Tree saddle recommendations.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I’m looking for a tree saddle for my son. He’s a tall skinny young man that wants to retire his climbers and transition to a tree saddle. I do not know anything about brands/manufacturers or prices. I definitely want something that is safe but I also don’t want to have to rob a bank to be able to afford one.
I would like to hear from the guy’s that are already using one and get your input before I start spending money on one. Also, do they come as a complete package or will I have to purchase everything separately?
I appreciate your input.

blood on the ground

Also I understand that there are threads already on here about saddle hunting. This is my starting point! Have a great weekend and thank you in advance!

Away

I use a tethrd phantom from time to time. They are the most known and seem to have the best reviews. You'll probably need to plan on purchasing the saddle, platform, climbing sticks and whatever ropes don't come with the saddle (need a lineman's rope and tree tether). Sometimes you can find it sold as a kit.

Sorry it's been a few years since I researched and purchased mine, so don't recall the specifics.

Probably gonna be in it for at least $500.

Deerhunter12454

Tethrd phantom is what I use. Comfortable but you can get hip pinch on how you set it up. Through their website you should be able to order the whole kit. Their sticks are expensive but I use climbing spurs tree arborist use

sportsman94

I use the cruzr xc saddle. Had a trophy line before that. If you’re willing to buy used on FB you can sometimes find decent deals. You will need a climbing method, saddle, lineman’s rope, tether rope, as well as some sort of platform

dang

DANG !!!
The thing with a saddle that he’s gotta understand that’s different from a climber is it ain’t a one and done purchase. There are a lot of other “things” that go along with making the switch besides just buying the saddle.

dang

DANG !!!
That said, I have a tetherd phantom and I like it. If you want an itemized list of everything hed need message me, I put together one for a friend not that long ago and have it handy.

jbogg

I have used the JX 3 Hybrid for four years. It comes with a tether, lineman’s belt, basically everything except for your climbing method. It’s as comfortable as any climber. No knee pads needed, and it can double as a frame pack. It’s nothing like a traditional saddle, other than the fact that you are suspended by a tether.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
All the above and my Hawk saddle is pretty great for under $200 and it got me in this rabbit hole called saddle hunting…..no regrets, I LOVE IT! but I’ll probably get a cruzr next time. So many options and methods. More than likely, he’s gonna be 1 sticking, then rappelling down. I’d rappel down no matter how I got up the tree.
I have several climbing sticks and I even have a short stick with mini platform, cam cleat, aider and amsteel cord etc….send me a pm if you’d like to hear more !

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have used the JX 3 Hybrid for four years. It comes with a tether, lineman’s belt, basically everything except for your climbing method. It’s as comfortable as any climber. No knee pads needed, and it can double as a frame pack. It’s nothing like a traditional saddle, other than the fact that you are suspended by a tether.
And this too is worth looking into which I will again when I get ready to buy another. I’ve never heard anything but rave reviews on this thing!

jax

I have hunted out of a saddle the past couple of years. As someone mentioned earlier, there is several items needed besides the saddle. Also, what works for one may not work for another. It’s a great thing if you like to tinker.
I currently use an Aerohunter Kestrel saddle. I’ve had several Aerohunter’s. I’ve tried Latitudes and the Dryad as well. The quality of Aerohunter products is very good.
I’m running a Trophyline Mission platform and it works fine.
I like to use pre-set climbing sticks, but I use Hawk Heliums if I don’t have a pre-set.
I’m running a HSS webbing strap linesman’s belt. The linesman strap can be used in place of using knee pads for sitting.
I run a tether made by Arbsession, it’s made from Edelrid Swift 8.9 mm rope with a 5.5 mm Beal Jammy prusik.
I also run an Amsteel bridge on my saddles.

blood on the ground

I have hunted out of a saddle the past couple of years. As someone mentioned earlier, there is several items needed besides the saddle. Also, what works for one may not work for another. It’s a great thing if you like to tinker.
I currently use an Aerohunter Kestrel saddle. I’ve had several Aerohunter’s. I’ve tried Latitudes and the Dryad as well. The quality of Aerohunter products is very good.
I’m running a Trophyline Mission platform and it works fine.
I like to use pre-set climbing sticks, but I use Hawk Heliums if I don’t have a pre-set.
I’m running a HSS webbing strap linesman’s belt. The linesman strap can be used in place of using knee pads for sitting.
I run a tether made by Arbsession, it’s made from Edelrid Swift 8.9 mm rope with a 5.5 mm Beal Jammy prusik.
I also run an Amsteel bridge on my saddles.
A lot of what you said is so foreign to me, you could’ve been speaking French and I wouldn’t have known! Not being a Smart Alec but, can you tell me what all the items like a Amsteel bridge and Beal Jammy prusik is? I have no clue… forgive me for my ignorance!

