Important meetings on fishing access- Flint River

lampern

Until they make a “navigable/unnavigable list” it seems like this solved nothing and served no purpose.

The public hearings and whoever else the committee talked to will help formulate the list of waters that are 'private' and subject to increased trespassing punishments.

I expect the list will be introduced as a bill and enacted into law so it has more legal weight.

And all the other waters will be defacto public navigable waters.

Last edited:

lampern

The game fish and parks committee is going to meet on the 23rd at the legislature in Atlanta.

Not sure if they are going to discuss this issue or not.

Last edited:

Nuttin Better

It seems to me like the hang up in Georgia in trying to determine if a property owner can post access to a flowing river or stream that crosses their property is hung up on trying to determine if the water in question is navigable or not. Georgia should follow the Federal EPA and the Army Corps of Engineers definition as it relates to the federal Clean Water Act to determine if the water is navigable or not.

Attached is some information I found from the Federal EPA and some cases that have been heard in the Supreme Court to define Navigable Waters.

Attachments

• EPA difinition of navigable water.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 8
  • EPA Navigable waters cases.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 3

riverdiver

The same way that a land owner can say NO to your hunting doves even though the doves belong to everyone as does the air over and owner's land through which they fly.
I understand that.

What I’ve never understood is how landowners can prevent you from floating down a river of creek and block you from fishing.

Thank goodness it’s not that way here in SC.

lampern

I understand that.

What I’ve never understood is how landowners can prevent you from floating down a river of creek and block you from fishing.

Because there is no public access to said river/creek and no public places to launch a boat?

Obviously not the case on the Flint River which started all this.

There are public access spots on which to launch and take out a floating craft.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member

It's because that is the law in GA and has been for a very long time. It works in GA on waters that are defined as non-navigable just like it does on the land. Land is free to walk over until the owner or someone else with the proper authority notifies you that you can no longer walk there.

lampern

Some legislation

Don't ask me what all it does but I'm sure its on topic

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Organizing a trip small mouth fishing out of state. The stream I’m focusing on flows 99% through private property. One can’t get out on private property but you can float through and fish. This matches most states that I’ve kayak fished in. GA law is very antiquated. It suppresses fishing tourism which thrives in other states.

basshappy

BANNED
Am I seeing what I think I’m seeing what I think I’m seeing with this new News?!?! I hope so.

I don't know what my take away is. Happy to see some representation noting the issue of non-navigatable waterways and neighboring states and their laws and definitions.

Georgia needs to (re)define "navigable waterway" first and foremost. Because a definition from the 1800s may not apply today. Just as so much else has changed with time, this definition may also change. There are vehicles for navigating waterways that did not exist when it was defined.

cowhornedspike

I don't know what my take away is. Happy to see some representation noting the issue of non-navigatable waterways and neighboring states and their laws and definitions.

Georgia needs to (re)define "navigable waterway" first and foremost. Because a definition from the 1800s may not apply today. Just as so much else has changed with time, this definition may also change. There are vehicles for navigating waterways that did not exist when it was defined.

Canoes existed then and were used for trade purposes...Georgia chose to ignore that then and is doing so again now.

Nothing has changed for the better with all of this hubbub that started with Yellowjacket shoals.

Bananaslug22

Canoes existed then and were used for trade purposes...Georgia chose to ignore that then and is doing so again now.

Nothing has changed for the better with all of this hubbub that started with Yellowjacket shoals.

Let me be more specific to my most recent post- I’m seeing lists of “navigable” waterways with specific starting points.
I was busy earlier and could not read everything in detail so I hope this also opens up fishing on the waterways within that list.

cowhornedspike

Let me be more specific to my most recent post- I’m seeing lists of “navigable” waterways with specific starting points.
I was busy earlier and could not read everything in detail so I hope this also opens up fishing on the waterways within that list.
When it is all done we will have less legal fishing rights and access than we did before this mess started. The legislators will side with the landowners and we will lose many miles of water that the DNR previously considered to fall under the "navigable" heading.

The DNR has always refused to cite folks fishing areas like YellowJacket shoals because they considered it to be in a section of the Flint that was navigable. It will now be clearly defined as NOT navigable and we all lose.

cowhornedspike

When it is all done we will have less legal fishing rights and access than we did before this mess started. The legislators will side with the landowners and we will lose many miles of water that the DNR previously considered to fall under the "navigable" heading.

The DNR has always refused to cite folks fishing areas like YellowJacket shoals because they considered it to be in a section of the Flint that was navigable. It will now be clearly defined as NOT navigable and we all lose.
I may stand corrected...jury is out still.

I read the list of rivers that this bill would say are navigable and it looks like this will expand quite a bit over what the COE has published in the past and what GA has generally followed. Not sure this will stand up in court against the official definition of "navigable" in the GA law but we can hope!!

Bananaslug22

I may stand corrected...jury is out still.

I read the list of rivers that this bill would say are navigable and it looks like this will expand quite a bit over what the COE has published in the past and what GA has generally followed. Not sure this will stand up in court against the official definition of "navigable" in the GA law but we can hope!!
Which is exactly what I was “hoping” in my first post.
Does this list of navigable rivers/sections also include fishing rights or just passage rights?

lampern

Onto the governor!

HB 1172

I'll let the lawyers tell us what this means

Latest posts