Halloween in the woods

jmsharp167

What are some of your best stories of eerie or spooky situations you have experienced while hunting? Walking to or from stand etc....

oldways

Not eerie or spooky I step in a covey of quail one morning going to the stand and they flushed one hit me in the nads and scared the heck out of me I screamed like a little girl limped back to the truck and went to the house I figured I was going to have to clean my drawers that was about the dangest thing that has ever happen to me in the woods thought I was going have a heart attack. Its funny now but wasn't then.

I had just bought my property and I decide to grab the rifle and stalk around a bit to see if I could see anything. The top of the knoll on my property was an old homesite. I knew this but it was also very obvious from all the old discarded trash along the slope I was traversing on the north side of the knoll. As the light was dimming and the sun was setting I caught a glimpse of something very disturbing out of the corner of my eye. THIS v v v v
Screenshot_20201023-071457.png
Scared the crap out of me!!! It was one of those life sized child dolls like they used to have back in the day. It is about 3' tall, very life like. Anyway, once my heart stopped pounding I carried on my way.

stubrew

Not eerie or spooky I step in a covey of quail one morning going to the stand and they flushed one hit me in the nads and scared the heck out of me I screamed like a little girl limped back to the truck and went to the house I figured I was going to have to clean my drawers that was about the dangest thing that has ever happen to me in the woods thought I was going have a heart attack. Its funny now but wasn't then.

This story tickled the heck out of me.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I've hunted around a few old abandoned cemeteries from the 1800's. Kind of spooky finding a acre or two of headstones and unmarked sunken graves in the middle of the woods with no roads leading to it. I never hunt in an old cemetery but only on the fringes of it not out of fear but out of respect for the dead. Guess I'm kind of old fashioned about some things.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Not a scary story but an actual Halloween story.

I was sitting in a stand on Halloween around 1991 in Upson County(just off Po Biddy Rd) and it started snowing.

Just flurries but it was pretty cool that early in the season.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I've hunted around a few old abandoned cemeteries from the 1800's. Kind of spooky finding a acre or two of headstones and unmarked sunken graves in the middle of the woods with no roads leading to it. I never hunt in an old cemetery but only on the fringes of it not out of fear but out of respect for the dead. Guess I'm kind of old fashioned about some things.

Same here, Brother. Something I`ve learned though. I`ve killed a good many turkeys hunting close to old cemeteries like that. Turkeys like to hang around them for some reason. I don`t believe in ghosts or haints but if I did, I`d wonder if wandering haints inhabit old gobblers?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never really had anything spooky happen to me in the woods that I can remember offhand. I did get a little freaked out once when I was a teenager coon hunting back in the mountains by myself in the middle of the night and I realized I was being stalked by something. It turned out to be a big, black goat. I have no idea where it came from, but it about got shot. It looked like Satan staring out from behind a laurel bush when I finally shined my light on it.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Mine actually happened last week. We have a new property owner next to our land in Carroll County. They are putting in a house about 200 yards off the road and along the property line that I walk down to get to the woods. As I walked in, I noticed an old 50's-60's model truck up in the woods through my binoculars. I've never seen it before and but it looked like it had been that forever. Didn't think much of it and went on to hunt. I'm coming back out and last light and I glance that way again and immediately see orange. I assume it is a hunter and stop and glass with my binoculars. I was not expecting what I saw. It was a full size skeleton in the sitting position and it was holding about a 25 lb pumpkin. As dark as it was, it was just shining almost. I'm telling you the hair on my arms stood up and I got the spookiest feeling ever. I can tell you I covered that last couple hundred yards in record speed!

I have no idea how I didn't see it walking in while looking at the truck. I can only assume the owners were setting up some kind of Halloween scene in the woods, but dang did it get my blood pumping for a bit!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Mine actually happened last week. We have a new property owner next to our land in Carroll County. They are putting in a house about 200 yards off the road and along the property line that I walk down to get to the woods. As I walked in, I noticed an old 50's-60's model truck up in the woods through my binoculars. I've never seen it before and but it looked like it had been that forever. Didn't think much of it and went on to hunt. I'm coming back out and last light and I glance that way again and immediately see orange. I assume it is a hunter and stop and glass with my binoculars. I was not expecting what I saw. It was a full size skeleton in the sitting position and it was holding about a 25 lb pumpkin. As dark as it was, it was just shining almost. I'm telling you the hair on my arms stood up and I got the spookiest feeling ever. I can tell you I covered that last couple hundred yards in record speed!

I have no idea how I didn't see it walking in while looking at the truck. I can only assume the owners were setting up some kind of Halloween scene in the woods, but dang did it get my blood pumping for a bit!

As cool, calm, and collected as you are, I would have loved to seen that! :rofl:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
As cool, calm, and collected as you are, I would have loved to seen that! :rofl:

LOL I'm telling you that was about as wired as you'll ever see me. I just have no idea how I missed it going in. It was like I had the perfect, clear line of sight coming out.

Reactions: DDD

DDD

Winter Weatherman
I was hunting in Wilkes County. I was 18 years old. Hung a stand in there a couple of weeks before this happened. There was an old saw mill that used to be on the property and I had to walk by the huge saw dust pile... that was a little creepy but not a big deal. As I started down the steep hardwood ridge, mag flashlight in hand, out of nowhere I get hit by something and I catch a glimpse of it in my flashlight. I could tell it was a large bird from the sound just as it hit me and the feathers that hit my face and knocked my hat off. SCARED ME TO DEATH. I fell down out of reaction and turned my flashlight off. I got the feeling it was some type of bird that had come for my light.

I felt of my head for blood. Nothing. So I walked about 50 yards and turned my flashlight back on. I looked up around in the trees and low and behold, there sat an owl about 20 feet off the ground. About the time I spotted him he took flight for me again. I jumped behind a tree and turned off my light. SWOOSH he shot by me. Now on a limb between me and my stand. I walked the rest of the way without a flashlight. There was just enough light to see 5 feet in front of me. No more attacks. LOL.

I had such an adrenaline rush though I was shaking about 10 minutes later. Thought the boogie man had gotten me.

Ruger15

When I was 15-16 I was walking back to the truck when all of a sudden I got that feeling that i was being followed and started hearing footsteps behind me.... I started to pick up the pace and the foot steps started gaining speed. Well i freaked out and started sprinting that last couple hundred yards outta that bottom and the footsteps seemed to be right on me. Got in the truck and slammed the door. Got back to camp and there were the footsteps behind me again.....turned out to be my scent drag behind me that i forgot about . Everybody at camp had a good laugh at my mercy. I was scared to death haha. Memories like that last a life time

jcofer

Pull up rope on climbing stand came loose walking out of the woods in the dark. Sounded like someone following me as the rope would turn over limbs and move leaves. Of coarse when I stopped - the noise stopped. REALLY SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME. I was shinning flash light all around ...LOL (rope was camo)

KevChap

Banned
I'm dying laughing.. I don't know what I'd do

jicard3

Many years ago, when I was just old enough to sit by myself Dad walked me in to the stand one evening and hung around while I climbed up, loaded my rifle and got settled. He said "good luck, see you about dark, do not get down until I get here" I said "yessir" and watched him walk out the logging road we came in on. In a few minutes I heard the truck crank and ease around the field edge until it was out of earshot as Dad headed to his stand. That was the normal routine. My hunt was uneventful that evening, I didn't know it but my Uncle Jay shot a deer and was having trouble finding it. He flagged Dad down on his way to pick me up and like any good brother would do, Dad got on the blood trail with him. There I sat, in the dark, no flashlight, doing what I was told, staying put until the Old Man came for me. In "little boy time" it had gone way past the time for Dad to come get me. He told me don't get down till he got there. I could just hear he and my uncle hollering back and forth with each other as they tracked but they were far enough away that it was just men shouting, I couldn't make out what they were saying. I couldn't even tell that it was Dad and Uncle Jay. A boy's mind starts getting to him. Dad forgot me. Something bad has happened and that's what the hollering is about. Maybe that's bad guys hollering and they got Dad. It was probably only 20 or 30 minutes after dark but it seemed like hours and I finally decided something wasn't right. I was going to have to get down and get myself out of there even though I had been told not to. I talked myself out of it and back into it several times then finally worked up enough gumption to make a move. I unloaded my rifle just like I had been taught and climbed down. I stood in the dark for a minute and figured out I could look up at the tree canopy and see the opening for the logging road against the night sky. It was slow going without a flashlight and I was nervous but I knew if I could get to the field I'd be good to go. I was probably half way out on that old logging road and a Bobcat let loose a scream off in the bottom to my left. I'm here to tell you, the second half of that logging road didn't take me near as long as the first half. I was running flat out, looking up at the tree canopy to stay on the road and plowed right into Dad as he was FINALLY coming in there to get me. I was scared to death, convinced those bad guys had got a woman too. They were cutting her up or something and she was screaming. For a second or two I didn't know it was Dad that I had crashed into. I was sure I had just run head first into my doom. I was going out at the hands of a bunch of bad guys in the woods. The first thing Dad says is "boy, you better not be running with that gun loaded". He heard the Bobcat too so I didn't have to explain what my problem was. Dad got me calmed down, he filled me in on what had happed with the deer tracking and explained to me that was a Bobcat not a woman screaming. Everybody but me got a good laugh out of it that night. I look back now and chuckle but I didn't think it was funny one bit at the time and I haven't been in a deer stand since with out some kind of flashlight.