Last edited:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
A lot of what you said is so foreign to me, you could’ve been speaking French and I wouldn’t have known! Not being a Smart Alec but, can you tell me what all the items like a Amsteel bridge and Beal Jammy prusik is? I have no clue… forgive me for my ignorance!
I got you brother! Come see me so I can show you my toys!

AllTerrainAngler

Any of the major brands are a good staffing point. Trophyline, Tethrd, Cruzr, Latitude, etc. it’s all preference. I picked up a trophyline kit this season. They sell bundles with everything you need. Saddle, ropes, sticks, platform. I have the covert and venatic. Both extremely comfortable. I went with the mission platform because I like to move a lot. Get bored and might swing around the tree. Who knows. For the sticks I put an EWO ULTIMAIDER on the first step. EWO wire aiders on 2-4. Easily 25-30’ depending. I haven’t messed with changing out the cam buckles because I don’t care for the amsteel craze just yet. Ropeman 1 for my tether and once I get it set I attack the prison knot also for that extra protection. I haven’t added anything to the platform but you can get stealth tape for everything. I haven’t seen a need yet. I carry the trophyline Platow pack. It holds sticks and platform plus there’s room for the essentials. If you plan to really trek they have the palisade or Sumter packs. If you want I can grab some pictures of my setup later. Such as how I get sticks up, platform, etc. it takes me maybe 15 minutes to fully setup and it’s much quieter and stable than a climber. I can also get you a discount code for trophy line for 15% off.

OffTheBeatnPath

I've got a cruzr archon. I love it and it's much easier to be able to get in just about any tree. Once you tune it in to your needs, it's comfortable and efficient. Just takes some messing around to see what all works for you best. I think lattitude or cruzr just had a pretty good black friday sale

blood on the ground

Any of the major brands are a good staffing point. Trophyline, Tethrd, Cruzr, Latitude, etc. it’s all preference. I picked up a trophyline kit this season. They sell bundles with everything you need. Saddle, ropes, sticks, platform. I have the covert and venatic. Both extremely comfortable. I went with the mission platform because I like to move a lot. Get bored and might swing around the tree. Who knows. For the sticks I put an EWO ULTIMAIDER on the first step. EWO wire aiders on 2-4. Easily 25-30’ depending. I haven’t messed with changing out the cam buckles because I don’t care for the amsteel craze just yet. Ropeman 1 for my tether and once I get it set I attack the prison knot also for that extra protection. I haven’t added anything to the platform but you can get stealth tape for everything. I haven’t seen a need yet. I carry the trophyline Platow pack. It holds sticks and platform plus there’s room for the essentials. If you plan to really trek they have the palisade or Sumter packs. If you want I can grab some pictures of my setup later. Such as how I get sticks up, platform, etc. it takes me maybe 15 minutes to fully setup and it’s much quieter and stable than a climber. I can also get you a discount code for trophy line for 15% off.
Post your setup! We would love to see it!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Buy a climber
Where’s that dislike button? No way !

@AllTerrainAngler , I too like redundancy! I actually run my secondary bridge through the prussik, below a ropeman 1 or one of those triangular things. I actually like the triangular shaped ascender better than the ropeman…..it’s smoother when adjusting it and bites just as fast with no sharp edges.

I found myself not a minimalist but prefer comfort. I added two steps to my platform strap, so I have one on each side. It’s the cats meow!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Here’s a few photos of my setup…the steps really allow me to change positions. I fidget alot and move too much, but I can get pretty much all the way around the tree.

F79BC51A-0A9D-4613-884F-F43B28261704.jpeg21BB0B4F-80F5-4873-A1A5-A3CD8E6078A5.jpeg