Gonna lower draw weight with new bow...question

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
The older I get the less I enjoy pulling 70lbs although still plenty manageable even when sitting on stand for 12 hours while fully clothed (except shoes :biggrin3:) at zero degrees and a 30mph wind, I think I want something lighter this go around.

So my situation and question is this...

I've shot 1 pin for almost 30 years and currently my longest comfy shot is 35 yards. My current pin is set at around 25 yards and I hold on spot from very close out to 35. I am couple inches high at very close and maybe an inch or 2 low at 35. My arrows are about 375-400 grains. and I draw at 28.5" at 70lbs.

If I drop to 50 or 55lbs or maybe 60 on the new bow, how bad do you think this is gonna screw up my one pin shooting scenario????

How many of you have actually made this kinda change in draw weight? I know the weight will kill deer just fine, but I sure love the fact that I've only had 2 non passes (that I remember) in about 10 years of shooting these giants up here.

kevincox

Guess it depends on if you reduce the weight of your arrows as well and what bow you end up using for 2016. No matter what you shoot though 0-30 isnt going to be any problem at all. 35-40 might get a little interesting if you dont hold a little high. I know your mid west beast dont typically drop at the shot much��

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Guess it depends on if you reduce the weight of your arrows as well and what bow you end up using for 2016. No matter what you shoot though 0-30 isnt going to be any problem at all. 35-40 might get a little interesting if you dont hold a little high. I know your mid west beast dont typically drop at the shot much��

lol Kevin, they drop plenty, but they have so much more chest mass that you dont notice the drop
::ke:::ke:::ke:

rjcruiser

Get a slider. Set it at 30 and you're good. Have a spot to move it up or down if you need to. I personally love my slider. Have never really had a scenario where I didn't have time to move it.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Get a slider. Set it at 30 and you're good. Have a spot to move it up or down if you need to. I personally love my slider. Have never really had a scenario where I didn't have time to move it.

Got one now, but haven't ever moved it. I guess if I stay at 35 and under I've never needed to

rjcruiser

Got one now, but haven't ever moved it. I guess if I stay at 35 and under I've never needed to

Gotcha. Well...in that case, I'd get comfy with moving. Because if you keep the arrow weight the same and drop 10-20 pounds of draw weight, I think your arrow flight is going to drop too much.

But really, only you can decide that. I tried a single pin...but could never get comfy on those 40+ yard shots. So, I went with the slider. Now, I can hit the target out to 70....not saying I'd do that to a deer, but I can hit the pie plate at 70. With a single pin...no slider...no way I'd ever come close to that.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Gotcha. Well...in that case, I'd get comfy with moving. Because if you keep the arrow weight the same and drop 10-20 pounds of draw weight, I think your arrow flight is going to drop too much.

But really, only you can decide that. I tried a single pin...but could never get comfy on those 40+ yard shots. So, I went with the slider. Now, I can hit the target out to 70....not saying I'd do that to a deer, but I can hit the pie plate at 70. With a single pin...no slider...no way I'd ever come close to that.

That I can understand and agree with.

Lol I've never purposely spot my bow over 35 yards, so I'm sure I'll be ok altho I'll change arrow weight if I do drop lbs in draw weight

I too have a slider I'm shooting a bow tech destroyer 350 at 295 fps with 55lbs I'm 30 inc draw. If you get a faster bow say like 350 you won't have any issues with your sight deal . You need to get one them obsessions and be done with It there plenty fast too

satchmo

JT, after my surgery I had to work up to shooting my 60 pound bow lowered @ 54 pounds with a 29 1/4 inch arrow weighing in at 366 grains. I use my optimizer HHA and leave it set at 25 yards and believe it to be the perfect whitetail set up I've ever had. I am still well within my comfort out to 40 yards without moving my pin. If I ever decided to shoot one past that then I would have plenty of time to spin the wheel. Very pleasant to shoot. 25 years ago you'd have to shoot 77 pounds to get the same results I am at 54 pounds now.

South Man

Jim, I am comfy at 60lbs and really haven't noticed a huge difference in shooting but it makes pulling that bow back much easier. I am glad I dropped down to 60lb'ers.

Huntinfool

I dropped down to about 57 pounds this year using a "slow" Elite. My experience was just that I injured my shoulder so bad I couldn't draw a 70# bow anymore.

I think the fear of arrow drop is over-exaggerated. I have my top pin set to be dead on at 20 yards. But I have tested that very same pin shooting 30 and I notice very little drop. (it hits less than an inch low).

