got my first smoker, get me started

Luke0927

nothing fancy but it had great reviews on Bass pro its the smoky mountain propane smoker. I'm sure the more I use it the better it will get but I figured I should probably "season" it or somehting before throwing some food in it.....should i just take some dried oak and make some chips and just smoke it for a several hours before using it.

I'd like to start cooking on it in the next day or two. any good articles or sites where I can get a good Idea on what temps to use for certain meats, how many hours per pound, tips etc.....I'll probably do some ribs and a pork shoulder first but my favorite is brisket so got do one of those for the weekend

Thanks!

Last edited:

blues brother

I have no experience with you cooker, so use my advice with caution. I have two stumps smokers that I bought new. I seasoned both after washing out with the garden hose.
I lit the smoker to dry it. then sprayed the inside with cooking spray. I let it smoke for several hours then put in some chicken leg qtrs(cheap and alot of fat).
Best of luck and good smoking!

Luke0927

thanks about what i was thinking. Hopefully I'll like it...I'm building a house now and as soon as she's done I'll have a green egg but wanted this for now....then have the option to do gas or wood.

rick1475

the best website i've found is [smoking-meat.com]
as for seasoning in all my smokers i just fired them up
getum good and hot then spray them with cooking spray
let it cool down. then you are ready to smoke.