Halloween in the woods

KevChap

Banned
I went hunting with a buddy when I was 17 to his families land in west Virginia.. at this point I've never been out of Ga so I was excited to go. We get there and hunt private property then he decides we will go to national forest land or whatever it was there. He tells me on the way there my uncle's all say this mountain is haunted and tells me some story i didn't really listen too.. we pull up he goes one way I go the other kinda looking for a spot not to far off the road so I don't get lost coming out.. well dark rolls around i start heading out and hear what sounds like chains dragging on gravel I thought it was him messing with me so I just kept walking normal speed to not look like a sissy it stops then starts again i finally pick up speed get back to the jeep and he's sitting there waiting on me?? i told him the story and still don't know what it was but it was creepy at dark in the middle of west Virginia

CaptKeith

I was calling coyotes with a rabbit squealer when an owl snatched my brown stocking cap off my head and carried it about 10 yards and dropped it.

Stephen2110

Not really creepy per se, but I got chased from my stand location to the 4wheeler by a pretty big wild hog. In my area, you don't see hogs at all. In fact, out of the 6 years of trail cams I have had 1 picture of a hog. Anyway, I was trying out the scent wicks and had hung one out in front in the field 50 yards from the stand. Got dark so I climbed down. I was walking towards the wick and could clearly hear SOMETHING keeping pace with me inside of the tree line to my right. So I get to the wick and take it down, getting pretty nervous because the walking/rustling stopped when I did. So, I turn and begin walking back, the sound starts again keeping pace with me. It sounded big, twigs snapping, leaves rustling, and wait... Huffing or breathing? This spooked me more than I will admit here.

So after stopping every few steps to check in the direction of the noise, I make it to my stand. To exit this spot, you have an old path to the right that is 10ft wide, thick woods on each side. That being the direction of this noise, I was seriously thinking I'd get drug off by bigfoot as soon as I walked thru. I don't know what caused what happened next and to this day I've been told I'm making it up. But here is the god honest truth. I was walking, very freaked out and on edge, when I hear crashing in my direction. I was 400 yards from my 4wheeler. I jog a bit and realize I don't hear anything anymore. I turn to shine my light and I'm met with a set of reflecting eyes bouncing up and down and CHARGING me! I now know what it was, but at the time, it scared me. Fight or flight kicked in and I chose flight, even though I had my rifle. I ran folks, like I have never ran before. Didn't look back again. I make it to the 4wheeler and hop on, turn the key, click on the lights and there it is 25 yards from me in the field. Big, gnarly looking hog, foam dripping from it's mouth, huffing like crazy. I drove home drenched in sweat and pale as a ghost.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not really creepy per se, but I got chased from my stand location to the 4wheeler by a pretty big wild hog. In my area, you don't see hogs at all. In fact, out of the 6 years of trail cams I have had 1 picture of a hog. Anyway, I was trying out the scent wicks and had hung one out in front in the field 50 yards from the stand. Got dark so I climbed down. I was walking towards the wick and could clearly hear SOMETHING keeping pace with me inside of the tree line to my right. So I get to the wick and take it down, getting pretty nervous because the walking/rustling stopped when I did. So, I turn and begin walking back, the sound starts again keeping pace with me. It sounded big, twigs snapping, leaves rustling, and wait... Huffing or breathing? This spooked me more than I will admit here.

So after stopping every few steps to check in the direction of the noise, I make it to my stand. To exit this spot, you have an old path to the right that is 10ft wide, thick woods on each side. That being the direction of this noise, I was seriously thinking I'd get drug off by bigfoot as soon as I walked thru. I don't know what caused what happened next and to this day I've been told I'm making it up. But here is the god honest truth. I was walking, very freaked out and on edge, when I hear crashing in my direction. I was 400 yards from my 4wheeler. I jog a bit and realize I don't hear anything anymore. I turn to shine my light and I'm met with a set of reflecting eyes bouncing up and down and CHARGING me! I now know what it was, but at the time, it scared me. Fight or flight kicked in and I chose flight, even though I had my rifle. I ran folks, like I have never ran before. Didn't look back again. I make it to the 4wheeler and hop on, turn the key, click on the lights and there it is 25 yards from me in the field. Big, gnarly looking hog, foam dripping from it's mouth, huffing like crazy. I drove home drenched in sweat and pale as a ghost.
I think I would have put a bullet in that sucker before I drove home.

Ohoopee Tusker

I was several miles into the, Shoshone National Forest when I came over a small ridge and was less than 10 yards from a grizzly bear. The bear never knew I was there so I backed out. But that could have gone a lot of different ways. Snapped a pic after I put some distance between us. It was a young bear.FB_IMG_1603575034658.jpg

Tadder

HAD A PIEBALD DEER come in on me as I was taking my stand off the tree in the dark. Thought it was a Haint for a min. got cold chills all over me and all the hair on myself was on end straight stiff.Then my heart bout stopped when it blew at me 10yds away. Bout messed my draws.:ROFLMAO::hair:

Reactions: DDD

Slingshot85

I was in my stand several years ago on opening morning of bow season. i was getting all of my things situated the way i wanted them and was holding my flash light in my mouth while i was putting my bow holder into the tree. in the middle of screwing the bow holder into the tree something hits me hard in the side of the head/face. Now its probably 45 minutes before any chance of it getting daylight. This thing hit me so hard it almost flipped me out of my climber. Thank god I was wearing a harness. Any ways im pretty freaked out at this point. Im looking on the ground for someone or something that threw a rock or something. All of a sudden i hear scratching coming from the backside of the tree. I ease around and shine my light to see a flying squirrel looking me in the eyes. it glided to the next tree and I sat down to catch my breath and gather myself. Im assuming it was attracted to the light but it almost felt like Mike Tyson tried to punch me out of the tree. Its funny now but not that morning.

Stephen2110

I think I would have put a bullet in that sucker before I drove home.
Honestly, I'm very embarrassed by my reaction. I KNEW it had to be a pig or dog when it came barreling out of the tree line. Also, when I made it to the 4wheeler and the lights were on it out there, why didn't I shoot it? I'm not sure, but it was genuinely the scariest experience in my 21 years in the woods.

I've attached the only picture I've ever caught of a hog on my property.

Attachments

• hog.png
    hog.png
    721.8 KB · Views: 17

bowandgun

Walked up on a herd of hogs at 430 in the am on my way to river. Snorts all around me. Thought of the movie Ol Yeller, back tracked out of there and no harm, but my heart was pounding for sure.