Gotta love a HUGE dog! (long)

turtlebug

My neighbors are awesome. Their son in law plays in the NBA and I swear collects dogs. He names them after boxers and has had all of them professionally trained in basic guard duties. Not a mean bone in their bodies unless they're provoked. He's given them two dogs. One female Shep name Ali (this is the one I posted that was shot a while back) and Lenox, a Mastiff.

Fishbait is at his mom's about 30 miles away, fixing/repairing something his dad messed up :bounce: and the kids are at Thursday night dinner with my parents. I was sitting in the living room enjoying some peace and quiet, a simple ham sammich and Say Yes to the Dress reruns. I noticed our dog Reese barking up a storm but not her "Look a squirrel" bark. She sounded mean and ticked off. I looked outside and she was running around trying her best to get to something. :confused: I heard a really loud truck running and got up to investigate. There was a burgandy Dodge parked in the ditch between our house and the neighbors. I watched a guy hastily retreat from the house across the street and go into the backyard of another neighbor who has four antique trucks that he's "restoring" one day. :bounce:

This guy never knocked on a door or anything. Was screaming "HEY" and stumbling around trying to open the doors on Ernie's trucks. I kind of froze wondering if I should get the pistol or what. I finally hollered over all the barking and asked if I could help him. He literally stumbled into my yard and I could smell some seriously strong and cheap liquor from 5 feet away. He started asking questions about Ernie's trucks and how he wanted to buy one and how much cash he had in his pocket, all the while giving references of a neighbor who passed away over two years ago. :mad: He was red headed, probably about 25 and drunker than Muddyfoots on Red Debil. ;) He kept getting closer and closer and everything turned to "baby" and "sweetheart" and just got uncomfortable. I was about to start shaking but found my authoritative voice and told him Ernie isn't selling those trucks and you need to move on along. He started asking what shift he worked and when Ernie was home and such. I told him you never knew when Ernie would pop in but Ernie had been known to shoot first (no lie, he shot at a peeping tom a few years ago) and ask who's knocking later.

I finally asked the guy, if I needed to go inside and get something that would make him leave or did I need to call the Sheriff and have him removed? He got sarcastic and started inching closer "Aw honey now, no need for all that, I'm just a country boy with a pocket full of money looking for something" :confused: I thought he wanted a truck? :mad: I got more and more nervous and figured since usual arrival time for a Deputy out here is between 10 to 15 minutes, I'd be better off to try to get to a rifle or a pistol and run him off myself.

Something caugh my eye and here comes my neighbor's 180 pound Mastiff trotting across the street. I ignored the idiot for a second and patted my leg and hollered "Com'ere Lenox" and he broke into a full run and parked his behind right by my side and looked up at the guy. The guy's eyes got big as saucers and he started backing up and never took his eyes off of Lenox. He walked backwards all the way out of my yard and into the truck he came up in. Then I noticed Ali standing on the other side of the truck, not allowing the driver to get out. He hopped in the passenger side and whomever was driving took off.

I hugged Lenox like he had just saved the world. Lenox NEVER leaves their yard. The neighbors aren't home so I don't know how or why the gate was open because I could barely shut it when I took Lenox and Ali back into their yard. I really think the guy went to their house first and unhooked the gate, took one look at Lenox and Ali and left without shutting it. I ran inside and grabbed a whole bag of doggie bacon strips and fed Lenox treats and petted and loved on him. That dog deserves a crown right now as far as I'm concered. Lenox is OLD and wouldn't hurt a flea but his size is intimidating to say the least.

I've never felt threatened in my own yard or scared in my own home until this evening. I had to sit down for a minute and almost cried. I don't know why but I was was honestly scared. I couldn't get around the guy to even let my own dog out and let her give him what for. If I'd been able to do that, he'd have been calling an ambulance for himself. I've got the tag number in case they come back and I'm gonna give it to the neighbors to be on the lookout for him.

I did take a couple of pictures of Lenox when I was playing with him and trying to get him and Ali back in their yard. Lenox rewarded me with a huge kiss which I think just ruined a brand new pair of scrubs. :bounce: I don't care though.

I promise you after this, at the very least, my rifle will reside in the laundry room next to the kitchen door. :smash: :shoot: This is not a good time to be too welcoming to strangers acting suspicious. :mad:

Please excuse me now. Adrenaline rush is over and I feel like I'm gonna fall to pieces. :(

Attachments

• lenox2.jpg
    lenox2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 560
  • lenox1.jpg
    lenox1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 560
  • lenox3.jpg
    lenox3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 561

Sweetwater

Great story...thanks for sharing.

