Good shooting rest?

Dub

Finally getting around to breaking this thing out and getting it in use.

Assembly question for @Jester896 , @menhadenman , @Gator89 and anyone else who has one of these Caldwell Rock BR units........Where does piece #6 go ?

Does this look correct ?

EDIT: there was already one in the channel…..looks like this is a spare.

The critters sure do make things better don't they? Don't know how I would have made it without mine.

Rosewood

Yes sir, indeed. The little one that's in the pics earlier in the thread is no longer living. Diabetes, blindness, all happened so fast.

Great little buddy to the whole family.

Just me and the older dog now.

As soon as I retire and have the time to dedicate to it there will be puppies inbound. (y)

Last edited:

furtaker

I guess you can tell how serious of a shooter someone is by asking them what kind of rifle rest they use.

My old boss used to deer hunt a good bit and we were talking about rifles and shooting one day and I asked him what kind of rest he used to zero his rifle...

His response? "Tree limb." :rofl:facepalm:

Jester896

Senior Clown
@Dub ...there was an extra one in the bag with the Allen Wrench...
looks like mine is GON now...had it just the other day

i put a little Shooter's Choice grease on those roller balls and the L/R threads

killerv

I guess you can tell how serious of a shooter someone is by asking them what kind of rifle rest they use.

My old boss used to deer hunt a good bit and we were talking about rifles and shooting one day and I asked him what kind of rest he used to zero his rifle...

His response? "Tree limb." :rofl:facepalm:

My dad used a jacket on the hood of the truck, and a styrofoam lunch container for a target.

Darkhorse

I don't guess I'd be considered a serious shooter. But still, this stays in line with my desire to use what's laying around the house and get good results from it.
The group in my Avatar was shot with it.
1661667228186.jpeg1661667228186.jpeg

ssramage

Lead sled here. Not sure where folks think it's getting "strapped down inside a contraption" but it has just as much support as the guys using bags. Zero difference in POI on or off the sled.

In a pinch I've used my kids BOG tripod.

Dub

Lead sled here. Not sure where folks think it's getting "strapped down inside a contraption" but it has just as much support as the guys using bags. Zero difference in POI on or off the sled.

In a pinch I've used my kids BOG tripod.

My only beef with my sled is that....if I loaded it with weights then it restricts the rifle from recoiling. All that force is unnaturally stopped abruptly vs absorbed by a rest & shoulder.

Others may find it to be fine. It just concerned me that I was thrashing my optics unduly using the weighted sled. I used it mainly unweighted and now it's in the garage and used for a handy rest for gun cleaning.

Rest & rear bags is more versatile.....for me, at least. Can use handgun, AR, M1A, etc.

The Caldwell rest that Jester alerted us to looks like it'll be super for what I'm wanting...an easy-to-adjust precise rest. I stress the "easy" part.

It's great to have options and we are able to find what fits our individual needs.

Jester896

Senior Clown
The Caldwell rest that Jester alerted us to looks like it'll be super for what I'm wanting...an easy-to-adjust precise rest. I stress the "easy" part.

I just said I played with one.. @Stroker said he had one and liked it...so I ordered one. ;) He was right...it will do everything I need it to do except Benchrest. Even though it has BR in it's name it could be better for that. Still one fine rest. I think I will try a Shadetree Engineering top for it w/joy stick. Then I can swap out the head for the different purposes.

rosewood

I like the Lead Sled for developing shotgun/turkey loads and heavy recoiling rifle loads. I do not like it on other rifles. I can't hold it as steady on a lead sled as I can on sand bags and now I use the Caldwell rock deluxe on the front with the bag on top. It seems the sled has too much movement.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
I ordered a Shadetree Engineering Joy Stick head for my Caldwell this morning. Hopefully this will make it even better. I will be able to swap heads for different shooting.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Shadetree Engineering joystick rest top came today.

IMG_1165.jpg

minimal mods (part #6)...contacted Calwell to see if I could get another wheel so I don't have to take it apart to swap it out