Hot range session....too bad the sweat didn't drain out the rusty-rookie mistakes....

Dub

Howdy all.

Did something today that has been long overdue. Nothing unusual for most on this site.....but it was an unprecedented event for me.

I've been gaining ground on some health issues that have had me sidelined from hobbies and hindered me at work recently. Gaining ground on them, though. Grateful.

I've got a a hernia to get repaired soon and that should help me get back on track and hitting the gym once again and feeling better soon thereafter.

Sweating off some time everyday while enjoying music on the treadmill and elliptical will be therapeutic in many ways. Simple stuff, but a long time in the making while nursing leg, knee and back recoveries.

40th birthday came and went like a champ. Nothing different.

45th birthday, though....whew.....stuff started falling apart like my warranty had expired. :rofl:

Hoping to be healing up from the hernia thing by my 47th and attempting local 5k runs by my 50th. Doesn't sound like a huge milestone but it's what I'm gearing up for.

The other thing I've been wanting to do is to get back to more frequent participation in the shooting sports. I'm going to join GSSF and shoot at a local ranges monthly IDPA events. Hopefully this will lead to 3-gun and other fun stuff.

I'm rusty as heck, though. It's been 2 years since I've pulled the trigger on anything and that was a .270Win deer rifle.

The unprecedented parts of this experience is that today's range session were:
*done after such a long interval
*done in a new-to-me-indoor range......95% of my life's trigger time has been outdoors. 90 degree afternoon had that place good and steamy inside.
*done with all new weapons firing their first rounds other than factory proof rounds. I'm not flush with cash.....just a guy who went through the gun safes and thinned out the ranks of some never used hunting guns and made excellent trades and/or sales to fun 100% the cost of these 5 new target & home defense weapons.
*done without my glasses.......left them at home like a dummy

Okay....enough of the excuses and on with the range report. :)

The guns fired today were a trusted Browning Buckmark that I've shot in several sessions. I enjoy plinking with this gun a great deal. Since it was of known quality and normally very accurate.....it seemed like a great pistol to kick things off with.

The 22lr ammo fed and rand smoothly. The normally neon bright front sight was subdued like never before once in this range.

The trigger on this Buckmark is a thing of beauty as are the controls and feel of it. Great strategy to use her as the lead-off pistol.

The next guns on deck were three new 9mm Glocks. I wasn't joking about getting into GSSF events. It's going to happen, folks.

Each are from there Gen4 offerings: G19, G17 and a G34 MOS.

I've never been able to feel comfortable with their G19 until the Gen4 versions came out. The larger of the beavertail backstraps puts my hand in a great position and allows me to grip this little performer with great confidences and comfort.

I'm running the largest beavertail on each of them. I like the feel of them.....really like the feel.

Our dogs seemed to be calm with the idea of me getting the range bags loaded. The puppy in the background has never even seen the bags. The older gal in the forefront has seen them being packed up plenty of times. :)

Dub

The other new pistol taken along was my Colt WC Government.

I am very pleased with the way this gun is set up. Truly a case of most everything I wanted and almost nothing I didn't on a 1911. I can already see where this gun has the potential to be my main .45acp.

The undercut trigger guard and checkering settle it in my paw very nicely. Feels really secure and comfortable.

The last gun shot today was also another new Colt......yet a platform that I'm fairly green on.

I'd ordered a few Magpul magazines that I found on sale. I didn't realize until today that they were some color other than black. No problem with me as they were a steal and always nice to have extras.

Dub

Okay.....so far you've seen most of the GOOD.

The rest of the GOOD is that the range is within a 10-15 minute drive from the house and it's an older indoor range that's been bought by a newer group that has been rebuilding and restructuring their arrangement.

Their employees are helpful and knowledgeable and ever vigilant with range safety.

They have a growing pro-shop and are even teaching reloading classes and selling Dillion equipment and related reloading supplies. Ah yes. further ideas have already been getting the rusty shooting gears in my head turning. Ideas coming together.

They have purchased a track of land 5 minutes from their indoor range and have set up a 200 yard rifle range, pistol range, pistol steel plate range and other stuff.

