Georgia's Deer Management Plan draft now available for comment

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Am I missing something ????

Is this another of the thousands of baiting rant threads or is it about the 10 year plan ??? :rolleyes:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Let's get this back on topic-this thread is about the WRD management plan, which has absolutely nothing to do with baiting regulations. They are outside the scope of this plan. There are plenty of baiting threads to argue in, lets keep this one about the original topic.

t8ter

I think the Prob in NGA mnts is not the number of tags it's no restriction on a daily tag limit.With only 3 or 4 doe days this creates a frenzy.I call it the "fill up the truck"syndrome.Hunters will crash a spot and kill out the whole herd.No we don't need more doe days and I'm fine with the current limit.Just should t be able to wipe out the whole herd in any given spot.
I watched a dnr show on tv.The dnr had take. A fawn that a dope head was raising.They took it to a animal rehab.At the end of the show it showed em release it back into the wild.They had to atleast have 5 to 6 deer to release with it.The dnr ask why.Lady said it takes that many whitetail to form a herd.Any less and the odds where the deer would never make it in the wild.Granted it wasn't in Ga but I'm sure the concept of a herd still works here.Second week of December just take a look at your deer herd.Id bet most are yearlings at this time.We can't expect yearling herds to make it threw the winter.What if that "fill the truck up"hunter just shoots all the mature does?With a daily high limit,this is what's going to happen.Do a 2 deer a day limit.1 buck(using 1 of your buck tags)and a doe or 1 doe.Or even a 2 doe limit.Im saying to do this only on the doe days.

huntfish

I
It's not just the members on here who are complaining about the declining numbers. There are plenty of others who aren't members here and did not respond to the survey or attend any of the public input meetings who see the same thing.

Lee,
Just an observation. If plenty of others are not speaking out or participating, how does one know if they are complaining? :huh:

HuntinDawg89

I thought I was going to read a PLAN, but all I see is a bunch of survey results. I skimmed the document and the table of contents and I read most of the executive summary. I don't see a PLAN. I don't want to read all the details of the survey (I know that it was necessary but since I'm not formulating the plan I don't want to read the survey data). I just want to know what, if anything, is being proposed. Where is the proposed PLAN? Different document? Am I missing something here? I'm guessing I am, just point me to it.

I thought I was going to read a PLAN, but all I see is a bunch of survey results. I skimmed the document and the table of contents and I read most of the executive summary. I don't see a PLAN. I don't want to read all the details of the survey (I know that it was necessary but since I'm not formulating the plan I don't want to read the survey data). I just want to know what, if anything, is being proposed. Where is the proposed PLAN? Different document? Am I missing something here? I'm guessing I am, just point me to it.

Not sure you are missing anything - but I don't wish to be controversial !!:love:

:cool::banana::pop::clap:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Lee,
Just an observation. If plenty of others are not speaking out or participating, how does one know if they are complaining? :huh:

Of course it's anecdotal and it's always a possibility you could be stuck in an echo chamber but I run into lots of hunters that are not members here and many of them echo the same sentiment. The fact the WRD biologists have expressed concern and acted on that concern tells me the scientific data supports the anecdotal information.

Since I served on one of the committees I got to spend time with John and Charlie and talk about the problem. From what I got from them they see acting now in a minimalist way until the new plan is adopted is better than waiting until later and having to take draconian action.

There are plenty of hunters who say their population is plentiful and healthy. That belies the fact over the last several years the fawn recruitment rate has been dropping statewide and the doe harvest numbers indicate an unsustainable harvest rate. Better to make corrections now rather than wait until the problem becomes statewide.

mature buck

I do not have any scientific degrees, but what would happen if hunters killed same number of does as bucks for ten years?

DFarm

I have to say that after attending the public meeting last night in Douglasville the purpose and goals of the plan are more clear. Special thanks to John Bowers and his team for their time and patience. They stayed very late and answered every question. I don't necessarily agree with all aspects of the plan or the process but I do now understand the limitations of the DNR and the power of our legislature in regard to hunting regulations. I will also say that I was disappointed in the turnout. Whether this is due to short notice or folks just not being connected I don't know. We must all get involved if we want to be part of the process and affect the outcome. We have power in our votes and our collective voice. I understand there is still time to submit online comments so jump on in.

cowhornedspike

Attended the meeting in Leesburg on Tuesday and came away with better understanding like DFarm described. Excellent presentation by John Bowers and crew. They have a tough job and there is no way they can make all of us happy but I support what they do and how the decisions are made.

