Florida woman, 32, is hospitalized with collapsed lungs after catching deadly infection from a venison BURGER

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've ate a million deerburgers. Don't eat rare ground meat. Pretty simple.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Every pack of ground that's ever been eaten with me in reaching distance has been missing a golf ball sized piece that I roll up raw and eat with a little salt.

No idea why but I started it as a kid. Probably kill me tomorrow

That's called steak tartar but most people add a little more than just salt. :bounce:

Buckstop

Had never heard of it when my daughter came down with toxoplasmosis when she was 11. It affected her vision in one eye. Lost about 30% of her field of view in that eye. Can stay dormant for long periods and reoccur too.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Wow ! I just grilled 2 pounds of deer burgers this morning . I always take mine off a few minutes before the rest .
Serious question , what’s the difference in eating a half done deer burger vs a 1/4 done backstrap ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Wow ! I just grilled 2 pounds of deer burgers this morning . I always take mine off a few minutes before the rest .
Serious question , what’s the difference in eating a half done deer burger vs a 1/4 done backstrap ?
The backstrap is a solid piece of meat. The ground is insides, outsides, and everything else mixed together. Freezing usually kills TPM. And it's fairly rare in venison to begin with.

tcward

The backstrap is a solid piece of meat. The ground is insides, outsides, and everything else mixed together. Freezing usually kills TPM. And it's fairly rare in venison to begin with.
And can TPM can come from processing equipment.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

furtaker

Had never heard of it when my daughter came down with toxoplasmosis when she was 11. It affected her vision in one eye. Lost about 30% of her field of view in that eye. Can stay dormant for long periods and reoccur too.
There was a guy on here named Echo (I think that's correct) who told a story about how he cooked an exceptionally rare piece of venison backstrap and started feeling ill a few days later and ended up with permanent vision loss. I believe that Echo has passed away now.

Wanderlust

If you like rare backstap (only way for me), it's best to freeze it first.
There is some risk in fresh never frozen for parasites.

slow motion

If you like rare backstap (only way for me), it's best to freeze it first.
There is some risk in fresh never frozen for parasites.
Seems to be some conflicting ideas on that. Did a search about freezing venison killing parasites. OSU says yes, CDC says no. I personally don't know the answer but I prefer no pink in venison. That said I prefer no pink in beef either. And yes I know to most that makes me some sort of monster who must be chastised and ridiculed. :p

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Seems to be some conflicting ideas on that. Did a search about freezing venison killing parasites. OSU says yes, CDC says no. I personally don't know the answer but I prefer no pink in venison. That said I prefer no pink in beef either. And yes I know to most that makes me some sort of monster who must be chastised and ridiculed. :p
It will kill TPM, which is about the only issue you might possibly run into with venison. Trichinosis not so much, but that's a pork and bear issue. Cooking is what kills it.