They host various events with more coming. I'm enthused and think I've found a great resource that's in the making.

The old range has already been recovered in a noticeable way. Their future plans are very promising, too.

All the pistol shooting was done at 33'

The AR-15 was shoot at the furthest distance from the line.

The rest of the report.......my rusty shooting is the BAD and the UGLY.

The ammo was 9mm 115gr Blazer Brass and .45acp 230gr Blazer Brass. I don't recall the .223 specifically but it was 55gr steel cased budget fodder that I've had for a few years. The 22lr was some Winchester bulk pack that I had in my range bag.

First three magazines were shot through the BuckMark. Felt good....but blurry sight and target image. Looking forward to going back with my proper glasses. I'm thinking that it's now time to transition to contacts, too.

Think I'll set up an appointment really soon.

Dub

Next up was the little mighty-mite G19.

Then the G17....a platform that I do have more familiarity as I've shot a number of G17's over the years.

The G34 was the final Glock.

Dub

Next was the WC Government.

I used only some old Kimber magazines that I've had for years. I had a pair of Springer 1911's a couple years back that hated them. This gun had zero trouble.

I only loaded 5 rounds per magazine....just to keep things simple.

Dub

Last up was the new Colt AR.

4 magazines with 25 rounds each at whatever the distance was to the furthest position the target would travel.

Dub

Shooting was UGLY.....butt UGLY.......but there were zero equipment issues. Every pull went bang and sent a round downrange. No feed issues. Zero problems. Zero.

I don't remember a time when I've had no malfunctions from 5 new guns......much less at the same time where I was making so many mistakes. Very pleased with this development.

Grouping was poor.

Yet, I'm very pleased with the outing for many reasons

First....a chance to get back to doing something you love is always a great experience. I feel great about the direction things will head. Trigger time has been absent for far too long and that is over with.

The rusty tendencies will be overcome in due time with proper practice and adjustments.

The "groupings" were mostly left and low. This is telling.

My stance was poor and presented a number of issues. Back to the basics, here. Will fix this. Gotta consider what "my" stance is currently with the leg & back issues I've been healing up. Steady and stable and everything will be hugely beneficial.

My grip was not consistent and can be resolved and settle things down very, very well. I feel these Glocks can now be gripped with a similar high grip that I enjoy on the 1911. I didn't take advantage of this today so I'm really enthused that improvements will be seen quickly over the next few sessions.

It was 90+ outside and felt hotter on the range. Sweat and humidity poured off the scratched up old safety glasses found in my range bag. Tossing these and getting fresh clean pairs that are more comfortable on my head. I prefer the straight temples that slide easy from beneath my hearing muffs when I want to take 'em off for a wipe down. I'll have a spare clean pair to swap out with.

I'm open for suggestions if there is a good type of spray or wipes that work best for this purpose. I'll grab a can or three and stash it in my range bags.

Heat and humidity around here is a way of life. Gotta suck it up and deal with it. Getting my butt on those dreadmill and elliptical machines and using more discipline in the kitchen and on the grill will yield best protection from the heat. Another area where improvement is now well in hand.

Last but not least.....you can't hit what you can't see........or at least I can't.

Gong to confer with my wife and call the eye doc she recommends tomorrow and get an appointment set up for a vision check and possibly going with contacts this time around.

Not having my glasses is bull. Getting back to the days of being able to shoot at competitor's arrow nocks back when I shot some 3D archery stuff for fun is going to be great fun.....and will be much easier and faster to accomplish than getting my shoulder repaired so I can resume archery again. (yet another goal for the future.......I want my archery back and the occasional bow killed deer in the freezer). Regaining health has it's benefits and fans the flames of motivation.

One thing that I will be examining is improving the sights on these guns.....after I improve my own vision first.

There must be a better front pin than what's on this AR-15. It's just not a field that I know squat about. I'm open to suggestions.....on this and all aspects of today's session.

I need to study up on best sighting practices with the flip up rear sight. There are two different sized rear peeps. The smaller one was not friendly for me today. Again....my new eyes will have to help.

Moving this handle thing-a-ma-jig forward one spot will help my comfort with this rifle. My thumb can run right up the light bracket. I'll try it and see. Need to shoot it with a light attached before I make any moves, though.

