Garage Door Opener Question?

Meriwether Mike

I am posting this because I am sure someone on Woodys will know whats happening or has had this issue before. When we get these really cold mornings and I activate my garage door opener switch it will open about 12 to 15 inches and stop. I then have to activate the switch to bring it back down and then when I hit it again and it goes up fine. Any suggestions on how to correct this issue? It is more of a nuisance than a problem, but if the fix is simple I would like to correct it. Thanks for any ideas.

QuakerBoy

this could possibly be fixed by adjusting the "up" tension. Do you have the manual for the opener? It will tell you how to adjust this. Usually just a screwdriver is needed.....at least on the older models.

Duff

SS,

Rpaul is exactly right about the up tension. First release the door from the operator rail. Roll the door by hand and notice if the door is hard to pull up off the floor or if it is heavy as it comes down to the floor. If the door doesn't feel very heavy find the UP Force screw located on the unit and turn it up(but not over 7). There should be 2 screws for the travel limits(up and down) and 2 for the force applied to the door, make sure it is the force screw. This applies to most of todays operators. If you have the torsion springs across the door header, soak them w/WD 40 as well as the hinges and rollers on the door.

If the door feels "heavy" you need tension applied to your springs. If you try to do this your self, please be careful. The springs are under alot of tension and will make a mess of your hands if you don't watch it. Give me a call tomorrow SS if you need to and we'll see if we can't get you going. 706-319-1629

Randall