Frozen Butt

TinKnocker

A few weeks ago I smoked a few butts for my cousin to sell on his food truck. Had a full 8# butt leftover so I froze it to eat later. I put it in the fridge to thaw the last 2 days. It's still whole, didn't chop it up before freezing.

How would you reheat it? Oven? Smoker?

TinKnocker

Oven, wrapped well.
I tossed it in the freezer still in the butcher paper. Also added a layer of foil wrap. Toss it in as is?

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
A few weeks ago I smoked a few butts for my cousin to sell on his food truck. Had a full 8# butt leftover so I froze it to eat later. I put it in the fridge to thaw the last 2 days. It's still whole, didn't chop it up before freezing.

How would you reheat it? Oven? Smoker?

Pull it first, then wrap it in foil and pop it in the oven.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I've never frozen a whole butt unpulled. But if it's thawed, I'd pull it down and reheat in an oven or large slow cooker using apple juice as a liquid to prevent drying out.

GA1dad

I freeze 1/2 butts, unpulled, pretty frequently. If you vacuum seal them, thaw, then reheat the still sealed bag in boiling water, they seem almost freshly cooked when you open them.

specialk

I freeze 1/2 butts, unpulled, pretty frequently. If you vacuum seal them, thaw, then reheat the still sealed bag in boiling water, they seem almost freshly cooked when you open them.

you know what, i seal my chopped butts and normally thaw and heat up in a pan or oven and its a little dry, but after mixing in sauce its ok.....but i notice the grease sticks to the inside of the bag, by boiling it that would liquidfy the grease...gonna try that!!

leroy

Ive frozen many whole got couple in freezer now, pop it in oven, wrapped in the foil, heat it up and bust into it. Ive reheated them from 250 to 350 according to how soon i needed it done, never been disappointed with the method

Mike 65

I usually smoke 6-8 butts at a time.I vacuum seal mine and Heat it in the bag in boiling water. Comes out just as good as the day I froze it.