Got a question about loads?

chicken cow

Banned
I'm leaving thursday for Iowa and will be hunting w/ the ML. Try not to laugh but I still hunt w/ my T/c Firehawk...one of the first inlines T/c made, I have shoot many bullets over the years and have found the T/C shockwave shoot the best and shoot 2" groups at 100 yrds. I can only shoot 100 grains of pyrodex in it...or at least what its rated for...never tested it...:huh:..so I was wondering is it really worth it spending more to shoot that 50 extra grains?...what kinda range am I looking at w/ 100 grns...never shot it more than 100 yrds. I have read every where that people are most accurate w/ 90-110 grns....any help?

tv_racin_fan

All you do with extra powder is stretch the range a bit. Probably best accuracy and plenty of juice out to and beyond a 100 yards without that extra powder.

Sloppy_Snood

IMO, 150 grains is usually served best for those "not in the know." :hair: It simply is not needed (for North Americn game species). One might consider it for rhinoceros or elephant in Africa though....

The velocity gain relative to the increase in recoil pulse is simply not worth it in 99+% of ML shooting.

Dump the pellets and use loose powder through a measure. You group consistency will be much better than the inconsistent weight of "pellets."

I am launching 498-grain cast pure lead conicals from a 22-inch barrel (1:24 twist) at 1200-1275 fps with 75 grains of loose Swiss ffg ("2F") real black powder. Recoil is low and the big conical allows for plenty of kinetic energy.

chicken cow

Banned
thanks, I will go to the loose powder, I used to use it before the pellets but went to pellets cuz it was easy...but I wanna make that 1 shot count

Sloppy_Snood

thanks, I will go to the loose powder, I used to use it before the pellets but went to pellets cuz it was easy...but I wanna make that 1 shot count

Good luck with your fine tuning chicken cow. :cheers: