I’d like to make jerky, now what? UPDATED W/Batch #3!

High road

Yall need to try this simple recipe my Dad uses he took Dale steak marinade, coke and alittle brown sugar all mixed up. He marinates for a least 8 hrs or more depending on how thick his cuts were. After dehydrating he hits it with garlic salt, a touch of Tony's Cajun seosoning and red pepper flakes while it is still warm, puts it in a big bag and shakes it up.. You can use what ever seasoning you like but this is our favorite.
He gives it away at Christmas and everyone can't wait to get a hold of it.

Mackie889

Ok, so second batch was waaaaaay better using the Hi Mountain mix, but a little on the extreme opposite end. I was skeered and it seemed like a lot of seasoning so I didn’t quite put it all on. I also took it at an hour 5, but then another 20 minutes. When done it was a little soft and bland since I never added more seasoning. It was still delicious and soft and we are gonna get this right! This third Batch is the hunters blend which is a little spicier but I’ll still add some black pepper right before it goes in! Can’t wait to try this…….I see eating a lot more jerky here in the near future’
Thanks for the great thread! You inspired me to buy a jerky caulk gun thing and make my first batch of jerky. So, I used the high mountain seasoning and cure and it is currently sitting in the fridge overnight. I don't have a dehydrator, so will be using the oven. What temp should I set the oven for and what length of time should it stay in there? Did you gap the door so humidity could escape? Thanks again for the inspiration!

sprewett

@bfriendly So academy and Cabela's both have premade seasoning with the cure and a ratio for the amount of meat on the back if your doing grind. I like Mountain house (I think that is the name of it) 6.99 will do 5 lbs of meat. I turn the oven on to 200 crack the door and cook it for about 1:30 to 1:45.
To roll out the meat I don't have a jerky gun. I put the mixed meat ( I use my kitchen aide mixer) on a piece of parchment paper and then place another on top of it. I use a a large metal cup to roll it out to about 1/8 inch thick. I then cut it with a knife in strips place it on the racks. Make sure even with no fat deer meat to put a drip tray under it.

buckmanmike

One other suggestion. Be sure to spray cooking oil on the trays before shooting the meat. Also trays with a smaller gaps in them works better.
Yours looks good.

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have never done jerky but it's good stuff. I would try to make but I got no deer meat. facepalm:

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I have never done jerky but it's good stuff. I would try to make but I got no deer meat. facepalm:
I think I have a 1 lb pack left…..still hunting!

Thanks ... my jerky turned out perfect at 200 degrees for 105 minutes (w/ the oven door slightly open). Got more seasoning flavors coming and can't wait to try those!View attachment 1199298
Woohoo! Hot digady! And a big fat YASSS! Just made my day!!

@bfriendly So academy and Cabela's both have premade seasoning with the cure and a ratio for the amount of meat on the back if your doing grind. I like Mountain house (I think that is the name of it) 6.99 will do 5 lbs of meat. I turn the oven on to 200 crack the door and cook it for about 1:30 to 1:45.
To roll out the meat I don't have a jerky gun. I put the mixed meat ( I use my kitchen aide mixer) on a piece of parchment paper and then place another on top of it. I use a a large metal cup to roll it out to about 1/8 inch thick. I then cut it with a knife in strips place it on the racks. Make sure even with no fat deer meat to put a drip tray under it.
That’s perfect too! I was looking at a rolling pin with raised ends for just that.

This has sure been a blast!

Dupree

I bought a 12 tray dehydrator back in the summer. Made a batch of ground jerky with a gun and was not a fan. Since deer season started, I have made over 30 pounds of muscle jerky (raw weight). I got a meat slicer from Santa Claus and sliced up 11 pounds of meat on Friday, and dehydrated it on Saturday afternoon. I like having the same consistency in thickness with the slicer, and you can also make bigger pieces. 40C54EB2-571D-46A4-8CAE-351B626DA7B4.jpeg

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I bought a 12 tray dehydrator back in the summer. Made a batch of ground jerky with a gun and was not a fan. Since deer season started, I have made over 30 pounds of muscle jerky (raw weight). I got a meat slicer from Santa Claus and sliced up 11 pounds of meat on Friday, and dehydrated it on Saturday afternoon. I like having the same consistency in thickness with the slicer, and you can also make bigger pieces. View attachment 1200240
Wow Dupree! That looks amazing! I ruined my batch of slices and am still feeling the pain from the loss of such great cuts! I’ve got a slicer (on loan) and I plan on doing the same thing if I can get another deer! I prefer tender jerky so the grind is great for me. But I can’t help loving the way that No Man’s Land type of jerky eats and the Way the flavor last forever.

Latest posts