How long is a cooked boston butt good for?

SarahFair

I cooked a boston butt Friday night into Saturday morning, covered it in tinfoil and put it in the fridge in hopes to make Brunswick stew with it that night, well that didn't happen, so I was going to make it tonight...
Well circumstances didn't allow that either :cautious:

How much longer do I have to turn this piece of meat into stew, then how long is that stew good for?

Swamprat

Swamprat
About 5 days for the butt then if you add it to something else after that time then to me a day or so.

You can freeze the leftover butt and add as you need but have never seen a piece of meat cooked and put in the fridge be edible to me after 5 days.

Meat is cheaper than 2 days of hurling.

Tight Lines

A smoked butt should be good for a week or so in the fridge...we vacuum pack leftover butt and use it later for stew, soup, sandwiches...a week or more in the fridge has never been an issue for smoked meats...brisket, ribs, butts. 6 months frozen or more...

little rascal

I do it all the time, pork might be in the fridge 2 weeks, pull it out, make stew, eat some stew, fridge it for another week and if enough leftover freeze for next bbq.

SarahFair

A smoked butt should be good for a week or so in the fridge...we vacuum pack leftover butt and use it later for stew, soup, sandwiches...a week or more in the fridge has never been an issue for smoked meats...brisket, ribs, butts. 6 months frozen or more...
This one is not smoked, I did it in the crock pot :biggrin2:
I do it all the time, pork might be in the fridge 2 weeks, pull it out, make stew, eat some stew, fridge it for another week and if enough leftover freeze for next bbq.
You are plain crazy

This one is not smoked, I did it in the crock pot :biggrin2:

You are plain crazy
Crock Pot? I would have thrown it away on day 1... :bounce:

5 days is a general rule for me as well. Couple days in a stew and then froze for leftover stew later.105E33A1-5566-4F96-9E18-FDF4E7926FC1.jpeg

Dr. Strangelove

I'm a five day max man myself, eat it, freeze it or throw it away at the 5 day mark.

Specifically pork butts I pull, separate into one poundish packs, vacuum seal and freeze for later use.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
From the smoker about 5-6 days. After the initial cook we have tossed it into bean dishes and regularly make pork carnitas with left overs.

seachaser

I just ate one from a crockpot and it’s amazing every time. Once it’s done I pull it apart then add more rub then put under broiler to crisp it up super moist and delicious.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I just ate one from a crockpot and it’s amazing every time. Once it’s done I pull it apart then add more rub then put under broiler to crisp it up super moist and delicious.

Mrs. elfiii does hers in the oven. It's melt in your mouth delicious.

K80Shooter

The plus for me also is not the heartburn I get when I eat smoked things.

Don't use Bad Byron's rub, that stuff is bad for heartburn.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You should be very good for a week. I smoke two or three at a time, pull them, and vac-seal and freeze them. They're good for years then.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I've been known to just cover supper on the stove and eat on it the next day for breakfast and dinner without putting it up if there's not a lot left over. That's how our ancestors done it.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
If it's vac-sealed in the freezer, it's still good for a couple more years. :)
This gave me a chuckle. My grandfather that was almost 90 passed away in 2021. He lived mostly off the grid in north ga in a trailer until he died. Had been drawing a pension, diability from the military and SS for many years. Always had wads of cash. Just a simple man if I ever knew one.

Anyways, we were cleaning out his trailer to be demolished nad found guns everywhere. I mean everywhere. We also found a 'wolf' (I think it was a Coyote) from a 1978 (have the pic somewhere with him and it on the tailgate in Montana) in his 1970's deep freezer. I kid you not.

He was going to mount that sucker one day! :rofl::rofl: