Fuel Mileage for Chev.

skiff20

I'm looking to get a Chev 2500 with a 6.0 V8. Can anyone give me an idea on what kind of fuel mileage I will be looking at? Just average, and pulling a camper of about 7000 pounds.

lonewolf247

I've owned two Chevy/GMC 2500HD's with the 6.0 engine. It's a great engine, and does all I need it to do. Both 4x4, empty in the city, 15 mpg, pulling, probably 10-12 mpg, unless it's something really heavy, in hilly terrain, or your running it hard, then prolly 8mpg.
That would be my guesses. I've owned 3 half-ton z71's too. Close to the same empty, pulling the half-tons struggle a lot more!

transfixer

The ones with the 6spds might get over 12 or 13 around the city, but mine with the 4spd 4L80e transmission does good if I ever get 12, but its crewcab, 4wd, with 285/75/16 rather agressive tires on it, the tires are probably eating at least a mpg. But I bought it because the combination of 6.0 and 4L80e is almost bulletproof.

skiff20

Thanks for the replies. I've currently drive a 1500 and get about 21 mpg on the road, I did get 27 coming back from Cherokee one time. I get about 14 pulling 3000 lb. boat. I really wanted to get a 2500 but between the mpg and the rougher ride I am having a hard time to make the leap.

transfixer

Thanks for the replies. I've currently drive a 1500 and get about 21 mpg on the road, I did get 27 coming back from Cherokee one time. I get about 14 pulling 3000 lb. boat. I really wanted to get a 2500 but between the mpg and the rougher ride I am having a hard time to make the leap.

If you could find a 1500 with a 6.0 and a 3.73 rear end ratio, you'd get decent mileage and still have the extra power, most all the 2500's I've seen have 4.10 rear end ratios and thats what kills the mileage. I'd love for mine to have a 3.73

WishboneW

If you could find a 1500 with a 6.0 and a 3.73 rear end ratio, you'd get decent mileage and still have the extra power, most all the 2500's I've seen have 4.10 rear end ratios and thats what kills the mileage. I'd love for mine to have a 3.73

Just change the gears!

95g atl

They made these combo's from 1999 thru 2019 w/the 6.0 engine.
BTW, heck of a bulletproof engine. Many last well more than 300,000 miles.

I owned a 2007 way back when. Towed 7000 lbs with it and mileage was 10 ish towing w/3.73's. Highway cruise empty yielded 16.
Hope that helps.

Bigtimber

10-12 empty.....loaded up....7 or 8. Mine likes the fuel.

lonewolf247

You really have to evaluate your need for the 1500 vs the 2500. I always did a lot of towing, and for years, I got by, with a 1500 series truck. Back then I probably towed heavier loads more often, and further distances, using a 1500 than I do now with a 2500. However, I felt like a was always pushing it's limits, and just getting by! That said, I switched to a 2500HD, two trucks ago, and likely stay with a 2500HD for a while.

I tow my boat down to the gulf, several times a year. It's not extremely heavy, but it's a 3 hour drive one way, and I just feel it's a much more stable pull for distances, and better transmission for handling the summer heat, with a load.

I also pull my tractor and implements, to the hunting club a few times a year, and it's prolly close to 10,000 lbs.

I find the fuel mileage empty, to be really close to the half ton z71's that I had before. Of course these were before active fuel management in the 1500. So the newer 1500's should see an improvement today.

As far as the ride, I will not kid you! It all depends on the road with the 2500HD. If your on a very smooth road, or an interstate, going hwy speeds, it will ride like a Cadillac! If you get on a very bumpy road with potholes, it will punish you! Here in Louisiana, we have a few bad roads, and it's rough on those. Overall, it's ok, and rides well, but on bad roads, it will let you know. It does not soak up bumps like a 1500 truck.

So bottom line, it comes down to what you need. If you tow a lot, or tow heavy loads, probably the 2500. If you drive empty most of the time, and don't tow too heavy, a 1500 series might do what you need.

T-N-T

I owned a 2005 with the 6.0
I could get 14 on a long trip empty. And got 7 giving it what for towing 6,000 pounds of camper on a 6 hour ride
Average was about 11

T-N-T

Oh, and door, 4x4 with 4.11 gears

skiff20

Thanks again for all the honest information. It's really hard to get someone to tell the truth about their MPG. I usually just tow my boat, (about 2300 lbs.) a lot. I take it down to the Fla. and Ala. coast 4 or 5 times a year and a camper, (around 6500 lbs.) 7 or 8 times a year but usually within 100 miles of home. I think I am just going to stick with my 1500.

ryanh487

I have a ram 2500 with the 6.4 hemi. I get 11 mpg on average with my daily commute, but can get as high as 16 on extended highway trips with no traffic. I would expect similar from the Chevy. Less if you upgrade the tires or lift it at all, and probably 8-9 mpg while towing.