Firewood

Get ready to go through some firewood boys. We normally go through 3 cords a winter. We've only been through 1/2 cord so far, but its coming. I noticed every neighbor around had smoke rolling yesterday. How much do yall burn through.

baddave

2+ cords .. we have 2 stoves to heat 3750'.. we only burn the one upstairs when it gets around 30 deg. they can keep the heat pump off totally but it sure is hard work . and i've never bought a stick of wood in my life.:)

Last edited:

7Mag Hunter

2-3 cords of wood...Buck stove w/fan in large country kitchen and Dutchwest(catalytic model) in LR....Furnace has not come on so far all winter....
I don't buy firewood ether...got 3 saws, and 2- 4WD trucks and trailer..

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I've got about 3 chords of split oak and pecan stacked up, don't burn wood, but just about can't give it away round here, unless you deliver, stack, and dang near go in and start a fire for them.

Cmp1

BANNED
I've got about 3 chords of split oak and pecan stacked up, don't burn wood, but just about can't give it away round here, unless you deliver, stack, and dang near go in and start a fire for them.
Mostly white pine up here,,,,burns fast,,,,,

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word

Sure wish the weather had cooperated and I brought home a truck load on the last visit.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
We're getting ready to build a house and are debating gas or wood. I grew up with wood, but I'm leaning towards gas.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We're getting ready to build a house and are debating gas or wood. I grew up with wood, but I'm leaning towards gas.

Gas for convenience. Wood for the ambience. I couldn't live without a fireplace.

Stroker

We switched from wood to gas 2 years ago. I was tired of cutting, hauling, and stacking wood only to have it rot before I could burn it all, or not have any cut and stacked when the power went out. When we want the atmosphere we flip a switch, flip a switch to cut it off. Got rid of the chimney and pipe, and no more ashes to worry with.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Gas for convenience. Wood for the ambience. I couldn't live without a fireplace.
We had electric heat with gas logs in our last house. Electric for convenience, gas logs for ambience/heat when the power was out.

I won't do electric again.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
We switched from wood to gas 2 years ago. I was tired of cutting, hauling, and stacking wood only to have it rot before I could burn it all, or not have any cut and stacked when the power went out. When we want the atmosphere we flip a switch, flip a switch to cut it off. Got rid of the chimney and pipe, and no more ashes to worry with.

If I do wood, it will be an outside unit.

tree cutter 08

Fixing to start on the 3rd cord. Simply can not beat the heat a wood stove in the living room provides. I'll let the fire go out when it warms above 65 during day and 50's at night. Usually have a fire going from early November till sometime in april. Will probably hit 4 to 5 cords by then. I stack wood in metal cages right off the splitter. Use tractor to move to shed then to the porch. Eliminates some of the handling.

Stroker

We had electric heat with gas logs in our last house. Electric for convenience, gas logs for ambience/heat when the power was out.

I won't do electric again.

Got the same set up inside, a chiminea on the patio and a fire barrel behind the shop.