Hunt The Wind?

Hunting Teacher

Bryan T alluded to this in another post earlier and I wanted to get some other opinions too.
On all the hunting shows and most deer hunting magazines constantly reinforce the notion of hunting the wind to not alert deer.
Where I hunt, I see deer come from different directions almost every time I hunt a stand. They follow no set pattern. One time four deer may feed in from the east, the next time two may pass by from the south, sometimes on the same stand deer may pass one way then the other in less than two hours apart. Often I have deer feed in circles around me if I'm hunting in a bottom. On top of that, the wind is constantly swirling around. There is no possible way to hunt the wind.
Do you try to hunt the wind? If so where do you hunt in Georgia that you can?
Also, how about the notion of getting to your stand without scaring any deer or going near where deer may be feeding, bedding, walking etc. That is absolutely impossible on our property unless you stand on highway 46 out in front of our land and wait for one to cross the road.
Maybe it works up north or in the midwest, but I honestly don't see how it's possible in the pines and bottoms of Georgia.
Teach

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I am with you on this one teach! I go to most of my stands through the path of least resistance so that I won't alert the deer by stomping through briars and scrub oaks. Deer don't really seem to follow a certain trail or pattern in the pines I hunt. For example, in one stand I hunt, the deer were moving east to west on the south side of the stand early in the season. The last couple of times I have been in the stand, the deer were moving west to east on the north side of the stand. Last year the majority of movement was north to south looking west from the stand. ::huh: The deer in the pines where I hunt have no real set trails; they just sort of meander through the pines as they browse for food and make their way to the fields that surround the pines.

However, I do pay close attention to the wind when I plan to hunt OTG, especially when I am setting up to call one in by grunting and rubbing trees. :)