308 WIN

I will also say that I was disappointed in the turnout. Whether this is due to short notice or folks just not being connected I don't know.

I'm sure most here would love to attend, and I'm also sure most here work for a living and have to get up early, some very early. I can't stay up on a week night at a meeting 45 minutes away from my bed. I bet the email comment box has been full though. We do what we can.

The Fever

I'm glad you know so much that just isn't so. Keep up the good work!

Apparently you believe when the reality on the ground reveals your plan isn't working because of future unforeseen circumstances you should stick to your plan no matter what happens. Now there's a sure fire formula for success!

The fact of the matter is the scientific data indicates sticking to the current plan would have an even bigger impact on the declining deer population and it is declining at an accelerating rate. The real science proves the anecdotal observations. WRD recognized this and concluded something had to be done in the interim until the current plan expires and a new one is put in place that addresses the reality.

WRD has always had control of either sex days. Rather than stick to the current plan for two more years and then have to make draconian changes with the new plan they used their control of either sex days to start acting in a reserved manner now to address the problem within the confines of the existing plan. Their approach in that regard was to roll back only the last change made to either sex days by them during the time period for the existing plan, hardly a major departure from the existing plan. That is all spelled out in the plan document. There is no subterfuge or hidden agenda here. In fact they provided us with a timetable showing all the changes that were made during the existing plan to prove what they said they were doing was the truth.

It's pretty obvious no matter how much proof is presented WRD did in fact seek major public input on the new plan over a lengthy time period and tailored the new plan to that public input including the consensus of the deer hunters who served on the various subcommittees your lying eyes would still insist "we get what we get".

We were not presented a plan and told to vote on it. We were presented with topics that the public input meetings identified as concerns for Georgia deer hunters. They provided us with the tabulations of all that input to prove it. Each subcommittee was given our choice of which topics we would address. Those of us on the Piedmont subcommittee selected our topics from the group of topics based on a consensus of what the most important ones were. We debated each topic fully with no interference from the WRD discussion leaders with the exception of them explaining the actual science dealing with the topic. They did not "steer" us in the direction they wanted us to go. I'm certain the other sub committees operated exactly the same way.

All of our recommendations were voted on by us and most of them were unanimous. The few that weren't were a consensus of the majority that the minority could "live with".

The new plan document as presented represents verbatim the recommendations made by our committee. More importantly, the recommendations made by the other committees closely conform to many of the recommendations made by us not to mention those recommendations closely follow what was recorded at the public input meetings. It is clear to me there is a broad consensus statewide among the public about what needs to be done, the steering committee recognized this consensus and the plan reflects exactly that without modification.

Perhaps you think those of us who served on the sub committees were hand picked "WRD Lackeys and Bootlickers" so that a predetermined outcome could be achieved? I don't care. I personally know many of the people who served on the committees and they are "straight up". Again, I don't care what your personal opinion of them or me is. I know otherwise to be the truth and that's all that matters to me. If any of us had an inkling we were being forced to swallow what was being fed to us every one of us would have walked and broadcast it on here and everywhere else all the live long day.

In our subcommittee meetings it was indicated to us WRD may be willing to further decrease the either sex days at even the county level if they believe the data indicates such a restriction would be warranted so don't be surprised if after the new plan is approved by the G.A. WRD does exactly that at some point in the future because no plan of action survives the first shot fired.

Lastly, everybody at WRD involved in White Tail deer management in this state is an avid deer hunter. It takes a huge stretch from reality to suggest their motivations are grounded in anything other than preserving the resource they love just as much as you. It's why they do what they do. It sure isn't the money and the love of abuse from uninformed people like yourself.

Instead of casting insinuations maybe you should get to know some of those people on a personal basis, their character and actually learn something about the science behind modern day wildlife management and the people charged with doing that? Who knows? Reality just might change your perception so it more closely aligns with reality.

Distrust of government is a healthy thing. Offering opinions based on uninformed supposition and no facts is just, well, you know.:rolleyes:

So much logic. My head hurts.

hipster dufus

does anyone have the dates for next years hunting seaso? 2015-2016 deer season. trying to schedule vacation dates

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
does anyone have the dates for next years hunting seaso? 2015-2016 deer season. trying to schedule vacation dates

There is a sticky at the top that shows the guidelines for deer season dates