Harmonizing the new testament with the old testament

Artfuldodger

From the above I wonder if Paul preached to the Jews first and thus why he and the apostles did what they did but after his revelation, he preached a more grace or uncircumcised plan as revealed by Christ to him?

That being said though and why Romans 11 is so important is because there Paul tells us we do become Jews by adoption. So yes, I am white and Christian but I want to be Jewish.

jwf2506

The discussion on Cornelius and the timeline of gentile salvation made me think of Paul's revelation to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles. Like how long did he preach to the Jews before getting his revelation to spread the gospel to the Gentiles?
Maybe this timeline might help me see why Paul kept torah, etc. before heading out to witness to the Gentile. It's an article from a long gone preacher. I thought it was interesting.

"During that period, up to Acts 28, Paul became a Jew to the Jews (under the Law), and God’s order was “to the Jew first”."

"Paul did not receive his “uncircumcision” gospel from Peter and the Eleven."

"Christ sent Paul, not to baptize."

In Acts 9:1 to 15, we have the record of Paul’s (Saul’s) conversion. Then what followed? He straightway preached Christ (Messiah) in the synagogue.
Now, note carefully what he called this: “preached the faith which he once destroyed.” Galatians 1:23. Remember, Saul never persecuted Gentile Christians. He was turned to Christ before the door of salvation was opened to the Gentiles.

Fourteen years after, by revelation, Paul went again to Jerusalem and told them of a revelation he had received from the risen Christ, “the gospel of the uncircumcision”. Note, the Twelve learned it from Paul and not from Christ.

https://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/when-how-where-and-why-did-paul-receive-what/
Yeah that's alot to go over but we can do it, let me look through this because from your post it looks like you are asking some questions and also makes some statements , which is good for study .

Last edited:

jwf2506

To start with: Paul didn't preach to the Jews necessarily before he preached to the gentiles. He would have preached to anybody willing to hear the gospel message. This gospel message was the same gospel message that was given to the 11 (the gospel of the kingdom, Acts 1:3). This is the reason that he is preaching in Jerusalem, Judea, and then he moves towards the ends of the earth (Acts 1:8). He preached primarily to start with in Damascus before he started his missionary Journeys and also he preached in Jerusalem and in Judea (Acts 26:19-22)
Paul didn't receive the gospel from anybody but messianic Jews specifically the start of it from Ananias in Acts 9. In verse 20 it says he began preaching the gospel immediately with the disciples in the synagogue's of Damascus which goes right along with his defense in Acts 26 to Felix. So Paul was commissioned specifically to carry the gospel to the nations as well as Jewish converts when he was converted on the Damascus road. There wasn't a time that that he only spoke to the Jews before he receives a revelation to speak to gentiles. Prior to his conversion he persecuted the church as we see in his defense in Acts 26. Then at his conversion in Acts 9 we see a total confirmation where Paul starts to preach immediately to the locals in Damascus and the Judea and Jerusalem but not because he needs to just preach to the Jews or that he's commissioned to preach to the Jews first, but because he is in that region and that's who is there to preach to. At first Paul was feared by all around even after his conversion because of all the persecution he was causing before his conversion and so he kinda had to build some trust with the church but as soon as he does he is sent off to start the ministry to all the gentile nations (Acts 9:26-31). Notice that he is sent off by the brothers, these brothers are not gentiles that send him off but kinsmen people of Jewish decent.

As far as Paul teaching the brothers in Jerusalem that the gentiles could have salvation, I don't think this come from Paul. I believe this was established long before Paul came on the scene, we see this evident in Acts 10 with Cornelius's conversion. Now he reports back to the elders in Jerusalem several times about his success on his missionary journeys but not educate the brothers in Jerusalem that all the sudden the gentiles can receive salvation.

This is a take on this subject from a friend of mine, See if this makes since

brutally honest

No what is sad is that Grown ups that are claiming to be Christians can not engage in adult conversation about the holy scriptures without reverting to childish acts, 1st Corinthians 13:11 " when I was a child I spoke like a child,thought like a child and reason like a child, when I became a man I did away with childish things" .
I'm not trying to be mean I'm just being " Brutally honest "

1) I don’t joke about the scriptures.

2) If I hadn’t started the ball rolling, this thread would be as dead as the rest of this forum.

StriperAddict

OH and I do believe that grace replaced the law when Christ died on the Cross. Actually I don't think the Law ever saved anyone.
It didn't, the purpose of the law of Moses was to point Jews to the finished work of Christ. And for the non Jews, the conscience was used by God to do the same. Rom 2:12-16

StriperAddict

As far as Paul teaching the brothers in Jerusalem that the gentiles could have salvation, I don't think this come from Paul. I believe this was established long before Paul came on the scene, we see this evident in Acts 10 with Cornelius's conversion.
Gentile salvation was a discovery in the heart of God as revealed by the Spirit to Paul, discussed in Romans; that the gentiles were "also predestined" for salvation, not God pickin and choosing who gets burnt and who doesn't.
I ain't going into that if it starts a different ball rolling. But jew and gentile salvation is well exigeted in the PD scriptures.

jwf2506

Especially Acts 15:20 where he tells them 4 things they should do which is from the law of Moses probably because they were .struggling with these particular things. then in verse 21 they could learn the rest of the law by going to the synagogue. Then verses 28-29 the message was delivered also saying they didn't want to give them to much at one time to learn but they was to start with these 4 things and then learn the rest from the teaching of Moses in the synagogue.
Beautiful isn't it.

And what is so cool about this scripture is how it is directly inline with Leviticus 17-18, theses are the first four commandments they are giving right after the day of atonement "forgiveness". It is so great how the renewed covenant ties in with the first covenant.