How Big Will That Buck Be Next Year

davidhelmly

“Be warned, this is pretty long…”

I can’t count how many times I have asked that question and also heard other hunters ask it. I guess that’s one reason my wife Cindy and I like to shed hunt so much, all year long we guess “what will that buck score” from trailcam pictures and sightings but I want to know what he scores if possible!

This spring was one of the worst years that we have had on our lease for finding sheds, we found maybe 8-10 fresh sheds, another half dozen or so old ones and the usual 6-8 dead bucks. There was 1 shed that I found this year and recognized right away, it was off of a buck named Cheesy from 2013. We have found hundreds of sheds off of Little Creek in the 10 years that we have had it and have found a decent number of matched sets as well as sheds from the same buck on successive years, with finding 1 side of Cheesys 2013 rack that gave us 4 consecutive years of antlers for him and that was a first for us!

We have his matched set from 2012, 1 side from 2013, his matched set from 2014 and I killed him during the 2015 season, I know it’s not that big of a deal to some but it was huge for me. We have all read the articles and seen the pictures about the researchers and biologist having several seasons of sheds from penned bucks and what changes they made every year and that is very cool but they are still pen deer, now we have sheds from a live free roaming average GA deer from 2.5 years old to 5.5 years old and I couldn’t wait to sit down with a tape measure and actually see what the year to year changes with the tape, that is what this long, picture heavy post is about!

The story of Cheesy started on the morning of Nov 9th 2012, I was running the camera and Cindy was hunting in some mature pines with a decoy setup in a small linear food plot. She did a calling sequence and a couple minutes later we caught movement coming toward the decoy, it was a little 7 point with his ears laid back and he looked like he meant business. After staring at the decoy for a while and then posturing in he just slammed the decoy, we sat there and laughed at this very aggressive little 2.5 yo buck who was later named Cheesy! That was the first time we remembered seeing him but for the rest of November it seemed like it didn’t matter where we were hunting on our 1250 acre lease, if we called or rattled you could count on him showing up quickly, he was very aggressive and very responsive to calls!

Here is a short clip of him slamming the decoy and a trailcam pic I found of him in velvet.

Here is 2013 where Cheesy was 3.5 years old and had done a decent amount of growing from the previous year. This year we knew who he was and kept an eye on him thru the summer and also the season, he looked like he may have some potential…

Here is a short clip of him from July, he is the buck on the left of the video in the beginning.

2 trailcam pics of him and a trailcam video in late season after he had broken off a brow tine, (the side I found this year).

And a short clip of him from November 9th AGAIN, following a doe and not far from where he was Nov 9 the year before when he attacked the decoy.

2014 rolls around and we are getting trailcam pics and videos of Cheesy all summer long and he is certainly bigger than he was the season before, and even though we had several mature bucks to hunt that season he was one that I put at the top of my hitlist. Surprisingly Cindy said that she would probably pass him if the situation arose because he was making great jumps in size every year and she would love to see what he would be the next year at 5.5… I told her I thought she was crazy because everyone on our club and surrounding clubs would kill him the first chance they got, she used a phrase on me that I had used a lot in the past… “The only thing for sure is, if you kill him there is no chance of him making it until next year and getting bigger, if you pass him he at least has a chance.”

Here are a couple trailcam pics and a video of him in 2014.

On November 12th true to her word, Cindy had a chip shot at Cheesy and passed him. I saw him first and bumped her to get her attention and I was busy getting the camera on him, I got him framed and gave her the nod, I waited… and waited… and finally looked up from the camera to see what was wrong and her bow was hanging on the hook and she was watching him with her binoculars!! Once again I let her know that I thought she was crazy!!

That brings us to 2015, for the entire 2015 season I hunted 1 sit without a cameraman, I just didn’t have anyone to film that day and of course that was Jan 1st 2016, the day I killed Cheesy… I wasn’t thinking Cindy was crazy for passing him the year before at this moment!!

Here is some velvet footage of him from July of that year, and a couple of trailcam videos and pics of him.

And a couple of after pics.

If you are going to make guesses at his gross scores for each year now’s the time to do it before you go any farther, how many inches did he put on each year…

Here is a pic of his score sheet for 2012 when he was 2.5, the only score guessed was his spread.

2013 when he was 3.5, the length of his missing brow tine was guessed and since I only had 1 side of his rack I just doubled the score of it and also guessed the spread.

2014 when he was 4.5, the only guessed measurement was his spread.

2015 when he was 5.5, these figures were copied straight from the official P&Y score sheet

Here is a pic of all 4 score sheets and a pic of the sheds together it may make it easier to compare them.

To me he is a pretty average deer for our area of the state and the jumps he made from year to year are about what I would expect but to me it was just cool to know what he did and not just guess from pics!

Sorry it was such a lengthy post and so pic/video heavy, I tried to shorten the videos as much as possible and keep the pics to a minimum but it still stretched out, lol. Anyway it was a good distraction for me to kill some time until Sept 9th and hopefully it’ll do the same for some of you!! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:

Good buck... good information...

Thanks to trail cameras... we get to see deer grow up...

There are so many we have through the whole season... but never get to see...

Which is what keeps us going back and willing to pass up rather good bucks in favor of what Dagger or Magnificent 7 or Bump will look like at 4.5 or 5.5 years...

Triple C

David...For reasons that I really don't understand a mature whitetail buck is one of the most majestic animals on earth. Wish we could get more of them to the 5 yr old class and older. What a thrill to hunt and finally harvest such a majestic animal that you've had so much history.

SakoL61R

Awesome post, vids, pics, and a great read. Congrats on the harvest. There is so much potential if they can make it to full maturity.

Doolydawg03

Great post David it goes to show what they can do from 2-3 cheesy made his biggest jump there, for example a buck on my lease from 2015 year that went from an 85-90" at 2.5 yrs old to a 129 4/8" 215 lbs 3.5 yr old 2016 he was unfortunately killed by one of the members. I would have loved to of seen him this year not trying to steal your thread just sharing a short story of something i observed. Congrats again on a great buck!!!!!

livetohunt

David, nice information. Following a buck thru the years is one of the most enjoyable and anticipated parts of hunting. This time of year is so interesting to watch the growth and see how these bucks progress. He had pretty impressive growth from 2-3 years.

BornToHuntAndFish

Good stuff, David. Very interesting following & experiencing the life of a mature whitetail over several years. I know it was very rewarding to you. Wish everyone could experience this. Thanks for posting. Congrats again, Sir.

:bounce:

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Great post and even better deer, David! Y'all keep it up! :clap: :clap:

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
Great story, Pics and a fantastic ending. Hope you have a couple of his offspring in the pipeline for this year.

Congrats.

Jeff

kevincox

Great info David. Getting a buck to 5.5 is a heck of an accomplishment in Ga. i see lots of bucks that are 1 year away from being really really nice but they always seem to get killed at 3.5. From my experience in my area the deer don't make as big of jumps in score as Cheesy did. I'm sure your feeding program is helping a bunch.The main beam length on Chessy is imprssive even at younger ages

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
David, I love the way that you have educated us about various deer as your expertise with trail cameras and video cameras has opened up a new world for lots of hunters not only here in Georgia but in lots of other areas because of the viewing public of this website.

I always try and view all of your posts over the years as you have a fantastic management program in place and by being able to share your actual encounters on film and in print, you have proven that with patience, a good nutrient program, and a lot of shoe leather involved year-round, you can achieve your overall goal if you put forth the right effort.

As I read and watched every bit of the information in this thread, it surely made me feel like I was right there along with you and Cindy on all of these experiences. Thumbs up for having such a wonderful partner to enjoy all of these great outdoors too. Keep up the good work and Thanks for sharing this information with all of us. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Slowmow24

David, I love the way that you have educated us about various deer as your expertise with trail cameras and video cameras has opened up a new world for lots of hunters not only here in Georgia but in lots of other areas because of the viewing public of this website.

I always try and view all of your posts over the years as you have a fantastic management program in place and by being able to share your actual encounters on film and in print, you have proven that with patience, a good nutrient program, and a lot of shoe leather involved year-round, you can achieve your overall goal if you put forth the right effort.

As I read and watched every bit of the information in this thread, it surely made me feel like I was right there along with you and Cindy on all of these experiences. Thumbs up for having such a wonderful partner to enjoy all of these great outdoors too. Keep up the good work and Thanks for sharing this information with all of us. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

I couldn't agree more with this statement above. I absolutely love all your topics and information. It has definitely help me a lot getting acclimated to the hunting in Georgia and of course the blood pumping as we wait for deer season.

Words can't describe how awesome things like this truly are. Thanks for sharing as always and God Bless.

Meriwether Mike

Great post David. Gives us a lot of food for thought if we will pass on them 3 1/2 year olds as to what they can become. Thanks for posting this info.

davidhelmly

Thanks for all of the kind words, it was really fun digging up these old photos and videos and sitting down to measure the sheds! It's funny because the day I found his 13' shed this year, I had walked long and hard all day and Cindy had already got in the truck, I was making one last pass thru an area that had been cut and replanted several years ago on my way to where she was picking me up when I found it. I knew exactly what shed it was when I saw it and when I got to the truck she said "you must have found a good one from that smile!" :bounce:

Great info David. Getting a buck to 5.5 is a heck of an accomplishment in Ga. i see lots of bucks that are 1 year away from being really really nice but they always seem to get killed at 3.5. From my experience in my area the deer don't make as big of jumps in score as Cheesy did. I'm sure your feeding program is helping a bunch.The main beam length on Chessy is imprssive even at younger ages

You're right Kevin, even with all the management on our lease and around us there still aren't many 5.5's running around and we see the same thing with 3.5's, I don't know that most of them get killed every year but we will have 10-15 3.5's on camera and then next season we only see maybe 4-5 of them as 4.5's, we have had that discussion numerous times, where do they go...
I agree with you on his length, he is longer than average for us but a little undersized on mass so that's what I mean meant as average, just average score overall. I would have to look but I believe his beams are the longest of any buck we have killed, his length certainly helped his score! :yeah:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Excellent information David. I doubt there is anybody on this board that puts in as much work on studying deer than you.

BTW, you married a very smart girl.:bounce::cool:

DoubleRR

David....Awesome Job....well done..as usual! ...Thanks for all of these years and more to come at LCBC!!!
RR

Dirtroad Johnson

David...For reasons that I really don't understand a mature whitetail buck is one of the most majestic animals on earth. Wish we could get more of them to the 5 yr old class and older. What a thrill to hunt and finally harvest such a majestic animal that you've had so much history.

I couldn't agree more, good info David.

Jim Boyd

Awesome, David - just awesome.

Hard work went into the post and even HARDER work in the herd.

You are the man!

Latest posts