Ground hunting

Rich M

I've been hunting on the ground more and more - it is amazing how hunting went from tree stands being illegal (at least where i come from) to almost everyone using tree stands. Hunter motion seems to be more visible in a tree as opposed to sitting on the ground.

Tree stands come in handy when you need to see over stuff, but if you just want to hunt, ground hunting is great.

I use a portable chair and a shooting stick. Last deer I shot while on the ground was while I was sitting in the center of a dirt road T - looking left and almost right. Deer came from left, spotted me and came closer to see what was up.

Disclaimer - I hunt off the ground, out of ladder stands, and use a lock on with sticks. One day I hope to have my own shooting house too.

j_seph

It really depends on where I am hunting and with what weapon. Toting a treestand in to some of the places on NF in the mountains is out of the question. If I am bow hunting I definitely prefer to be in a stand, but with a rifle not so much.
You just need a better exercise program then you can carry you a tree lounge through the NF:bounce:

oldfella1962

Having deer within feet, not yards, brings me the greatest satisfaction as a hunter. I would like to add that I always clear away a large area of leaves where I sit, I firmly believe the fresh smell of humus helps more than any spray or twenty dollar underwear.

I read that somewhere - deer are attracted to overturned/disturbed soil. It makes sense, it might give them access to different food or more food. I do know clearing out an area of brush & leaves where you hunt to make it soundproof brings bucks running. One time I fell over backwards into a blown down tree just about daybreak that I was going to hunt near. Snap...pop...crunch...thud for about a minute until I got situated. Way more noise than I needed to make and I'm sure every critter within 200 yards heard me. About a minute after I got situated a six pointer came ambling through (just out of range) like he didn't have a care in the world.

rosewood

Hunter motion seems to be more visible in a tree as opposed to sitting on the ground.

My experience has been just the opposite, I have been on ground and wiggled my toe and deer ran off. Usually up in a tree, as long as I don't do sudden motions, I move around a lot and deer never notice me.

Rosewood

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I do 95% of the time. I've killed 3 bucks and doe this year from the ground. I use a Millennium Tree Seat and it is very light and comfortable. I like to find a tree that breaks my silhouette. I don't get real carried away with front cover. I routinely have deer walk all around me and never know I'm there.

j_seph

I read that somewhere - deer are attracted to overturned/disturbed soil. It makes sense, it might give them access to different food or more food. I do know clearing out an area of brush & leaves where you hunt to make it soundproof brings bucks running. One time I fell over backwards into a blown down tree just about daybreak that I was going to hunt near. Snap...pop...crunch...thud for about a minute until I got situated. Way more noise than I needed to make and I'm sure every critter within 200 yards heard me. About a minute after I got situated a six pointer came ambling through (just out of range) like he didn't have a care in the world.
Last year Doodleflop and his woman were hunting at top of ridge. They cleared out the leaves around a tree on both sides of ridge. Then they cleared out a walking path from one tree to the other so they could go back and forth quietly and watch both sides:bounce:

beginnersluck

On the ground mostly for me...especially on the NF. Haven't used my climber in years. I usually hike in a good ways and don't like the extra weight. However, there are several places that I'd like to be off the ground to get a better view...kinda limits me otherwise. On private land, I have a couple of lock on stands, ladder stands, and permanent stands that I hunt out of bc they are in strategic places and nobody else hunts there.

When on the ground, I generally prop up against a big tree or clump of trees, or if there's a downed tree, I'll get amongst the limbs or the root ball. I don't brush myself in, just try to make it look like I'm a part of the tree/bush.

kingfish

Killed a small (Florida) 8 point last weekend on public land sitting on a dove stool and boat cushion. I was sitting in a gall berry patch looking down a pine row in planted pines. I actually got it cleared out to about 120 yards and the deer were funneling through right at 100 steps. I'm thinking about rigging an old Loc On stand with a cushion on the platform and a rope instead of a chain and using that as my seat. I walked into the woods right at daylight without using a light and got set up without a sound. Love hunting my old Amacker climber, but as I get older, am thinking about transitioning to OTG more and more. Great thread !!!

oldfella1962

I was doing some scouting a few years back & came across where somebody had an old bench seat from a pickup truck as their seat for their ground blind- it looked pretty comfy!

csu41826

Thanks for all the feedback. I’ve killed 3 from the ground over the last 2 years. One from a tree stump, the other two from a turkey lounger.

The main reason I use a chair is when I go some place I’m not 100% sure about tree selection, or if it’s a long walk.

I suppose my main problem is moving too much and too rapidly, so I’ll have to work on that. Thanks again, love his forum.

Andrew

Killer Kyle

Having deer within feet, not yards, brings me the greatest satisfaction as a hunter. I would like to add that I always clear away a large area of leaves where I sit, I firmly believe the fresh smell of humus helps more than any spray or twenty dollar underwear.

I do this too. Not just to make a quiet spot for my feet, but for the smell. I will the hummus on me as well as crushed pine needles especially when bowhunting the mtns in archery season when I sweat bucket fulls.

habs00

Millennium Tree Seat for me as well. It is extremely comfortable and light. Hunting from the ground feels more like hunting. However, I use both stands and ground...both are great ways to engage with deer.

Mrbowdeadly

I like both but find myself hunting on the ground more and more. I have had bucks jump over the same log I was sitting on but ten feet away. I have had another buck walk right up to me within yards before the jig was up.

On another note, nobody has mentioned archery shot angles. Steep angles are easier to miss, that flat double lung puts em down quick.

MBD

Killer Kyle

I like both but find myself hunting on the ground more and more. I have had bucks jump over the same log I was sitting on but ten feet away. I have had another buck walk right up to me within yards before the jig was up.

On another note, nobody has mentioned archery shot angles. Steep angles are easier to miss, that flat double lung puts em down quick.

MBD

That's right! My shots are almost always broadside at ground level. I never even practice elevated shots.