Hot range session....too bad the sweat didn't drain out the rusty-rookie mistakes....

Marlin_444

Good shooting!

Dub

Great stuff

i put a carry handle on mine, and use the large peep, always, cause i cant see no more:bounce:

Yup. That larger peep is the one for me, too.

Great write up and its great to see you get back in the saddle! Congratulations!

Thanks. It sure feels good to be back into the stuff I enjoy.

All in all, not a bad "back to the range" session!

Thank you. It sure felt good. Forgive all my excuses. Those are going to be knocked out one step at the time.

Gonna be fun getting there.

Shooting is therapeutic in many ways.

The GSSF matches are fun, not too exciting but still fun.
The random prizes are nice too. I have won money or a gun at about 75% of the ones I shoot which are Conyers, Griffin and Dawsonville.

The indoor GADPA/IDPA matches are a lot of fine. I think we have nine ranges now, maybe more. There is one near you for sure. It is a good way to sharpen your gun handling skills.
I will be shooting the one tonight in McDonough.

Good Luck on your new quest!

Thank you. I'll have many, many questions for you in a few months as I get rolling along. I'll be in touch.

I've always admired Glock's participation and support for GSSF. Good stuff. Win-win for so many.

and lots of fun.

My self defense instructor will tell you a pistol is a device to get you back to the rifle you should have had to begin with.

that being said a glock 27 in 40s&w is my carry gun.

I put a 3x9x40 with luminated reticle on my black gun.

Love the colt

looks good!

s&r

Thanks. I've heard similar comments about handguns are okay if that's all you have until you get to a real gun. :biggrin2:

The AR sure is a fun gun to shoot and it's even evident to a novice like me how versatile they can be.

Very nice. I hope to get into 3 gun one day. Got the VEPR 12, AR, and just trying to decide which pistol. I have a Glock 22 but, would prefer something in 9mm. I have a Ruger P89 but, not sure how it would do and if I get a Glock, I can just lay it down without worries of "did I put the safety on", in the heat of 'battle'. I put a 1x4 Throwdown scope on my AR and hope to remove all iron sights soon.

Glad you are back at it. Don't worry about groupings too much yet. Especially if shooting the cheap stuff. Groupings out of my AR with the cheap stuff is not good. Seems the more I pay for ammo, the better my groups. :)

Thanks. I appreciate the insight. That was some mighty low cost (compared to the other) AR ammo. I was wrong on the round count for each target......I only had 20 in each magazine, not 25. Still sprayed them hugely.

9mm really appealed to me with the Glocks because of the ammo availability and lower comparative cost of some other rounds. Ultimately, I'd like to get rolling with reloading again.......progressive press this time vs just the single stage I used to use for improving hunting rifle accuracy. It was a learning experience that taught me a lot. Hopefully it'll all come back quick and help me ease back into it with some faster gear.

I'd sure love to have this in place well before I have the hernia repair and other stuff. Cranking out some usable ammo would be a nice way to pass some of the recovery time. :cool:

Looks like some pretty durn good shooting to me, Dub. Nice guns, too! Another option for the AR: My 5.56 wears a Vortex red-dot sight, with the irons co-witnessed through it. I love it, great sight for <100 yard shooting, and the irons are still there if I need them.

Thanks, Brother.....thanks !

We've got a red dot on my son's S&W15-22. It co-witnesses the irons and we've both become fans of that set up really quickly.

I'm mighty impressed with the Vortex stuff I've looked into. Seems like they've got some well made gear that will more than suite any need I'd have.

glad you are well. a little shootin always helps a man on the mend.

Yes it do.....yes it do. Thank you.

Nice shooting Dub, keep it up and that rust will be gone in no time. If you find that your G19 is too small for your bear paw hands I might know someone that'll keep her warm ;).

Thank you.

:biggrin2: That little G19 is growing on me like a little puppy that starts acting right. It's got some serious upside that I've just not experienced before due to fit issues.

Now.....I almost wish I'd also given the G26 a look. Those backstraps make them now usable for me. Glock adding beavertails....who'd a thunk it ? Mighty considerate of them to include those of oversized folks like me in their midst. Now, if only they'd add another X to their shirt sizes then I'd be in there tight......like a hair in a biscuit. :rofl:

There was a time when my eye sight was excellent, it's still good but I can't see up close. They told me it's just old eyes not cataracts. Since 60 I find it very hard to see the sights. I can use them some but it's a slow process. Just trying to say that your up close vision may get worse overnight.
I have one of the sights hillbilly has and it's a big improvement. On an ar I like the red dots.

That red dot on my son's rimfire AR really made a believer out of me. Through it up to shoulder and it gets on target with both eyes open. This is a huge benefit for me. Both eyes.

One of the things that really appealed to me about that particular G34 model is that it came with different plates to allow easy mounting a number of aftermarket red dot scopes on the slide. All it takes is couple minutes with an Allen wrench and some locktite and anyone can mount a red dot on it.

I'm anticipating the fun-factor to be high with this one down the road.

They have announced a 10mm version expected to be out in the next month or so that's set up the same way.

Sure would be the fun to get a shot at a close ranging deer with one if they aren't spooked off by my snoring in the stand. :fine:

cmshoot

1x red dot optics are quick and easy to use.......good to see you're using them with both eyes open! So many folks close one eye and use them like a magnified scope. That negates many of the benefits of a 1x optic.

Dub

1x red dot optics are quick and easy to use.......good to see you're using them with both eyes open! So many folks close one eye and use them like a magnified scope. That negates many of the benefits of a 1x optic.

Yup.....both eyes.....or what's left of them. :D

Dang, man.....I had a nice big archery bag set up with a 42 yard shot from my deck. It was nothing.....and I mean nothing at all to spot dark nocks and aim at them. Then I had to evolve to hi-viz nocks......then............well by then I was wearing glasses to shoot.

I have to occasionally read barcodes on the job....small little jokers. Now I carry a little magnifying glass along as EDC. :bounce:

Time for those contacts. I'll be like a kid at Christmas going fool over the new vision.

As far as the red dot gear.....I am wanting to put one on both the AR & the G34 eventually.

Gotta see how the overtime funds at work pan out for some more toys. :cheers: