How do you determine wine type?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
This is the recipe I use, it’s for one gallon. I generally make 4-6 gallons of each flavor.

Attachments

• E4399BA4-6887-4B45-92C2-56FF16353241.png
    E4399BA4-6887-4B45-92C2-56FF16353241.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

gunnurse

I am about to uncork a blackberry wine that has been sitting for four years. Oh boy!!

fireman32

The pear just had its first racking. In a couple of weeks or so it will turn a light red.

Attachments

• 5DE01421-58C2-46B0-9443-427E92A17EC5.png
    5DE01421-58C2-46B0-9443-427E92A17EC5.png
    1 MB · Views: 15

HuntNC

any update? i've made some scuppernong and muscadine this year... 10 gallons of each... on to the bulk aging at this point as they have been dry for weeks... and already backsweetened. wanting to make pear next year

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Y'all should give mead a try. Honey, water, yeast, and if you want, spices or fruit for some added flavor. You can buy mead yeast for either dry or sweet. I used to use champagne yeast, but found I got more predictable results with the mead yeast. It'll get up to about 13-14% alcohol.

After it's been in the bottle for a few years (what I have now is 4 years old), it is something special.

fireman32

Just racked all three wines yesterday. The blackberry is mellowing out just fine and promises to be the sweetest of the three. The plum started with the highest alcohol taste and smell of the group, it is also becoming more tolerable. It does seem to be taking longer than the rest to tone down to an actual fruit flavor. It also appears to be a dry wine with a bit of the tart flavor of a not completely ripe plum.
The pear which was started roughly a month after the other two has the best flavor as of now. Hoping they’ll be close to ready to bottle by Christmas, but I may be being impatient.
This pic is of the pear, if you look close you can still see bits of fruit floating around, hopefully the next racking will have them all clear.

Attachments

• F5855BC3-2EBD-470F-BEF9-1FFC4EA2D1F8.png
    F5855BC3-2EBD-470F-BEF9-1FFC4EA2D1F8.png
    949.5 KB · Views: 9

fireman32

Got it bottled, gonna wait awhile to try it.

Attachments

• 2F88F384-700C-4D82-AD93-AE041D425994.png
    2F88F384-700C-4D82-AD93-AE041D425994.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

BriarPatch99

Looks good to me ... I didn't make any this year ....we did pay a visit to Huber Winery in Ky Monday and picked up some good sweet red .. they make some BlackBerry also ...but it ain't like what I make...

GeorgiaBob

The French, and most Italians, name their wines from the type of grape (usually named from the area a specific grape is first developed) OR from the region (if the wine is either a combination of grapes from an area, or is the principle grape of the region). Note that some regions, like the Champagne Province of France or Chianti region of Tuscany Province, Italy, are actually named AFTER the grape developed there! Germans are inventive (Liebfraumilch, means Beloved Lady's milk), English boring. In California, most wines are named after the grape vines they imported even though the wine tastes very different than the European original.

If you are NOT using a specific type of French or Italian grape there is no reason to accept snobby French naming practice! Call it what you want to call it. My Dad tried wine making after he retired. Some of it was OK, some - - not so much. One of his best he named, "Uh-Oh." He had fancy labels and lead seals over the corks. Mom liked a wine Dad made from fresh picked blueberries, that turned out to be very dark and sweet - that label was, "Mom's Passion."

Have fun, enjoy!