How do you store your rods?

Tight Lines

This is kinda closer to what I was envisioning, but I don’t have as many rods as you do so I am gonna first gonna try the “D Fly” suggestion. I will post it when I complete
I like that idea. The issue for me would be that the tubes are all different diameters. There isn't a standard, and depending on the vintage and # of pieces, it's a different diameter than others...I also have some cases with rod and reel that won't fit in them...but I really like that idea!

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I like that idea. The issue for me would be that the tubes are all different diameters. There isn't a standard, and depending on the vintage and # of pieces, it's a different diameter than others...I also have some cases with rod and reel that won't fit in them...but I really like that idea!
Yea I see that, my rod/reels are all in the travel tubes that have the pouch for the reels. Those tubes are all about the same diameter. So I think that will work for me. I do have a couple exceptions that I keep in my truck…

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
Here's where and how I store mine, in the travel cases. The old vintage flyrod is in the stand up rack. I don't use it anymore.

View attachment 1247192
Why don't you use your vintage outfit? I use lots of my vintage antique fly rods. I have an 11wt Hardy Split Bamboo I have tried to use for Tarpon, the problem with it is that it is a rather "slow" rod and I can not cast large Tarpon flies with any wind, but I carry it and will run into the right circumstances one day and hopefully catch a Tarpon on it. One of my favorite small stream trout rods is an old English made split bamboo rod with an old "made by Hardy" Orvis Reel.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Why don't you use your vintage outfit? I use lots of my vintage antique fly rods. I have an 11wt Hardy Split Bamboo I have tried to use for Tarpon, the problem with it is that it is a rather "slow" rod and I can not cast large Tarpon flies with any wind, but I carry it and will run into the right circumstances one day and hopefully catch a Tarpon on it. One of my favorite small stream trout rods is an old English made split bamboo rod with an old "made by Hardy" Orvis Reel.

I don't have a suitable reel to go on it. It would need to be an old Classic.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
So this is not a final solution for me. I did buy three of the eBay rod holders 4x4 and installed them.3924729C-BBE1-44A0-A3CA-73B859BFDA29.jpegThis is a great way to save space if you have a wall big enough.

So the product is very well built. It it quality. Easy to install and securely holds the rod cases.

I think that I should have bought the 2x2 models because the cases I prefer are cases that also hold the reel. As you can see the cases are cramped on the wall. I wish they made a 3x3 that is the same height (or a bit taller); this would be perfect. As it is, I ordered some 2x2 models and will see how they work with my preferred cases.

You could also place the brackets closer to each other and allow for more left and right staggering. Not sure how that wood affect the security, but like I said earlier the brackets are very strong.

I will keep experimenting and post what I find.

Djangofly

Just FYI, they do have a 3X3 as that is what I have (unless the discontinued, but I am pretty sure he 3d prints to order). Glad you were able to get them set up - looks great!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
So this is not a final solution for me. I did buy three of the eBay rod holders 4x4 and installed them.View attachment 1248586This is a great way to save space if you have a wall big enough.

So the product is very well built. It it quality. Easy to install and securely holds the rod cases.

I think that I should have bought the 2x2 models because the cases I prefer are cases that also hold the reel. As you can see the cases are cramped on the wall. I wish they made a 3x3 that is the same height (or a bit taller); this would be perfect. As it is, I ordered some 2x2 models and will see how they work with my preferred cases.

You could also place the brackets closer to each other and allow for more left and right staggering. Not sure how that wood affect the security, but like I said earlier the brackets are very strong.

Which Redington Classic Trout do you have? My 8.5 3 wt is my favorite dry fly rod I have ever owned.

Tight Lines

So this is not a final solution for me. I did buy three of the eBay rod holders 4x4 and installed them.View attachment 1248586This is a great way to save space if you have a wall big enough.

Looks good...I may check that out if I move where mine are stored...

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Just FYI, they do have a 3X3 as that is what I have (unless the discontinued, but I am pretty sure he 3d prints to order). Glad you were able to get them set up - looks great!
I didn’t see it - the 3x3 they might have had them but I could have missed it. But thanks. I got a confirmation from eBay on Friday that said my 2x2s (2) are on the way. Like I said I will keep it posted

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
Which Redington Classic Trout do you have? My 8.5 3 wt is my favorite dry fly rod I have ever owned.
Mine is a bit shorter but still a three. It has never caught a trout but has caught bushels of bream and small red eyes, and even a few tiny large mouth off poppers2D890FA6-84D7-4E00-9960-BC09EA156D6A.jpegOne of my favorite rods.

I sent my broken Redington back for repair and they said the couldn’t repair it but would give me a credit and a discount. I think the nice lady made a mistake and gave me a huge credit and I ended up getting two rods when I added a little bit of cash. I got another six weight to replace the broken one and this one, which was kinda an afterthought, but boy I glad I got it - so much fun. I love it wet wading in small streams

Tight Lines

You have excellent taste in flyrods. Especially the green ones!
My Dad is a man of few words. When I got engaged, his sole marital advice was "...son, buy all the fly rods and shotguns you want before next June."

I haven't bought a rod in quite a while...most of those are from '96-'02 with a few here and there after...

I fish mostly with my Sage, but I do love the Winstons and am a new fan of the Douglas. The Scott is a great 8 wt. and as good as my 8 wt. RPLXi. I have another Scott that came from TU that I've never had out of the tube...

The spinning travel rods are Penn (they don't make them any more) and a St. Croix...they've been all over...

I want an Orvis Superfine but I have 2 colleges to pay for...

Someday...

Last edited:

TurkeyH90

My Dad is a man of few words. When I got engaged, his sole marital advice was "...son, buy all the fly rods and shotguns you want before next June."

I haven't bought a rod in quite a while...most of those are from '96-'02 with a few here and there after...

I fish mostly with my Sage, but I do love the Winstons and am a new fan of the Douglas. The Scott is a great 8 wt. and as good as my 8 wt. RPLXi. I have another Scott that came from TU that I've never had out of the tube...

The spinning travel rods are Penn (they don't make them any more) and a St. Croix...they've been all over...

I want an Orvis Superfine but I have 2 colleges to pay for...

Someday...
That was about the way it went for me as well. I have several Sage and Orvis as well but something about the Winston's makes them my favorite. I have 3 B2xs and a BMX and an old IM6. I bought one of my son's an Orvis Superfine at his birth and I am fond of it as well

Tight Lines

That was about the way it went for me as well. I have several Sage and Orvis as well but something about the Winston's makes them my favorite. I have 3 B2xs and a BMX and an old IM6. I bought one of my son's an Orvis Superfine at his birth and I am fond of it as well
I've only ever sold one rod, my first Orvis. It was the starter rod, I think they called it a "silver label" and it was a 9' 5 wt. but a 2-piece. Fine when I lived in Denver but when I started flying to destinations and backpacking it was was too long in the tube...so I sold it. After that, I have every rod I ever bought...a couple have been repaired due to my own idiocy...