Heat Pump question

Oldstick

Just use the unit in aux heat.That is the same as having an electric furnace.Anything below 40 degrees ,you are not going to get any heat from the heat pump anyway.

And be prepared for bigger winter bills from the electric company if you do that.

Dbender

Just use the unit in aux heat.That is the same as having an electric furnace.Anything below 40 degrees ,you are not going to get any heat from the heat pump anyway.
This is incorrect. O.p. you sound like you are a little low on freon. When you bump your therm up a couple degrees the unit automatically switches to aux heat until it satisfies the therm. Swapping primarily to aux heat will cost you a fortune. I'd just call a reputable company. We can't help over the computer, too many variables.

buckpasser

My unit is properly charged, but heat pumps just don’t seem to work too well in really cold temps. I doubt any of our northern countrymen rely on heat pumps for heat north of the Mason Dixon. Emergency heat works but is expensive. A furnace has got to be a more efficient option if we had colder winters.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Anything below 40 degrees ,you are not going to get any heat from the heat pump anyway.
Wrong. You are off by 10-15 degrees.

That fact that you are spouting off about something you don't know about just revealed you banned screen name to me.

livetohunt

Had a tech come out and it's low freon..R22 unit and he said evaporator coil is rusted. He recommended a new unit of course since they don't make R22 anymore and said the coil for my 3 ton Lennox would be around $2500...For those guys that work heating and air, what do you recommend?

Cmp1

BANNED
IMO,as an HVAC Tech for 22 yrs,,,,in the north,,,, I would just go with an AC unit and gas furn,depending on a lot of variables,,,,I just don't think you'll ever be happy with the heat out of a heat pump,even with 410 refrig,,,,a 90 furn is so cheap now,,,,but a lot of variables,,,,just my opinion,,,,

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
IMO,as an HVAC Tech for 22 yrs,,,,in the north,,,, I would just go with an AC unit and gas furn,depending on a lot of variables,,,,I just don't think you'll ever be happy with the heat out of a heat pump,even with 410 refrig,,,,a 90 furn is so cheap now,,,,but a lot of variables,,,,just my opinion,,,,

that is what i did one my last one. plus I found a lp distributor that will contract a one year term price. Right now I am buying propane at $1.18 a gallon

Cmp1

BANNED
that is what i did one my last one. plus I found a lp distributor that will contract a one year term price. Right now I am buying propane at $1.18 a gallon
Nice,I figured maybe he had Nat gas,we have propane here in the sticks,,,,wish we had Nat gas,,,,really cheap,,,,

livetohunt

I'm in the country south of Atlanta..I'll probably try to add some freon and see how long it lasts..If that doesn't work I'll buy a new unit. I think they make an R22 knock off that is much cheaper(but probably doesn't work as well).

Lukikus2

I'm in the country south of Atlanta..I'll probably try to add some freon and see how long it lasts..If that doesn't work I'll buy a new unit. I think they make an R22 knock off that is much cheaper(but probably doesn't work as well).

It works fine. Can't believe the tech didn't at least do that.