How Much is Upland Hunting Worth to You?

george hancox

another great outfit is the ruff grouse society.I have been a mmber for a lot of years and our problems still go back to habitat management.If you are interested in upland game and ga. it is a great outfit.

Dixiegrouse

I believe we all would support some kind of stamp for upland hunting.The problem lies with not trusting you legislative body to
do the right thing with the money.We are all passionate about our sport and way of life to pursue a wild bird be it quail or grouse or woodcock.I don't see a clear future for my son or any boys to enjoy any resmblance of what a lot of us took for granted in our youth.

SeanandBrice

As a disclaimer, I'm by no means familiar with all the politics involved with either the government or private organizations in the thread. I would buy one if implemented in hopes that it would support the intended purpose, but I believe it would become another political cookie jar in our current political system. I think we're in an entirely different political atmosphere than the 1930's. Now, the wording of the federal bills rarely match the title of the proposed bill. They name a bill something like "The Save Babies From Terrible Child Eating Cannibles Bill" and in reality it turns out to be more government control of transportation or some garbage like that. In other words, I don't trust the fed with this. I think the Upland Bird Stamp would be hi-jacked and made into a special interest funding tax. I think I would rather join a single private statewide organization to educate, lobby, and support the cause in Georgia. I guess I could have just simply quoted and said "x2" on most of the posts on here.

birddog52

Banned
I would too but knowing the goverment it would be like Georgia hunting license monies it would go into the general fund and spent something other than wildlife habiat.

maker4life

No way I'd want to buy one on the federal level . State maybe .

I think it would be a great idea to have a federal upland bird stamp. I think it should be mandatory to hunt upland game just like it is required to hunt waterfowl. I also think every state should have a upland bird stamp to hunt birds an all the funds from the stamp should be used exclusively to benefit upland birds.

pine nut

I think it would be a great idea to have a federal upland bird stamp. I think it should be mandatory to hunt upland game just like it is required to hunt waterfowl. I also think every state should have a upland bird stamp to hunt birds an all the funds from the stamp should be used exclusively to benefit upland birds.

Today's politicians would promise you anything to get your money, but once they have it, they will find a need "more pressing" and spend it for what they dadgum well please. The same thing was done with social security funds and Pittman Robertson funds. It is the nature of the beast!When have they not done it? That is the problem when the government get a life of its own, buying votes to stay in office, or lining their own pockets. Honesty and integrity seem to be dead anymore...as always present company excepted!

Peter D

No Fed; State ONLY

I've long thought about this Setter Jax.

What we need is a state of Georgia 'Bobwhite Quail Conservation License.' It needs to be quail specific since it seems woodcock populations are good here and the kind of management that ruffed grouse need, the state of Georgia isn't allowed to perform.

The GA waterfowl conservation license is $5.50 and needed by anyone hunting waterfowl. We need the quail conservation license (for ANYONE hunting quail on any land, public or private) at the same price. I'll buy it if it means the money is strictly for quail mangement on public lands (state forests, WMAs, etc). I have no idea why we haven't had this for at least the last 15 years.

Now, I'm sure there are some people who own private land who would feel like they're giving their money away for one more state fee if the funds generated don't directly benefit them. The way I see it, there are many private land programs currently in effect that not only improve quail habitat on a person's land, but actually pay the land owner for doing so. And frankly, we all know that the owners of historic plantations can afford it, so what exactly is the problem. Afterall, isn't this about the birds, wherever they are, public or private? Wouldn't a private landowner who hunts quail want to see and hear quail on public lands that he hasn't heard or seen them on since boyhood? I don't think that $5.50 is too much to ask to give to a bird who gives us something so special and rare.

It seems that because there is so much land in the Red Hills and other plantation neighborhoods that are under amazingly intense quail management, that the WRD is content to sit around and do an absolute minimum (and some years in certain places nothing at all) amount of quail management on public land. They know that the private plantations will never be without quail and therefore the state of Georgia will never be without quail or have such low numbers statewide that it demands quail be listed as a protected species. Everyone complains about the same things right? Low bird numbers, not enough habitat, lack of consistent and proper mangement--and the answer is always the same--"not enough money."

Now, will $5.50 from every quail hunter in the state each year be enough to turn larger parts of our public lands into the plantations of the Red Hills? I'd say not, but boy it would be alot better than not having it at all. I just worry that one day all licenses might become species specific and also be much more expensive than they used to be. You let the revenuer's foot in the door, or rather, his hand in your pocket, and watch out.

To reiterate what I said above, it seems too that the powers that be also feel that private land wild quail numbers are enough when talking of quail numbers in this state. Probably because the ones that hunt are all members (I'm talking the men and women who work in the capital building; the lawmakers) of private plantations. If you're at Wildfair or Abigail or Gillionville for opening day, and you're seeing 9 coveys an hour, what do you care if public land that once held nearly as many wild coveys as you have in front of you, doesn't hold any birds anymore? You probably don't care on a personal level and will only pay it lip service when it's convenient.

Gentlemen, this needs to happen, we need to make it happen. It is time.

Last edited:

Setter Jax

Peter,

Totally agree with your post. It has been successful with the water fowl, wild Turkey, and Whitetail deer programs. Private organizations like Quail forever and Quail Unlimited are doing a good job, but not just enough. I also agree that the money should be at the State level and not National level. Any time you get the Feds involved you are going to loose money on overhead and accountability.

Hunting used to be the working mans sport. Now the only good hunting is for the wealthy and rich. I live close to the GA line and enjoy hunting in GA and FL. But the cost of an out of state license is ridicules. Now if I want to hunt in GA I just buy the three day pass.

Peter D

Yep, I agree that any game conservation organization is beneficial to wildlife, and I'm thankful for them, that goes without saying. I also know, that I would feel wonderful if I knew that our state WRD had money from the quail hunters to throw around places throughout the state for all quail hunters. Equiping them with at least some funds to do 1-2 year burns, plant and manage 'brood plots,' escape and loafing cover, thin pine forests to allow 40-60% sunlight on the ground, some nest predator control, etc. They're biologists, they know what has to be done (certainly better than I do). I've been to a handful of spots that if burned annually would be fantastic quail habitat. Not enough money.

So let's give it to them and see some results. I worry about the reason why they haven't implemented this already. I'm sure getting something like this done is never as easy as it seems. I don't know what else to do except to write to the commissioner with the idea (I'm sure he's heard it or thought about it before), outlining what we would like it used for, how much it should be, making sure the money stays on public lands or at least the overwhelming majority of funds stay on public lands, and also for research (covey calling surveys, brood counts and survival rates, nest counts, nest monitoring, etc).

Whatever needs to be done to improve quail habitat and numbers on state land in Georgia.

Now that I sit and think more about it, there are some problems to think of with this. How many public land quail hunters will refuse to pay yet another license fee, no matter what the price? Will this generate enough money to be able to do any kind of improvement to quail habitat or are we just pi$$ing in the wind? Is the money only going to be used in places in south Georgia where the majority of habiat is? Or throughout the upper coastal plain and into middle GA where habitat is also beneficial. There are some great places in middle GA that could use even casual habitat management. I can't help but think no matter what the impact on bird numbers turns out to be--big, medium or small, I reckon it's better than no improvement or a continued drop in bird numbers on public lands.

Supercracker

I don't remember where it was but I remember reading about a restoration program that paid farmers to leave/plant a 20' buffer of habitat around the perimeter of their fields.

Perhaps something as simple as that wouldn't be too difficult.

maker4life

I don't remember where it was but I remember reading about a restoration program that paid farmers to leave/plant a 20' buffer of habitat around the perimeter of their fields.

Perhaps something as simple as that wouldn't be too difficult.

That's CP33 habitat buffers , part of the CRP . I also think the BQI helps with those but they're limtited to the fifteen counties in the BQI program .

Sam H

That's CP33 habitat buffers , part of the CRP . I also think the BQI helps with those but they're limtited to the fifteen counties in the BQI program .

Probably because it's so simple and beneficial the government couldn't get thier minds wrapped around it...or find some way to get thier fingers in it!