High School Weightlifting Programs

BeerThirty

Might be a longshot on this forum, but I am looking for some input from anyone who has done serious weight training or is up-to-date with newer strength programs, specifically as it relates to sports or athletic training.

The reason I am asking is because my oldest son (freshman) is now into his high school football team's core off-season strength program and they are taking an approach that is making me scratch my head a little bit.

Back when we trained, we targeted the same lift twice per week, i.e. we did bench press on Mon/Wed, we did squats and cleans Tues/Thurs, amongst other lifts etc... Well, I am finding out that my son's program they never repeat the same lift twice, rather they will focus on muscle groups. For example, his Monday arms day he will do a close-grip bench press, and then Wed. he will do a normal grip bench. On his leg days, they do squats and lunges on Tuesday, but then on their Thursday leg day they follow up with deadlifts. I get the general idea, but at the same time I question if not doubling down with some consistency on the same lift is not maximizing strength potential.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
High school weight rooms look a lot different than they did when we were in school. Sport science has advanced far beyond what we thought we knew back then. It may not be what you think works, but I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Just look at athlete's bodies today vs then....

Jeetdawg

A question that I would ask is what certifications/accreditations does the coach have. My son is a freshman in college now, but his high school had a state of the art gym and the coach had various weight training certifications. They did a lot of combination movements with an emphasis for baseball players. He also worked out with a trainer in the summer and it wasn’t like anything I saw back in the day. They tended to focus on muscle groups with different lifts…way advanced nowadays.

HermanMerman

I’m sure they know what they are doing but at the bare minimum…. Eat right, run every day until you think you are going to be sick, and pump iron like a mad man. And by iron I don’t mean leg press machines, or Smith machines, or cables… I mean pick up iron over and over again.

shootemall

If it were me, I'd go to the source and ask the coach, and express my questionsand concerns. He would probably appreciate the candor and like the chance to get you to buy in to his strategy. If not...

I think if you asked a local gym, body building clinic etc (or called/visited one a couple towns over in case you think it might get back to the coach that you questioned the approach), they'd be happy to help answer your questions. Think about it from their perspective, they have a passion about weight lifting or working out, and you are asking them to talk about what interests them. Unless they have a busy schedule, you probably will find out all you want. Maybe try during a week day.

I think it's like when I'm fishing, and somebody shows up on the dock/bank and they don't have a clue. If I'm catching crappie on minnows, I might give them a couple minnows, and show them how to rig it. If I'm at a freshly stocked trout stream, especially when kids are involved, I've heard other anglers call out what the fish are biting. Orange rooster tail, brass spoon, chartreuse power bait, worm... we're a community and help out each other.

When I've lifted in the past a friend once told me that nobody judges the out-of-shape person entering the gym, rather they're excited somebody took interest in the activity and joined the club. I think somebody who knows what they're doing will be enthusiastic to discuss your child's program, whether it is the coach or someone in the industry.

earlthegoat2

How hard are they working out?
What is the volume and intensity levels?

There is a concept in strength and conditioning known as periodization. This is the cycling of volume and intensity during a certain “period” to maximize output and performance without burning the athletes out which is called “overtraining”.

There are many ways to accomplish periodization. One way is to use a certain weight on Monday and a percentage less of that weight on Wednesday. Usually these weights are a percentage of a 1 rep maximum. So Monday might be bench press 80% of 1RM for 4-6 reps for 3 sets and Wednesday may be 70% with the same sets and reps.

Another way is to do variations on the same movement. Example, bench press 80% of 1RM for 4-6 reps and 3 sets and Wednesday may be close grip bench press also 80% of 1RM with same sets and reps.

The movement is slightly different so the risk of overtraining is lessened.

This is the tip of the tip of the tip of the iceberg. Heed the advice above and ask the coach. There are many different processes to train. Ideally different approaches are taken for each stage of the season.

I only know enough to be dangerous really. I am a certified personal trainer and am in the later stages of getting my certification in strength and conditioning so I know the book stuff but don’t have a ton of experience working with actual athletes but that is the goal.

If the coach has a CSCS type certification he will be good to go. Ask. There are a few other similar certifications out there and they are extremely challenging to attain. Even if if the coach doesn’t have one of these carts it doesn’t mean they don’t know what they are doing.