How to get wine bottle labels off?

Nastytater

Banned
Heat gun or hot hair dryer. Just dont burn the paper and it'll peel right off. Less than 2 minutes.

biggsteve

Gone But Not Forgotten
we sell alot on ebay. i get free boxes from stores, but with glued labels.

i use a heat gun, like the guys use on vinyl car roofs.

the glue melts. off comes the label. paper or glass, no matter....

bnew17

The wd 40 method worked on some of the bottles, not all. They worked on the bottles with a gummy sticky adhesive. On the bottles with a very dry adhesive. wouldnt touch that. I will try soaking in water with ammonia next and using the heat gun.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Maybe try soaking in a 5-10% bleach solution. Bleach is a good wetting agent and may help in penetrating the glue.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Soak in hot water overnight. Add some dish washing soap.

I do this for paper labels. If they are plastic then scrape of with a razor. You can usually use a soapy scrub brush and hot water to scrub off the glue residue (if it has been soaking in hot soapy water). If the brush doesn't work rubbing alcohol will, using a sponge with the scrub pad on one side.

NOYDB

BANNED
Rubber cement thinner.

Most glues used with paper labels, price labels, bumper stickers, any label used in a printer etc are rubber cement based.

Art stores such as Blick's carry it.

As per above any label with a smooth, slick facing may need to be peeled first so the solvent can penetrate to the glue.

FurFeathers&Scales

peel the label off and soak 'em in hot water/room temp water... leave them in there for a day or two if you have to. My wife has been doing this for years and this is the best way. Every time we mess with chemicals we can't get it off the glass without more steps involved! good luck!

ChiefOsceola

Seems like when my beer bottles sit in ice water for too long the label floats right off, clean as a whistle. :huh: I'm wondering if ice water has a better effect on the adhesive than the logical choice of hot water???:huh:

Yep. :cheers: Put them in a cooler with ice and let them ride around the bed of the truck for a few days. Like Miguel said, those labels will be floatin at the top.