Ford 4600SU problem

FootLongDawg

I have had this tractor for about 15 years. This tractor stays at my hunting club, and does not get much use except for bush hogging and yearly food plot prep. A few years ago the inside of the gas (diesel) tank got a lot of corrosion, so I had it re-lined, and all has been fine. The last few times I have used it however, it will run for hours the suddenly accelerate or rev up then choke out. It will not re-crank however until I remove /replace the fuel filer and re-prime and after several cranks it will fire off and run again for hours. The removed fuel filters look very clean. After using 3 or 4 new filters, I don't think the filter itself is the problem. Any advise?

Dbender

It's probably running out of fuel. Is it gas or diesel? I'm assuming diesel since you said you had to prime. Does it have steel or rubber lines? I would drain the tank into a bucket get all the fuel I could out and eliminate any bad diesel. Unless you see an obvious leak somewhere and it is losing prime, I would start off simple with fuel restriction/bad fuel etc. It could be as simple as a vent issue? When it cuts out open the gas cap and listen if it sucks air. Just an idea. You've probably done all this already, but I know how it is after you've worked on something(relined the tank) and you want to make the problem bigger than what it is.

Last edited:

Buckfever

You may need to screw the fuel cut off out the bottom of the tank, and check the tank filter. I had the same problem with my dad's Supra Dexta, and just fixed my 3000 that had same issue. When you screw it out look in the tank with a flashlight and make sure you don't have any gummy globs floating in the bottom. Replacement part isn't expensive. Hope this helps.

FootLongDawg

You may need to screw the fuel cut off out the bottom of the tank, and check the tank filter. I had the same problem with my dad's Supra Dexta, and just fixed my 3000 that had same issue. When you screw it out look in the tank with a flashlight and make sure you don't have any gummy globs floating in the bottom. Replacement part isn't expensive. Hope this helps.

Are you talking about the screen that fits on the petcock?

Buckfever

The filter had broke loose on mine, and there was a gummy globs floating in the tank. I cleaned the glob out, replaced the petcock and i haven't had a problem since. My dad has always said diesel can get roppy and cause problems like that.

FootLongDawg

I changed it out when I put on the re-lined tank a few years ago. I will get a new one and see if that helps. Thanks

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
if it revs before it dies, it is starving for fuel. You probably have a small air leak somewhere on the suction side of the fuel filter that is allowing air into the system. When there is enough air, it causes a loss of suction from the fuel tank, and the reving of the engine. When you reprime after replacing the filter, you are restoring the ability to siphon fuel into the filter and up to the fuel pump. Check the suction side of the filter/pump for loose clamps, splits in hoses, anything that can let air into the system.

FootLongDawg

Well after replacing petcock strainer, fuel filter, replacing all the desiel fuel out it cranked and ran for about 15 minutes. Now it will not crank. I took it to the shop.

rospaw

My thought is the primer diaphragm.
The diaphragm in the primer gets small cracks due to age and fail but will fail then work for awhile and fail.

I little 20-40psi compress air with a pointy air blower on the end, stuck into a tennis ball/small rubber ball with a 1/4 inch hole drilled through it. Stick the blower in one hole on the tennis ball, place the other over the fuel filler hole. Give it a little air (while holding down on the ball) pressure and watch/listen for the leak. This will also prime a stubborn fuel system while turning it over.

FootLongDawg

Well the shop called today and said it was a simple matter of not installing the little rubber gaskets that are supplied with the filter on correctly. The way I was putting them on was starving the engine of fuel. It makes perfect sense with what was happening with my tractor. The only problem is I have been using NAPA filters for many years and never had any problems the way I was installing them. The guy says he will show me what I was doing wrong when I pick it up. I can't imagine what I was doing wrong cause there is only one seal that goes on top of the filter, one on the bottom, and a very small o-ring style seal that fits around the top of the stem that runs through the filter. Anyway, I am really happy if this is the problem cause I was thinking I might need a new fuel pump.

Last edited:

Buckfever

Well the shop called today and said it was a simple matter of not installing the little rubber gaskets that are supplied with the filter on correctly. The way I was putting them on was starving the engine of fuel. It makes perfect sense with what was happening with my tractor. The only problem is I have been using NAPA filters for many years and never had any problems the way I was installing them. The guy says he will show me what I was doing wrong when I pick it up. I can't imagine what I was doing wrong cause there is only one seal that goes on top of the filter, one on the bottom, and a very small o-ring style seal that fits around the top of the stem that runs through the filter. Anyway, I am really happy if this is the problem cause I was thinking I might need a new fuel pump.

Good to hear it was simple.