Accurate 22 LR

Deerhead

Guess I am suffering from post season blues. Thinking about a 22lr to plink with. Do not want to break the bank and not want a cheap 22. I want one that is accurate! One inch or less groups at 50 yds. Is that possible for a 10/22? What do you recommend? Do you have one that is accurate… Thanks for your advise.

Gator89

Well, Rossi makes some 22lr rifles that will surprise you for a low cost rifle.

Winchester Wildcats are cool and use 10 22 mags.

The Rossi and Winchester are available threaded, so you ready if you decide to get a muffler.

But a CZ 457 would be a good heirloom to have and pass down.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
If you decide to get a 10/22 there is a shop in CT called Connecticut Precision Chamber that will rework that little rascal. Lower the trigger to a 2.5lb or so pull, reface the bolt for correct clearance, recrown the barrel, and a couple of other fine tuning procedures. It will be a sub-MOA rifle after that. You can ship directly to them, and they will ship it back to you. I believe the cost is a bit under $200, but it is well worth it.

transfixer

Guess I am suffering from post season blues. Thinking about a 22lr to plink with. Do not want to break the bank and not want a cheap 22. I want one that is accurate! One inch or less groups at 50 yds. Is that possible for a 10/22? What do you recommend? Do you have one that is accurate… Thanks for your advise.

Find you a used Marlin bolt action (older models preferably) or Marlin mdl 60 or similar , can't beat their accuracy for the money, I don't care for all the newer synthetic stocked versions, If you can find an older Marlin mdl 81 bolt action for a couple hundred grab it ! you won't be disappointed

Deerhead

Well, Rossi makes some 22lr rifles that will surprise you for a low cost rifle.

Winchester Wildcats are cool and use 10 22 mags.

The Rossi and Winchester are available threaded, so you ready if you decide to get a muffler.

But a CZ 457 would be a good heirloom to have and pass down.

I will check out the Winchester. I have looked at the CZ 457 They are nice!

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
a used 452 LUX and the 457 both are a super nice gun, but will run you more thant the 10/22 and having it reworked at CPC

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Savage MK2 FV/SR

Screenshot_20240117-181414.png

It'll do an inch at 50 all day with CCI Standards. In fact, it'll do it at 100 if you catch a still day...

My grand boys have graduated to shooting 20 gauge hulls at 100 with alarming regularity...

A VERY good shooting rifle for less than 300 bucks.

Liberty

Look at a Savage A22 for close to 10/22 money. Mine does nickel sized groups at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity.

Lilly001

.22 lr accuracy is determined by much more than just the gun.
The ammo can elevate or doom your groups.
Almost all of the popular choices have a plethora of accessories that can elevate an average gun to a one holer.
The 10-22 is classic for this. You can rebuild the entire gun with aftermarket parts.
I have an older Remington bolt gun, 541s, and it great. But my re barreled 10-22 is almost as accurate.

bullgator

Price range? Bolt auto, lever, etc.?

trial&error

My plinking requirements aren't usually competition shooting requirements. a 10-22 should be better than 1 inch at 50. Mine is, but i don't shoot paper often with it. Usually just cans or old steel plates, you know plinking.

menhadenman

.22 lr accuracy is determined by much more than just the gun.
The ammo can elevate or doom your groups.
Almost all of the popular choices have a plethora of accessories that can elevate an average gun to a one holer.
The 10-22 is classic for this. You can rebuild the entire gun with aftermarket parts.
I have an older Remington bolt gun, 541s, and it great. But my re barreled 10-22 is almost as accurate.

This has been my experience… here’s an example of a 10/22 with a suppressor on it for shooting squirrels. Ten shot groups at 30 yards maybe 3-4 weeks ago.

The top group is Federal auto match (that generally does ok for bulk ammo); middle group is CCI subsonic and the bottom group - one ragged hole - is the Anguilla subsonic.

The kicker is that ammo doesn’t cycle reliably in an auto :cry:.

I have maybe a dozen 22s and my experience has been that the ammo makes a much bigger difference than almost anything else. I’ve also found that the hyper velocity stuff like CCI Stingers sure are fun, but not nearly as accurate as subsonics that tend to have less variation in group size. I also hear from guys that shoot “long range” rimfire that subsonics obviously drop more but remain stable. Supersonic rounds lose stability once they drop below subsonic speeds.

My most accurate 22 is probably the Marlin 880 bolt my late father got me in the late 80s/early 90s. I’ve never put a scope on it and it’ll hang with the rifles that have one inside of my eyes’ capabilities. If I were to suggest one for accuracy it’d definitely be a bolt gun with a heavier and threaded barrel.

Good luck, lots of great options without dropping $1k on a rimfire.

09BF8F5F-DF21-4BFD-A9A1-B27E3F7FEDB8.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Dub

Gator89

$549.99

Action Type:
Bolt-Action
Hand Orientation: Right
Color: Gray with Black Spec
TS Dimensions Length: 36"
Caliber: .22 LR
Firearm Action: Bolt
Firearm Type: Rifle
Magazine Capacity: 5+1
Firearm Barrel Length: 18"
Trigger Type: Bergara Performance
Twist Rate: 1:16"
Series/Collection: BMR
Barrel Material: Steel
Barrel Finish: Matte Blue
Receiver Material: Steel

FEATURES​

You asked, we listened. The Bergara BMR (Bergara Micro Rimfire) is for those that demand the best and expect nothing short of perfection. With the option of either a 5 round magazine for hunting or a 10 round magazine for running stages at your favorite rimfire match, we designed the BMR from the ground up with field and match performance in mind. The BMR fits the bill of the base class within the NRL22 series and offers a match chamber with world-class accuracy. It's also lighter (especially the carbon barreled version) and easier to carry in the field for small game pursuits.

killerv

Curious how many shots you consider a group with a 22. I consider 10 shots.

I put a kidd barrel on a 10/22 and could get less than 1in groups at 100 with eley tenex. But that's not exactly plinkin, that is expensive ammo.

Put a cheaper green mountain on another and it was also lights out.

I'm reading good things about the straight factory ruger lvt 10/22s with no mods other than a little better trigger like a bx.

You can send a factory 10/22 off to be reworked for about 200-250 and get back a very accurate rifle.

As far as bolts, I really like my Tikka T1x, I'd buy another tomorrow.

Last edited:

killerv

I don't know if the winchester is what you are looking for, we have one, fun to plink with, but I wouldn't expect much more out of that from it. And horrible trigger.

They actually are making it in a bolt action now.

I nice woodstocked ruger american 22 would be worth a look at, think they have a walnut version.

The czs are nice. I've owned 3, still have an old 452fs. But I had other rifles that shot better so let a couple go.