From Darwin to Nietzsche to Hitler

Artfuldodger

Interesting reading. It appears many individuals hated Jews. Hitler was just able to use his power to manifest what others felt. I can see something like the Holocaust happening in the US if the right person would have taken over the US in the 50's or 60's. The hatred or public outlook was already present, he just used it for his agenda.
It's hard to believe one man and even his army could have done what he did without some public assistance.
I doubt the US and other Allies were as concerned with his Jew killings as we were with his taking over the world ideas. It doesn't appear the Jews had many allies among the world. I can't defend Hitler but he wasn't the only one.
It would be like trying to make George Wallace out to being the only bigot without any support from constituents being bigots themselves. Wallace didn't make his constituents bigots. Wallace or Hitler were nothing without their followers. We as humans like to place the blame on one individual or scapegoat but that's not usually the case. There may be a ring leader but it doesn't say much for individuals if we can be lead into a hatred of fellow man campaign by just one man.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Interesting reading. It appears many individuals hated Jews. Hitler was just able to use his power to manifest what others felt. I can see something like the Holocaust happening in the US if the right person would have taken over the US in the 50's or 60's. The hatred or public outlook was already present, he just used it for his agenda.
It's hard to believe one man and even his army could have done what he did without some public assistance.
I doubt the US and other Allies were as concerned with his Jew killings as we were with his taking over the world ideas. It doesn't appear the Jews had many allies among the world. I can't defend Hitler but he wasn't the only one.
It would be like trying to make George Wallace out to being the only bigot without any support from constituents being bigots themselves. Wallace didn't make his constituents bigots. Wallace or Hitler were nothing without their followers. We as humans like to place the blame on one individual or scapegoat but that's not usually the case. There may be a ring leader but it doesn't say much for individuals if we can be lead into a hatred of fellow man campaign by just one man.

You are right Art. As a whole the entire human race has been killing and is responsible for atrocities since our earliest beginnings. As we get more advanced so do our methods for killing each other. Blaming someone else is always the scapegoat as is convincing ourselves that if it is done in the name of a higher power or with the approval of a higher power or best of them all...a higher power commands it...we just make it easier to justify it and move on.

Artfuldodger

You are right Art. As a whole the entire human race has been killing and is responsible for atrocities since our earliest beginnings. As we get more advanced so do our methods for killing each other. Blaming someone else is always the scapegoat as is convincing ourselves that if it is done in the name of a higher power or with the approval of a higher power or best of them all...a higher power commands it...we just make it easier to justify it and move on.

It's like people who eat meat but aren't willing to kill the animal themselves. Somehow eating the meat that someone else killed is OK.
Yes and as you mentioned, in times of war we all like to think God is on our side. I'm convinced Hitler thought so. If you can convince your men the the enemy is evil non humans and that you are killing them for God, it helps the cause.

660griz

It's like people who eat meat but aren't willing to kill the animal themselves. Somehow eating the meat that someone else killed is OK.
Yes and as you mentioned, in times of war we all like to think God is on our side. I'm convinced Hitler thought so. If you can convince your men the the enemy is evil non humans and that you are killing them for God, it helps the cause.

Herd mentality.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Pretend for a second that God is real, now give me the qualifications you have to judge anything He does.

If he is real then he leads by example. No one on this planet has ever done anything worse than the God of the Bible.

All of these qualities are part of humans and make us all capable of judgement. Your God is very human.

Positive Qualities
Able
Adaptable
Adventurous
Affable
Affectionate
Agreeable
Ambitious
Analytical
Assertive
Astute
Attentive
Aware
Balanced
Brave
Bright
Brilliant
Calm
Capable
Caring
Cautious
Certain
Charitable
Chirpy
Compassionate
Confident
Considerate
Consistent
Cooperative
Courageous
Conscientious
Courteous
Decisive
Dedicated
Dependable
Determined
Devoted
Disciplined
Driven
Efficient
Egalitarian
Empathetic
Enduring
Enterprising
Erudite
Faithful
Farsighted
Flexible
Focused
Forgiving
Friendly
Frugal
Generous
Gentle
Giving
Graceful
Grateful
Hardworking
Harmonious
Helpful
Honest
Humble
Humorous
Idealistic
Imaginative
Independent
Industrious
Innovative
Insightful
Inspiring
Invigorating
Joyful
Just
Kind
Logical
Loving
Loyal
Mature
Methodical
Modest
Motivating
Morality
Noble
Nurturing
Obedient
Open-minded
Optimistic
Organized
Outgoing
Passionate
Patient
Perceptive
Persevering
Poised
Polite
Practical
Professional
Punctual
Realistic
Reliable
Resourceful
Respectful
Responsible
Selfless
Sensitive
Simple
Sincere
Spontaneous
Stable
Strong-willed
Tactful
Thoughtful
Thrifty
Tolerant
Trustworthy
Understanding
Unflappable
Visionary
Vital
Warm
Willing
Wise

Negative qualities
Aggressive
Apathetic
Arrogant
Belligerent
Biased
Boastful
Boorish
Bossy
Callous
Careless
Caustic
Complacent
Conceited
Conniving
Controlling
Cowardly
Curt
Cynical
Deceitful
Dishonest
Disrespectful
Egocentric
Evil
Exacting
Fearful
Finicky
Fussy
Garrulous
Glum
Greedy
Grumpy
Harried
Harsh
Haughty
Hostile
Ignorant
Immature
Impatient
Inconsiderate
Indecisive
Insensitive
Interfering
Irresponsible
Jealous
Killjoy
Languid
Lazy
Lax
Loner
Malicious
Materialistic
Mean
Miserly
Moody
Naive
Narrow-minded
Nasty
Obnoxious
Obstinate
Outspoken
Pessimistic
Petulant
Pompous
Possessive
Quarrelsome
Quixotic
Rambunctious
Rebellious
Resentful
Rigid
Rude
Sarcastic
Scornful
Selfish
Spiteful
Stingy
Stubborn
Superficial
Taciturn
Thoughtless
Touchy
Uncouth
Ungrateful
Unreliable
Unscrupulous
Untidy
Vain
Vengeful
Vulgar
Wicked

660griz

We kill innocent babies everyday in abortion clinics...we'ns allow that to happen. What's our excuse? even without a God, what is our excuse?

Same excuse is to why I can take a fertilized chicken egg out to my front yard and burn it with a soldering iron all day and slam it on the road. However, I take a live chicken and do the same, I go to jail. Are humans and chickens the same, of course not, just showing the difference between living and being a living being. One has rights, one doesn't.

Even the bible states in Gen. 2:7, "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being."

Mammals, by definition, BREATH.

As far as Hitler and Christianity goes, I really can't blame Christians for wanting to distance one's self from him.
However, a more intellectually honest view point would be to accept him as a misguided soul. A sinner. Just like everyone else.

You would really be surprised if you knew how many misguided souls in the U.S. were cheering for Hitler. Some prominent figures did so publicly. While you may not accept their religious affiliation, I can tell you what they were NOT, atheist. :)

Latest posts