how much kick

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Not that much. It's more of a push than a kick. It's not like a centerfire rifle at all.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Mines kick about like a 30-30....I use 100gr with a 250 sabot in my .50 and 90grs with a 225gr sabot in my .45. But its not really a kick more like a hard push.

jkdodge

My wife hunts with a CVA 50 cal with a 100 grains of powder and a 230 sabot. Its not bad at all

miles58

Banned yankee
I am a terrible judge of recoil. My 30-30 seems to kick more than my 300 Win Mag and noe of my other guns seem to kick at all. That said though I would liken the Muzzle loaders to trap loads in a 12 with a good recoil pad. 250 grains at 1800 FPS couldn't be too far different than 450 at 1200.

Dave

LanceColeman

My wife wieghs in at 108#s and stands a whopping 5'3" tall. She shoots a traditions pursuit loaded with 100grs of clean shot and a 250gr TC shockwave. She doesn't complain when sighting it in and practicing and of course she says it doesn't kick at all when she's shooting deer with it. Says it's a little more than her 7-08 but her 7-08 is about as mild a recoil rifle this side of 243 you'll find.

My encore pro hunter is set up with the same loads and wieghs a good bit more in hand than the pursuit does. Again not much kick at all.

Now I put 80-grs of 3F in my Lyman 54 with roundballs. It has one of those traditional metal buttplates with the curve in it. It kills at both ends.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
My percussion plains rifle, and Gabriel, don`t hardly kick at all. Just a little push. Both have been shot by young folks, TV reporters, Ladies, and they have all been surprised at how well they shoot.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My percussion Hawken with the curved metal buttplate kicks like a mule with 90 grains and a 350 grain conical. You don't notice it at all the first couple shots, but after a half-dozen or so, it starts to hurt. My .54 flintlock shooting 75-80 grains and a PRB has almost no kick.

tony2001577

I have a winchester .45 and use 100g powder .
it kicks about like a .410 shotgun. hardly any kick .
my wife and 10 year old son shoot it with no problems .

LanceColeman

Hillbilly,

You shootin 2F or 3F?? Because my lyman wieghs a ton and is 54 cal. And it's like your Hawken, curved metal buttplate. OK the first few. by shot number 3 yer feeling it. by number 12 yer dreading squeezing the trigger!

I shoot 80grs of 3F and a PRB because Lyman book says 3F is OK and thats what I shoot in my smaller caliber flinter. My bud shoots a leeman trade in 54 flinter. same roundball and 90grs of 2F. she bites ya. but not as bad as my GP.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
My m/l has very little kick until I decide to go magnum load.150 gr of Pyrodex. Then it will get all up on you!:eek:

TJay

The load you mentioned shouldn't kick too bad. Now if you load that same .50 cal with 110 grains of BH209 and a No Excuses 465 grain conical....that load generates recoil.:shoot:

quigleysharps4570

How much kick does MUZZLE LOADER HAVE??

100gr powder

250 g slug??

The in-lines have a different style stock and recoil pads or rubber butt plates and with your load it'll be fine. A traditional rifle with the curved metal butt plate...them can bite ya as some have mentioned.

THWACKG5

I have a CVA Kodiac magnium, .50 cal, I use 150 grains of propellent. Although it has a nice soft rubber recoil pad it still packs a nice punch! I do agree with the other posts its not as sharp as a recoil as my .270, but more of a heafty push.............it aint no .22 !!!! haha

olhippie

....I've never noticed the recoil of my muzzle loader 50 cal. It can't be as much as a centerfire rifle which I have noted at times.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hillbilly,

You shootin 2F or 3F?? Because my lyman wieghs a ton and is 54 cal. And it's like your Hawken, curved metal buttplate. OK the first few. by shot number 3 yer feeling it. by number 12 yer dreading squeezing the trigger!

I shoot 80grs of 3F and a PRB because Lyman book says 3F is OK and thats what I shoot in my smaller caliber flinter. My bud shoots a leeman trade in 54 flinter. same roundball and 90grs of 2F. she bites ya. but not as bad as my GP.

I shoot 2F. My flinter is an old late '60's (I think) .54 CVA Mountain Rifle, very similar to the Lyman. I don't notice near as much kick from it as the .50 Hawken, but the Hawken doesn't kick near as bad with a round ball as it does with that big conical chunk of lead.

Bernard goldsmith

The curved butt plate is designed to be shot on the arm not on the shoulder!! Put the toe of the stock in your arm pit. Lower your powder charge to keep the recoil down. Better accuracy and less recoil.

Last edited: