How close do you park your ATV to your stand?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Let's say someone purchased a track of land that's been untouched for say 10 yrs in prime area of Georgia. Then started a club, would he introduce ATV's? I don't think so

What if that someone has mobility issues? He dang sure would.

He might even mow trails through said property to facilitate getting the ATV to all areas.
Any Deer that object would have permission to leave. Some of the objecting deer would leave while strapped in a green sled being towed by a red golf cart.D2B16810-6459-454E-B075-47D0883789FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Dean

Depends on the property. Have a very large lease tract that simply does not see much (if any) truck/tractor/ATV/UTV activity for 7-8 or so months a year. The land basically is undisturbed for the most part until work days, planting and hunting season. I have personally watched deer raise their heads and peer towards a ATV driving on a logging road almost 400 yrds away....they noticed. We manage motorized travel and parking during hunting season.
Have a 2nd much smaller property that regularly - if not daily, certainly weekly has UTV/truck/tractor activity on it. I have watched numerous deer within 100 yrds simply stand and watch as we drive by. We can pull up to a plot and watch deer actively feeding within a few 100 yrds. We have a couple plots that deer get on early afternoons, we have learned that is it better to drive all the way to the plot, let the deer leave the plot, drive back a short way, walk to the plot and the deer filter back in within 15-30 minutes…..I know we are hunting in GA, and GA deer can be 'different' , but I am aware of many, many outfitters/guides that prefer to drop and collect a hunter by motorized travel as close to the stand sight as possible. Ask a GA logger how many deer they see cutting timber or sitting on equipment. I believe its land specific -- some tracts can tolerate it, and some can't.

Wayne D Davis

What if that someone has mobility issues? He dang sure would.

He might even mow trails through said property to facilitate getting the ATV to all areas.
Any Deer that object would have permission to leave. Some of the objecting deer would leave while strapped in a green sled being towed by a red golf cart.
That's a total different story. But most folks on ATV hunting can get around just fine. I'd like to be able to use one after the harvest myself but can't. I'm always prepared for a haul out. Sled stays in the truck

bubbafowler

So are all of you that manage your land to benefit deer walking your trap lines?? I mean since i'm all about managing deer i definitely trap and can't imagine walking my trap lines daily. I certainly ride to them.

Mark K

Banned
Here’s my thoughts, and this is on a property that trucks, tractors, and UTV’s are used just about daily.
Normal riding on any of them and I could shoot a limit a day. No trophies, but a limit a day.
Now you go cutting the fool revving up engines with fast and slow speeds and the deer get on edge and really pay attention.
But as someone posted, every land is different. If ATV’s are not the norm then I’d probably only use one to get my deer and that would be after I drug it to the road. I just like to walk anyways, figure they’ll come a time I can’t do I make the best of my health now.

Mark K

Banned
So are all of you that manage your land to benefit deer walking your trap lines?? I mean since i'm all about managing deer i definitely trap and can't imagine walking my trap lines daily. I certainly ride to them.
Due to having a full time job and checking in the dark before work with limited sleep time, most of my sets are on the main roads or drivable roads and those that aren’t are monitored by cell cams.
Again, these areas I trap see daily vehicular traffic anyways. And most of my trapping is after deer season. I have one 35ac place I trap during deer season near work and I walk it. I have pulled out of a field after walking it and met one of the hunters coming in and him texting right after daylight showing me pics of a deer he had just killed.
All depends on the land and location.

LONGTOM

I have been reading this with great interest. I can no longer leap over mountains in a single bound. I no longer hunt the mountains, they get steeper every year. my atv has kept me hunting the last few years,the young guys usually help me get my deer out. I like my atv so much I bought a utv this year, should make it easier on the young guys. lol. The deer do not seem to mind and I do not mind if I don't get one. Just being able to hunt is what is important to me now. I will not judge you if your choices or situation are different from mine. GOOD HUNTING !

There are so many ATV's around our club running around that its quite pathetic. I dont think that it matters what people do. I like to park a few hundred yards away and walk in. But thats just me. I know people who park 50 yards away and kill as many deer and as big of deer as I do.

Personally, I still think the bigger bucks dont like them and I try to hunt as far from the ATV on our properties as I can.

Last edited:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I used to hunt on a cattle farm with a guy who’s theory was that the deer on that farm thought his ATV was a cow.

He said if he walked in he seldom saw a deer while going to the stands. But when he drove the ATV he could drive within 20 ft of deer.

JohnK

Bad knees, bad back made me either ride the atv to the tree or quit hunting so I started putting my climber on the back and riding right to a tree. I see as many deer as ever and I don't shoot does or small bucks, too much trouble, But I see between 3 and 10 deer most days, I guess if I shot them up I might not see as many. They see the atv and kind of back up, circle around it and keep on browsing thru the woods. About the most they do is hop off 15 yards and start walking again. The best thing is I'm flexible. I've got a dozen trees, maybe more, that I can go to any given morning so none of it is over hunted. I often ride down head high briars for a hundred or more yards and climb. That's tough if you're walking. You ride them down a couple of times and the deer start using it as a trail...sometimes I ride a path down out about 50 yards and and they start using that too. The atv is within 10 yards of the tree, maybe up in a bush and I'm 18-22 ft' up a tree..man, I wasted a lot of years hauling stands on my back.,