have to take the gun to a local FFL to have it shipped to the FFL in Louisiana, or can I ship it directly to the FFL there?

Where does the copy of the FFL need to be in the packaging?

You can ship to the FFL directly. Do not seal the box until the shipper verifies it is going to an FFL then put it in the box. Do not ship it loaded or with ammo.

WTM45

Call the FFL who is receiving the firearm. Ask how they prefer to have it shipped, and if they need anything additional from you.
Sometimes a photocopy of your DL is needed for their records.
USPS or UPS is OK for a longarm. DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE PACKAGE IDENTIFYING IT AS A FIREARM!

I've shipped dozens of guns through the post office, and never had them verify that I was shipping to a FFL, which is good because in most cases I wasn't.

Now all that said, you need to contact the receiving FFL. Although the law does not require that you ship through a FFL, some FFL's will not take shipments from shippers that they do not know. In other words, this is a personal business decision, not a legal requirement. Unlikely, but worth a phone call.

The safest way to ship, although a little slow, is USPS registered mail.

Blue Iron

Banned
Ok, heres my question. Its legal to ship LONG guns person-to-person in GA correct?

Its legal to ship LONG guns person-to-person in GA correct?

Yes, assuming the recipient is legally eligible to possess a gun.

To expand the question, it is legal for a resident of state to transfer and ship a long gun to a resident of the same state (not just in Georgia). This is only subject to some state regulations -- I think Granola land has limitations, and there may be some other states.