Important meetings on fishing access- Flint River

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
(Sidebar fact)

Ranch owner.

Iron Bar Holdings LLC and its owner, Fred Eshelman of North Carolina.....Billionaire:)
Yep. He tried to push it, and it backfired on him, bigtime. Just got done listening to the Meateater podcast where they had the lawyer for the corner-crossers on interviewing him.

Liberty

Those kind of jerks will cause bad things to happen like “right to cross the land” as is the case some places overseas where there is essentially no such thing as trespassing unless the person is doing something else other than walking. Too big a push by elites eventually causes backlashes by the masses.

cowhornedspike

I didn't hear anything in this meeting that makes me think that we will be able to.

cowhornedspike

The rights of private property owners prevailed. Recommendation number one should establish which rivers are navigable based on the current Georgia Code and historical definitions.

That is the only thing they really recommended that does anything about this issue. Even though I don't agree with the status quo, I will be glad IF they actually define the rivers according to GA code rather than simply assuming that the COE map is adequate without regard to GA code.

FloridaFF

The recommendation for removing the Public Trust Doctrine from SB 115 is a strong statement. The lawyers represented at each meeting made it clear that the doctrine is troublesome (slippery slope).

Last edited:

cowhornedspike

Just as a refresher; here is the wording of SB 115 currently:

“The General Assembly finds that the state procured ownership of all navigable stream beds within its jurisdiction upon statehood and, as sovereign, is trustee of its peoples’ rights to use and enjoy all navigable streams capable of use for fishing, hunting, passage, navigation, commerce, and transportation, pursuant to the common law public trust doctrine. The state continues to hold title to all such stream beds, except where title in a private party originates from a valid Crown or state grant before 1863. The General Assembly further finds that the public retained the aforementioned rights under such doctrine even where private title to beds originates from a valid grant.”

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
That is the only thing they really recommended that does anything about this issue. Even though I don't agree with the status quo, I will be glad IF they actually define the rivers according to GA code rather than simply assuming that the COE map is adequate without regard to GA code.
I believe many years ago there was a list in DNR LE policy manual stating what rivers were navigable and at what point it stopped.

kayaksteve

Id bet nothing much gets clarified and this just fades away and gets forgot about

pbradley

15 pages is a lot. All I need to know is: can I wade Flat Shoals without getting shot or arrested? :biggrin2: