Flint River being posted? GON article

JWF III

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s my understanding that the state will stock your private pond for free. But you are required to open it to the public.

How could a public river be any different? If the state has stocked the river with fish, they cannot determine where the fish will go. How can any part of the river be shut down as being private property?

Wyman

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Just read that this morning. We have similar situations here in NC, like the Rainbow Springs Club that owns a chunk of the upper Nantahala River and doesn't allow fishing access. There are situations like that in north Georgia, too. Up here, if you own both sides of the stream, and it isn't a navigable waterway, you can post it and shut'er down. Sounds like GA law is pretty much the same.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Correct me if I’m wrong, but it’s my understanding that the state will stock your private pond for free. But you are required to open it to the public.

How could a public river be any different? If the state has stocked the river with fish, they cannot determine where the fish will go. How can any part of the river be shut down as being private property?

Wyman

It is my understanding that you are wrong. The State doesn't stock private ponds in exchange for opening the pond to the public.

lampern

Where I've seen the Flint River in Albany, its a good sized river. Definitely has to be navigable.

But thats below a dam

Last edited:

Coenen

Floated right by those very signs a couple weeks ago. I guess Shoal Bass can't read because they were biting just fine. Had a local guy come down right next to one of the signs and ask how the action was; we exchanged pleasantries, and I floated on down the line. Maybe he wasn't the property owner.

GA needs to revisit riparian rights, and clear up some of the verbiage, just my opinion.

The Flint is part of the intercostal waterway, it would be hard to claim it's not navigable.
This is way up in the Thomaston stretch of the river.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I took a class that said all water is owned by the state unless it’s a concrete pool.
Do you take that to mean that since the water is supposedly owned by the State anyone can float around on it or fish in it? Why would a concrete pool be any different from any other means of containment?

The Flint is part of the intercostal waterway, it would be hard to claim it's not navigable.

It is not navigable under the definition used by the State of GA in its entire length. The part that is not navigable by that definition is controled by the person who ownes the land beneath the water.

lampern

That is by a Federal court.

This is a state and state law issue

And if I am right that portion of the Flint mentioned above is downstream of the dam at Albany

earlthegoat2

In some jurisdictions, only the land under the water can be owned. The water is still owned by the state.

Not in GA though.

So in theory a private lake could still be used for fishing by someone who could manage to access it without trespassing on any private land around the lake.

Figure that one out without aircraft.

psedna

UAEC
Remember the issue with Baker County in SW GA and the Joseph Jones Ecological Center (Ichawuay) posting the Nochaway Creek - some guys floated the creek with a raft and a goat to prove it was a navigable stream but lost the argument I believe int he Ga Supreme Court... Money talks?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Remember the issue with Baker County in SW GA and the Joseph Jones Ecological Center (Ichawuay) posting the Nochaway Creek - some guys floated the creek with a raft and a goat to prove it was a navigable stream but lost the argument I believe int he Ga Supreme Court... Money talks?

No, sir. The Court ruled on the law as it exists in Georgia not as it exists on other places.

psedna

UAEC
You got to give the guy some credit for his efforts!!! I would side with him...

Excerpt:

In an attempt to show the creek is navigable, Givens floated through Ichauway's leasehold on a styrofoam and wood raft that was four feet wide, sixteen feet long, and drew one foot of water.   He loaded the raft with a goat, a bale of cotton, and two passengers, disassembling the raft and portaging around the dam.   He argues the goat, cotton, and passengers were freight and his trip showed the creek was capable of use for transporting freight under OCGA § 44-8-5(a), despite the presence of the dam.   OCGA § 44-8-5(a), however, requires that to be deemed navigable, a stream must support freight traffic “in the regular course of trade.”   Givens does not claim craft such as his are currently used in the regular course of trade but does contend the raft is representative of craft that were so used in the nineteenth century.   He argues this shows the creek was formerly navigable under the definition, and that once a stream is susceptible of navigation that status is not lost.   He also relies upon this argument to maintain that the creek can be deemed navigable despite the presence of the dam which undisputedly prevents the free passage of boats through the creek.