Giving the tree saddle a try this season.

Fishin & Hunting

For the last four years I have been wanting to try out using a tree saddle. I like the idea that they open up the number of trees you can get into, giving you a better chance at a not being seen. Wanted to try it before I get too old to hang from a tree. Bought Cruzr XC model with helium sticks. Happy with my choice of saddle but disappointed in the quality of the sticks. Been practicing in the yard climbing and shooting, getting ready for the season. If I would have known better, I would have done it a bit different on my gear selection, but it is a learning curve. I wish I would have started with the 8mm lineman's belt and tree tether. It would have been cheaper to buy the system piece by piece, but I bought the kit. I think buying the kit was the right thing to do because at first, I wouldn't have known what to buy. I also found Eastern Woods Outdoors was a great place to buy accessories.

For those who already have a season in the saddle, what have you learned.

scottyd917

1. I have learned that most times slower and meticulous is quicker in regards to climbing and set-up.
  2. I noticed in my beginning stages of saddle hunting that I had the tendency to sway back and fourth or fidget. I learned to cut that out quickly after being busted several times.
  3. I learned that it is best not to skimp on equipment. It is an expensive method of hunting to get started in. Buy quality stuff once with no regrets. I learned that when buying equipment, even if it turns out you don't like it, usually the re-sale market for quality equipment is great. Not so much for the cheaper stuff.
  4. Seat-time and repetition trumps all; the more you use this method, the better/easier/more comfortable it gets.
  5. Take what you read on the internet with a grain of salt. Everyone's body is different, set the saddle up to your liking and comfort based on experience/use.
  6. Don't be afraid to make adjustments. Sometimes moving a rope or hitch just an inch can make a significant impact in comfortability, maneuverability, and functionality. Constantly try new configurations of rope heights, lengths, and positions until you find what works best for you.

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Boy you did it now! I started saddle hunting last year and being on a tight budget, bought a Hawk saddle and a set of hawk sticks to get up the tree. Shortly thereafter, I put a cam cleat on 1 and am 1 stick climbing now and of course rappelling down!
Really like points 1 & 6 from Scotty! BTW-I too have Eastern Woods Outdoors invoices…..several!
What have I learned? so much, but barely scratching the surface!
When I first started, I sat most of the time. The back band was necessary in order to be comfortable….Hawk saddle came with one!
I added a few ROS (Hawk monkey bars), to my platform strap to help get further around the tree. In order to get around the tree, your tether needs to be longer and for me, higher. This adjustment has me leaning now, most of the time…..I will sit and lay my arms across my bridge to take naps. Those steps allow a variety of foot positions, but most importantly for me is the comfort factor. I didn’t even get the back band out or use it the last half of season.
Few other things I learned…
I can replace and or modify every attachment method ….OCB for platform!
I will buy stuff I don’t need….endlessly to try it.
I want to learn SRT climbing method….a few others too

My best improvement came at the base of the tree. At first, I climbed up, then raised my bow. The fiddling and set up at the base was a mess. Now I carry my 1 stick, bow on my pack. I get to tree and attach stick, tether and start climbing.

Sargent

I've had a saddle for probably 14 years (an old bulky original Tree Saddle). It is still pretty light and comfortable. I know the new ones are more advanced, using ropes instead of straps- but I like my setup.

I will add that kneepads are your friends.

I am also one of the oddballs that gun hunts out of a saddle. They're that versatile. It takes a little getting used to, but it is possible.

I'll reiterate a couple of points: Don't get in too big of a hurry. Practice. When you're not hunting and have some spare time, just hang out and try different positions. Put yourself in different scenarios.

I am going to upgrade sticks in the next few weeks. Don't know if I'll ever do one of the other methods of climbing (although the rope methods seem fun). j

I think this is one of the safest and most enjoyable ways to hunt. Good luck to you.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Forgot the knee pads! A definite for me too! I just use the cheap foam ones from Wally World. But I did replace the Velcro with a clip type strap….I take no Velcro to the woods.

Fishin & Hunting

tried and liked the knee pads last time I practiced.

What is "OCB for platform "

XJfire75

Welcome to the rabbit hole lol. Killed my biggest buck last year from my Hawk saddle. Done some upgrades and tinkering this off-season and will be in it a lot this fall. It’s about my only go to for hang and bang hunts anymore even with climbers and lightweight hang ons I’ve got in the garage.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
tried and liked the knee pads last time I practiced.

What is "OCB for platform "

Over center buckle. It’s a strap connector that actually cams over and gets really tight. I’ve tried several methods and it’s easily my favorite. With a the platform or ROS strap you want it as tight as possible. There are many ways to skin this cat……but check out an OCB, from EWO!

Akerns

Same. First year bowhunting too. Needless to say I underestimated the amount of new gear I would end up needing

feathersnantlers

I am trying it for real this year as well. I got a Cruzr XC and Skeletor sticks. Been using the set-up to prune trees in my back yard. I just ordered a set of aiders of Etsy from The Real Amsteel Guy after watching his Youtube vid. I think I'll get as high I want now. I also got Bullman Outdoors Ring of Steps. I can wait for hunting season. My entire hunting set-up probably weighs 15 lbs and its highly mobile. This will fit in on a backpack and in my bike basket so I can get deep and quick on public land

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I am trying it for real this year as well. I got a Cruzr XC and Skeletor sticks. Been using the set-up to prune trees in my back yard. I just ordered a set of aiders of Etsy from The Real Amsteel Guy after watching his Youtube vid. I think I'll get as high I want now. I also got Bullman Outdoors Ring of Steps. I can wait for hunting season. My entire hunting set-up probably weighs 15 lbs and its highly mobile. This will fit in on a backpack and in my bike basket so I can get deep and quick on public land
I am trying so hard to not push the buy it now button on my ebike. If I do hold out, I’ll have it next year for sure. I am so with this^^^^^! I can think of so many places I’d go, will go.
I climbed today and sat in my saddle, using my short stick with 2 step aider and mini platform on top. Definitely prefer my long stick with single aider, platform ROS setup. @feathersnantlers you got my wheels spinning again! I don’t mean to jump off topic, but imma have a talk with the wife this evening regarding the ebike issue.
I don’t care for multi step aiders, but many folks like them…..and I need an ebike….what:huh:

dang

DANG !!!
Over center buckle. It’s a strap connector that actually cams over and gets really tight. I’ve tried several methods and it’s easily my favorite. With a the platform or ROS strap you want it as tight as possible. There are many ways to skin this cat……but check out an OCB, from EWO!
If you don’t get this buckle, a nice tip to set your platform is to stand on the top of the post once you’re tethered in and use your toe to tip the platform up, this will cause it to drop an inch or two, then cam the platform back over hard and she ain’t goin nowhere. Works for lock on stands too.

Latest posts