It's been well documented that increasing the arrow weight even by well over a hundred grains really doesn't cause a drop that is so significant as to cause a miss.

I'd say go get a lower weight bow and enjoy the easier pull. I really don't think you'll notice much difference in terms of ability to aim with a single pin. You may have to hold a tad high at 35. But really that's just a function of repetition and practice. Once you get used to it, you won't even realize you're doing it.

Kris87

Since you're a Hoyt fan, look into a Turbo model with a legit 350fps rating and shoot it on 60#. It will pull like butter and still be smoking fast. Probably about the same speed as your Spyder on 70#. My Turbo on 65# is easier to pull than my Carbon Spyder Z5 cam on 70#. It's faster too.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Since you're a Hoyt fan, look into a Turbo model with a legit 350fps rating and shoot it on 60#. It will pull like butter and still be smoking fast. Probably about the same speed as your Spyder on 70#. My Turbo on 65# is easier to pull than my Carbon Spyder Z5 cam on 70#. It's faster too.

I thought about the Turbo, but am a lil concerned about it not being forgiving enough for my sloppy form and consistency.

Whatcha think? :pop:

Kris87

Hogwash...I love the new Turbo cam. It's easy to draw and the valley isn't that short IMO. I'd say the valley is close to what you're currently shooting. I shoot my Turbo better than any Hoyt I've owned. And at 60#, I bet it's a dream.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Hogwash...I love the new Turbo cam. It's easy to draw and the valley isn't that short IMO. I'd say the valley is close to what you're currently shooting. I shoot my Turbo better than any Hoyt I've owned. And at 60#, I bet it's a dream.

Thanks . I will find somewhere out here in the boonies to shoot it. Really wish I could find an Obsession dealer with a Defcon too

fountain

this is exactly what I did this year and couldn't be happier. ive shot it for 3d, indoor spots and hunting, and its been great at all of them
I wanted a longer ata bow and speed. went with a nitrum turbo at 65#. it is smooth on the draw and has a nice wall. its not going to feel like an elite back wall, but its good and holds well.

I shot my elite 32 Saturday a little and then grabbed my nitrum and the nitrum was smoother on the draw. the 60# cam would only be smoother. mine is 65# and shoots 396 gr gold tip hunter pro arrows 300 fps at 28.5" draw. my bow has also always been on the slow side for some reason, but I love it!

rutnbuk

Everyone has to find what feels best to them as far as Brand goes. Last year I switched to a 50lb Elite Energy 35. BEST move I ever made. Shoulder issues-GONE. Draws like butter. Archery is FUN again. I shoot in the 260's and have easily passed through 2 of the largest Bucks I have ever taken. I use 2 pins 20.30 but could get by with one. Technology has improved- go with the 50lber- you will love shooting! Good luck. Sell that 70lber to a college kid somewhere- lol!

Alan in GA

Smart move to lower poundage....

I decided to stop buying 70# rated bows several years ago. I read too meny posts about shoulder injuries and how they happened, and decided I would go to 60# max rated bows.
However this past year is the first in many that I did not shoot all summer to keep myself 'in shape' with my bow and it shows!
I feel aches pulling my 61# PSE X Force when not 'warmed up'!
I have a backup Ross 331 that is also a 60# max rated bow and I think I may set it down to 50-55# and slowly build muscle tone back with it.
Also it would be nice to have a 50-55lb now for someone that wants to 'try' a compound bow for the first time.
I'm 64 and it's starting to show!
Be smart and lower your poundage. At the very least have a backup bow set for 5 or 10 pounds lower than your main hunting bow to be able to HELP warm up your bow shooting muscles, and maybe have more fun practicing in the yard or basement.
I have 3 HHA slider single pin sites. I've started keeping the one pin set at 25 and leaving it - I just don't shoot at anything past 35 yards. If I shot more I would probably adjust it for longer shots..... But I don't. I LIKE single pin slider sites!!!
Just my opinion!

Last edited:

davidhelmly

I know what you mean Jim, I've always shot 70-72# and a really heavy arrow and like you I use a slider but it never moves off of 25 unless I'm practicing at longer ranges. After my 2 fairly long stints in the hospital and surgeries I wasn't sure I was going to be able to hunt this year but was finally able to draw around 55#, by season opener I was up to 60 and my heavy arrows weren't going to work for my 1 pin setup so I went with arrows that are roughly 100 grains lighter than my old ones and my sight tape is almost identical to last year. If you don't mind shooting a slightly lighter arrow you shouldn't have any problem.