How much to tip for cutting hair?

bulldawgborn

I paid for my first haircut ever about 3 years ago. I tip $4 on a $16 cut.

My (grand)Pa cut hair for close to 50 years in the small town where I grew up. I bet if I had numbers to do the math, his tips would have been <1% of his gross.

Seems to me that tipping barbers is more of a modern idea or a citified idea that is slowly spreading to the country.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Nothing. They get $15 for about 15 minutes work. That is pretty good.

Most hair stylist work on commission, some are booth rent. They had to pay to go to school, then they have to put up with guys like you.

My wife is a master Cosmatologist (sp) and has been for close to 30 yrs. She goes to classes/schools 2-3 times a year. Hard work, on your feet all day with your arms above your shoulders most of the time. I can assure you she makes WAY more than 25k a year.

She's been on commission, booth rent and a owner, the owner makes the $$$ ...

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
Most hair stylist work on commission, some are booth rent. They had to pay to go to school, then they have to put up with guys like you.

My wife is a master Cosmatologist (sp) and has been for close to 30 yrs. She goes to classes/schools 2-3 times a year. Hard work, on your feet all day with your arms above your shoulders most of the time. I can assure you she makes WAY more than 25k a year.

She's been on commission, booth rent and a owner, the owner makes the $$$ ...
^^^^

What he said. You could let "just anyone" cut your hair, but if you want it done right, regardless of how simplistic you think the process is, it takes training and education.

That cost money last time I looked.

My base cut is $11, I let them trim up the beard n such and that adds about $4 to it and rounds it up to $15 and I tip an additional $5 for an even $20 hair cut.

If I were letting Quacks wife do it. I would tip her $40 for a $10 hair cut. :biggrin2:

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I have been going to the same woman for 20 years. seen her kids grow up.Vacations,etc.... I pay her $25 every 6-8 weeks. She earns her money.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
^^^^

What he said. You could let "just anyone" cut your hair, but if you want it done right, regardless of how simplistic you think the process is, it takes training and education.

That cost money last time I looked.

My base cut is $11, I let them trim up the beard n such and that adds about $4 to it and rounds it up to $15 and I tip an additional $5 for an even $20 hair cut.

If I were letting Quacks wife do it. I would tip her $40 for a $10 hair cut. :biggrin2:

Dawn has a long time customer that drives down from 'Lanter and throws down a $100 bill. Asked what all she did for that $100, said that was 'tween her and him . . facepalm:

Darien1

I tip $5 on an $11 cut, but he does it the way I want it every time. I also tip waitresses and waiters well for good service. I've also been known to call the manager over and tell him/her that I had great service if that is the case.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
This is the on topic forum. Please confine your responses to the question asked in the original post.