fort stewart hog hunting

Mweathers

Seriously. Year round hog hunting sounds great. I have got to do this at Ft. Stewart. Do they have a place you can set up a tent and camp?

They have a very nice campground at Ft Stewart, just east of the Pass and Permit Center on hwy 114.

snookman

I was invited to go down and hunt Ft. Stewart with an awesome Person. Some of you guys on here probably Know him "Capt. Stan". It kills me that I haven't taken him up on that invite YET! Some of the pictures and stories he shared with me really got me goin. He probably knows that area better or as good as anyone. He is the man on Ft. Stewart

STRYCNINE

APPENDIX C. LEGAL HUNTING WEAPONS FOR FS/HAAF
SPECIES
TIME PERIOD
LEGAL WEAPON
FERAL HOG
SMALL GAME SEASON THRU DAY BEFORE DEER BLACK POWDER SEASON
SMALL GAME WEAPONS*
BLACK-POWDER SEASON
BLACK POWDER RIFLES
DEER FIREARMS SEASON
BIG GAME FIREARMS**
DAY AFTER DEER FIREARMS SEASON THRU END OF SMALL GAME SEASON
BIG GAME FIREARMS***

DAY AFTER SMALL GAME SEASON THRU DAY BEFORE TURKEY SEASON
BIG GAME FIREARMS
TURKEY SEASON
ARCHERY****
DAY AFTER TURKEY SEASON THRU DAY BEFORE OPENING OF SMALL GAME SEASON
BIG GAME FIREARMS

*Small Game Weapons-Any .22-cal or smaller rim-fire rifle or handgun, or air rifle, or any shotgun having a shot-shell size 3.5 inches or smaller in length with # 2 or smaller shot, or any black-powder shotgun loaded with #2 shot or smaller. Contrary to state law, black-powder rifles are not considered small game weapons on FS/HAAF.

**Big Game Firearms-Any .22-cal or larger center fire rifles with expanding bullets, and any shotgun 20 gauge or larger loaded with slugs, or any muzzle-loading rifle (scopes allowed) or pistol .44-cal or larger. Use of buckshot is prohibited.

***Hunting with big game firearms is allowed only in certain areas during this period. Hunters using big game weapons must check in to hunt "hogs" or "coyotes", not "small game". The automated system will not allow hunters to check in to hunt "hogs" or "coyotes" in areas where hunting with big game weapons is not authorized. Hunters checked in to hunt "small game" may take hogs or coyotes with small game weapons. Areas designated for hog hunting with big game weapons will be jointly agreed to by DPW, DFMWR, and DES staff prior to the start of big game season. Unless agreed otherwise, areas east of Hwy 119 will be open for big game weapons in the 2011-12 hunting season, and the designation will alternate between areas east and west of Hwy 119 in subsequent years.

****Hogs may only be hunted in "Archery Only" areas during turkey season. Turkey hunters may take coyotes using turkey weapons in "Rifle" and "Shotgun" areas.

*****Turkey Weapons-Modern Shotguns and muzzle-loading shotguns with # 2 shot or smaller. Long bows, compound bows, and crossbows with scopes are allowed.

You can hunt in areas A, B and C with centerfire rifle..........choose option 8. I talked to Mr Harvey and that's the info he gave me. Just call the automated call in system.........it explains it pretty well.

Last edited:
This is why they should make Ft.Stewart like Ft.Benning..open to Military,Retired Military, DOD employees..

Firewiz25

Sounds like a real nice place to hog hunt. I got a buddy that keeps asking me to join him on a hunt down there, sounds like I need to take him up on the offer.

Bobby38ark

I have been in C-18, C-17, A-1,A-2, A-3, A-16, A-17, A-18,B1, B23, B24 all within the last 3 weeks and have seen 2 hogs which were to far away to shoot. Even ran into the man the other day in B-23 and have seen nothing in the woods but old roots. I ask him where to go for hogs and he said stick to all the F areas, that is the only place there is anything. So headed up that way.

Bobby38ark

Actually if you hunt East of 119 leading from Ft Stewart to Pembroke, you can still use rifles and you have to be wearing orange. That is in the revision.

UNluckE1`

This is why they should make Ft.Stewart like Ft.Benning..open to Military,Retired Military, DOD employees..

Because someone is confused about the regs? As far as I'm concerned my tax dollars are supporting that base and if anyone should get to hunt it it should be me !

I was out there today and seemed I had the place to myself...just a word of caution for everybody to remember..from now until March 1 it's nothing larger than a .22 mag unless it's a muzzleloader... almost made the mistake myself without even thinking about the date until I went to check-in and it wouldn't let me in the area...All the sign I found today was several days old and the freshest was WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY back in the swamp..
~Nautical Son~ not yara

Not exactly so. I am told by the GW that any center fire rifle is okay for hogs up to Turkey season. You must stay in Alfa, Baker and Charlie areas and when you check in you must use the hog option.
Jim Clausen

Bobby38ark

Jim, you are almost correct, you can hunt the A,B and C area with any rifle but you have to be wearing your hunter's orange to do so. Any area that is East of 119 is Rifle. All the D, E and F area are small rimfire or shotgun. But I will let you know that alot of the areas are closed the next couple weeks due to training. I live 15 mins from post and hunt some areas almost every day. Also, there are not very many being found or harvested, most are moving at night and since you can't hunt here at night. Not alot of action. Myself and my children went out and walked the B and C areas for about 7 miles one day and 8 the next, and seen alot of old signs, nothing fresh, no matter where you go.

1ncamo

Because someone is confused about the regs? As far as I'm concerned my tax dollars are supporting that base and if anyone should get to hunt it it should be me !

Im with you.

Your tax dollars are paying for alot of things you dont get to use; tanks, helicopters, aircraft carriers.... In fact, your tax dollars are paying for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Im sure you could be of some use over there.

Bcrow08

Hunting Buddy

Been in Savannah for about 2 years... Usually hunt around Ben Hill Co.; tired of driving 4 hrs to hunt... Up for any size game... I Use a .308 or a CB when out of season...

Looking for a friend to hunt with that knows a bit about Ft. Stewart and surrounding areas...

Thanks! :flag:

Bobby38ark

Went out a couple hours this evening and seen one hog, which the vultures were pretty happy with, would say about 150 lbs, before hand. 2 turkeys and about 6-8 deer ran the road in front of me. Back out again tomorrow....