My memories of Glocking several years ago were that the factory sights always worked well for me......admittedly they aren't the most durable.....but they worked out fine. Today.....same sights......not so much. Will evaluate after the contacts or new glasses arrive.

The brass bead on the front of this gem wasn't great in the indoor range, either. Perhaps another area where a small tweak will yield some benefits.

The dimness indoors today cut the benefit of this excellent outdoor sight on the BuckMark has me steered toward the benefits of a night sight with high definition. A few sets of Trijicon HD sights may be on my Christmas list this year.

Yup.....today's poor shooting results were happy results for this 46 year old dude.

I'm grateful to be getting onto more firm & healthy ground and getting on with fun stuff. Being cooped up to a bed or chair watching TV isn't a hobby.

Feels good to have gunpowder all over my arms and face. Being slapped in the head by hot shell casings bouncing off the lane barrier was wonderful.

In conclusion, another area of improvement will be with my rate of fire.

I've only had one experience in my lifetime where I had a range officer inform me there was a rate of fire rule. What the heck ?

Outdoor ranges and whatever pace of play safely suited me was what I'd always done.

Today's range enforced a 1-second-per-shot limit. I was constantly having to throttle back my speed.

I'll get accustomed to this and be ready for next time. Those front sights are back on line much quicker than a second. I'll have to get used to this.

Rate of fire. Interesting concept. Where's it been all my life? Time to hurry up and slow down.

Thanks for reading through my afternoon. I had a ball.

Can't wait until next time I step up to the target line.........

GSURugger

The front sight post on the AR is easily replaced. There are many tritium models available. The rear flip: the larger peep is better for faster target acquisition at closer ranges. Small for further targets.

ClemsonRangers

Great stuff

i put a carry handle on mine, and use the large peep, always, cause i cant see no more:bounce:

FlipKing

Great write up and its great to see you get back in the saddle! Congratulations!

frankwright

The GSSF matches are fun, not too exciting but still fun.
The random prizes are nice too. I have won money or a gun at about 75% of the ones I shoot which are Conyers, Griffin and Dawsonville.

The indoor GADPA/IDPA matches are a lot of fine. I think we have nine ranges now, maybe more. There is one near you for sure. It is a good way to sharpen your gun handling skills.
I will be shooting the one tonight in McDonough.

Good Luck on your new quest!

shooting looks fine to me

and lots of fun.

My self defense instructor will tell you a pistol is a device to get you back to the rifle you should have had to begin with.

that being said a glock 27 in 40s&w is my carry gun.

I put a 3x9x40 with luminated reticle on my black gun.

Love the colt

looks good!

s&r

660griz

Very nice. I hope to get into 3 gun one day. Got the VEPR 12, AR, and just trying to decide which pistol. I have a Glock 22 but, would prefer something in 9mm. I have a Ruger P89 but, not sure how it would do and if I get a Glock, I can just lay it down without worries of "did I put the safety on", in the heat of 'battle'. I put a 1x4 Throwdown scope on my AR and hope to remove all iron sights soon.

Glad you are back at it. Don't worry about groupings too much yet. Especially if shooting the cheap stuff. Groupings out of my AR with the cheap stuff is not good. Seems the more I pay for ammo, the better my groups. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Looks like some pretty durn good shooting to me, Dub. Nice guns, too! Another option for the AR: My 5.56 wears a Vortex red-dot sight, with the irons co-witnessed through it. I love it, great sight for <100 yard shooting, and the irons are still there if I need them.

bearpugh

Gone but not forgotten
glad you are well. a little shootin always helps a man on the mend.

SGaither

Nice shooting Dub, keep it up and that rust will be gone in no time. If you find that your G19 is too small for your bear paw hands I might know someone that'll keep her warm ;).

JohnK

There was a time when my eye sight was excellent, it's still good but I can't see up close. They told me it's just old eyes not cataracts. Since 60 I find it very hard to see the sights. I can use them some but it's a slow process. Just trying to say that your up close vision may get worse overnight.
I have one of the sights hillbilly has and it's a big improvement. On an ar I like the red dots.