Crickett

Little Lady
Glad you're ok! I think those dogs knew that guy was up to no good.

I live in a pretty strange neighborhood & we got us a big 'ol yellow lab a couple of years ago. He's about 105lbs & pretty much a big baby except when someone comes to the door. His bark is so loud & intimidating. When my hubby goes out of town on huntin' trips I always feel safe now.

slip

Retired Moderator
this is odd TBug, Jmfauver and i were talking a few hours ago about how our dogs have saved our butts a few times. big dogs too.

im glad the story ends for the better, and didnt go how it could have gone. keep your eyes peeled and carry something that barks louder then that dog.

turtlebug

Glad you're ok! I think those dogs knew that guy was up to no good.

I live in a pretty strange neighborhood & we got us a big 'ol yellow lab a couple of years ago. He's about 105lbs & pretty much a big baby except when someone comes to the door. His bark is so loud & intimidating. When my hubby goes out of town on huntin' trips I always feel safe now.

Pretty sure you're right cause usually the only thing that interests them is sprinkler heads. :bounce:

Ain't nuttin like a good dog! :smash:

I'm almost glad I couldn't get to my dog to turn her loose on him. I don't know that I could've gotten her off of him. She knew because I've only heard her bark like that once before and she did bite someone that day.

We get lots of strangers around here but I attribute that to having so many military folks in the neighborhood. :huh:

But there's always gonna be folks with bad intentions. :mad:

turtlebug

this is odd TBug, Jmfauver and i were talking a few hours ago about how our dogs have saved our butts a few times. big dogs too.

im glad the story ends for the better, and didnt go how it could have gone. keep your eyes peeled and carry something that barks louder then that dog.

I know. I read that and to be honest, my neighbor's dogs were the last bit of protection I would've counted on. They're always in the backyard behind a huge fence. :smash:

I still don't know where my neighbors are but I know they've got all the free dog sitting they need as long as they need it. :smash:

SnowHunter

Glad it all turned out ok Sista.. next time, cell phone with you, and call cops FIRST! before proceeding! :love:

Sweetwater

I know. I read that and to be honest, my neighbor's dogs were the last bit of protection I would've counted on. They're always in the backyard behind a huge fence. :smash:

I still don't know where my neighbors are but I know they've got all the free dog sitting they need as long as they need it. :smash:

The Good Lord was lookin out after you.
:cool:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
I am a firm believer in a dog as the first line of defense and a pistol as the 2nd. If I was you I wouldn't have been talking to that guy without a pistol in my back pocket. Glad it worked out.

turtlebug

Neighbors just got home, they were at Wild Adventures all afternoon. She confirmed with her hubby that the gate was shut when he left for work at 6. :smash:

She said she's seen that truck in the neighborhood at the house of the guy we suspect that shot her dog. She doesn't know the guys though but she's a stay at home grandma and said she'd keep an eye on things and let the neighbor with the trucks know when he got home in the morning.

Me and Fishbait gonna have a long talk about a firearms safety class for the kids and a new pistol for me. :smash:

HALOJmpr

Glad everything worked out OK!!! We have 4 dogs ... the 9lb poodle is the early warning system as he is the first to bark and has now taught all of our dogs to bark :) Our Bull Mastiff "Kahlua" is the deterrent and not many folks would want to test her at 115 lbs. She has become very home protective but is the sweetest dog in the world. 3rd is my 'ol pal Leaner. He leans in the closet by the door ... first round is #4 and the next 4 are 00 .... just hope you never have to meet him :)

K80

Glad it had a good ending. To bad lenox didn't take a hunk out of his leg.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I am a firm believer in a dog as the first line of defense and a pistol as the 2nd. If I was you I wouldn't have been talking to that guy without a pistol in my back pocket. Glad it worked out.

Yes sir!!!!

Glad he came to your rescue T-Bug:cool:

DeltaHalo

Exactly!!

DSGB

Can't beat a good dog!

Glad everything worked out OK!!! We have 4 dogs ... the 9lb poodle is the early warning system as he is the first to bark and has now taught all of our dogs to bark :) Our Bull Mastiff "Kahlua" is the deterrent and not many folks would want to test her at 115 lbs. She has become very home protective but is the sweetest dog in the world. 3rd is my 'ol pal Leaner. He leans in the closet by the door ... first round is #4 and the next 4 are 00 .... just hope you never have to meet him :)

That's about how it is at my house. Our beagle is the first to bark at something out of place, which alerts the German Shepherd. If that don't scare 'em off, the sound of a round being chambered in a 12 ga pump should.

Latest posts