Good shooting rest?

Buckbuster

I would like to get a decent gun rest for when I go to the range. I looked at a Caldwell stinger at academy that had a lot of good reviews. Has anyone used it or something else? I have always used sand bags or a bull bag that I have had for years. I know there are several here that do a lot of shooting.

lonewolf247

I have a Caldwell Lead Sled Plus. I really do like it, and I think it's one of the sturdiest rest out there. I've had it for several years, with no issues.

However, recently my son and I bought a couple AR-15's. This rest does not work well with AR-15's, due to the magazines, hitting the frame. Something to keep in mind, depending on the type of rifles, you plan to shoot.

I plan to buy another rifle rest just to shoot AR-15's, in the future. I'll probably continue to shoot from my lead sled, with my bolt actions, and other semi-auto rifles, that don't have mags that extend below the firearm.

The rest you've listed looks to be a little more versatile, to accommodate a variety of firearms.

Gator89

I have a Caldwell Lead Sled Plus. I really do like it, and I think it's one of the sturdiest rest out there. I've had it for several years, with no issues.

However, recently my son and I bought a couple AR-15's. This rest does not work well with AR-15's, due to the magazines, hitting the frame. Something to keep in mind, depending on the type of rifles, you plan to shoot.

I plan to buy another rifle rest just to shoot AR-15's, in the future. I'll probably continue to shoot from my lead sled, with my bolt actions, and other semi-auto rifles, that don't have mags that extend below the firearm.

The rest you've listed looks to be a little more versatile, to accommodate a variety of firearms.

20 round or smaller AR magazines work well in sled type rests.

For hunting I prefer 5 or 10 round mags for easy totin'. Plus FL restricts center fire semi -autos to 5 round mag capacity for deer hunting and any hunting on public land, so there is that. Hunting non-game species (feral swine) on private land is pretty much anything goes but I have yet to see hogs hang around long enough to allow 30 shots.

But certainly nothing wrong with having a bipod either.

Last edited:

menhadenman

Here’s a 100 yd group from a 69 gr BTHP handload shot from an 18” White Oak Armament 1/7 barrel that I put onto a run of the mill Palmetto State 223 Wylde AR15 build kit. I use the cheap Harris knock offs you can buy on amazon for about $25.

I like the bipod with a rear bag because it’s much more natural than a sled (or even a big front bag), cheap, easy to transport, and adjustable for different rifles. Took me years before I got one, only regret I never did earlier. Try one out and good luck!

CVLIFE Rifle Bipod, 6-9 Inch Adjustable Super Duty Tactical Bipod https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZGG1YX7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_CM50YC9JB04K5QQGBRT3?psc=1
6292950C-8439-4142-B9F6-F5FA9C9B2175.jpeg

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Here’s a 100 yd group from a 69 gr BTHP handload shot from an 18” White Oak Armament 1/7 barrel that I put onto a run of the mill Palmetto State 223 Wylde AR15 build kit. I use the cheap Harris knock offs you can buy on amazon for about $25.

I like the bipod with a rear bag because it’s much more natural than a sled (or even a big front bag), cheap, easy to transport, and adjustable for different rifles. Took me years before I got one, only regret I never did earlier. Try one out and good luck!

CVLIFE Rifle Bipod, 6-9 Inch Adjustable Super Duty Tactical Bipod https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZGG1YX7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_CM50YC9JB04K5QQGBRT3?psc=1
View attachment 1132075

This. Right. Here.

Lead sleds and other elaborate rests do absolutely nothing to contribute to good shooting.

If they did, you'd see professional snipers carrying them. You DO see EVERY pro carrying a bipod and squeeze bag.

Also, let's say you have your rifle dialed in perfectly after clamping it into a contraption, and pressing the trigger.

Things will be different, when the rifle free recoils in your summit viper. Might not be enough to matter, but then again....

So in the interest of staying on topic, the best lead sled shooting rest apparatus is NONE.

Your money is better spent on practice ammo.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yes 5 and 10 round mags make it easier for sled believers an Amend 2 10 rd is about $11

even when I use a rest (old Sinclair All Purpose) I still use a rear bag that is squeezable
many of the target I post here are with this front rest or a bipod

Gator89

I have a Stoney Point adjustable shooting rest I use for sighting in my rifles, have even used it to pattern shotguns. I still have to breathe and squeeze the trigger, but my "sled" is far from useless.

In a properly set up shooting house, looking down a long shooting lane, power line, etc. I could see a sled working good. Toting the sled around is its major impediment.

I mostly use a 3 leg trigger stick when hunting due to portability.

Geezer Ray

I have a leadsled I like but prefer a bag for more real world shooting. I have never carried the leadsled to the stand before. Also real hard to spot and stalk with that heavy leadsled.

tell sackett

M
All I am wanting is a good rest for sighting in at the range, I have a new scope that I am putting on a rem 700 that I use for hunting. Just want to keep the number of rounds to a minimum due to being hard to find.
Might be worth your while to get somebody to bore sight it for you first.

Jester896

Senior Clown
All I am wanting is a good rest for sighting in at the range, I have a new scope that I am putting on a rem 700 that I use for hunting. Just want to keep the number of rounds to a minimum due to being hard to find.
what you have will work for that if you have 2 people...we do it like that sometimes.

lonewolf247

First you have to decide whether you want a rifle rest or not. Some love them, and some hate them. I do like mine, because I just grab one rest, my targets, guns, and ammo, and go to the range. I can shoot steady, from the rest that I have, it's solid.

Seems like we went over this in another thread lately. I really don't think I'd recommend it for a brand new shooter. A lead sled will not teach one how to shoot, with the right mechanics, you have to develop that elsewhere, like sand bags, or bipod combination, and such.

What it will do though, is take up to 75% or more of the recoil, out of the equation. An experienced shooter can benefit from this when sighting in heavy calibers, or other lightweight rifles, that have a lot of felt recoil. You could shoot an entire box of ammo, and never feel it.

So anyhow, it's a preference thing.

Jester896

Senior Clown
So anyhow, it's a preference thing.

most definitely it is...not knocking anyone that wants to use one....they can damage equipment if your not careful.

I find it very easy to properly load a bipod and get the same results...I know it isn't easy for everyone...however after 60-70 rounds I may be a little sore...probably more sore now since it has been a minute. :D

trial&error

Perhaps a 5-10 rd magazine will avoid the extra expense. the 5 rd fits flush with the magwell. Also handy if hunting in florida or I'm sure other states have similar rules limiting mag capacity. I hunt with them just because it's easier and i carry less weight.