I dont need to look at this forum

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Dr. put me on a strict low sodium diet. When I look at all the fine food you guys are cooking, it drives me batty. I have found nothing that is super low in sodium that is worth eating. So I will just look and drool.

MOTS

Moonpie cooks heart healthy, maybe you should consult with him. lol

Dub

Many homemade rub recipes are salt-free......as they assume you'll salt yer meat the night prior.

Meathead's rub are great examples.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Dr. put me on a strict low sodium diet. When I look at all the fine food you guys are cooking, it drives me batty. I have found nothing that is super low in sodium that is worth eating. So I will just look and drool.

In 2008 my doctors put me a a 300 milligram per day maximum salt diet. Until then I never realized how much salt was used and was already in nearly everything. Only the fact that I already grew most of my own vegetables and made a lot of my own meat helped me. Before I was put on that diet, I used salt heavy, real heavy. I had to quit cigarettes at the same time and I miss salt more than tobacco, to this day. There are plenty of various spices that help, but I still crave salt bad.

If I can be of help, Charlie, feel free to holler.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
In 2008 my doctors put me a a 300 milligram per day maximum salt diet. Until then I never realized how much salt was used and was already in nearly everything. Only the fact that I already grew most of my own vegetables and made a lot of my own meat helped me. Before I was put on that diet, I used salt heavy, real heavy. I had to quit cigarettes at the same time and I miss salt more than tobacco, to this day. There are plenty of various spices that help, but I still crave salt bad.

Thanks Nic. I never realized just how much I craved salt until I went on this diet. I mean I can not eat a cucumber without some salt on it. Look like somebody would have come up with a No sodium Salt substitute that actually tasted like salt. Don't know what I am gonna do come boiled peanut time.

MOTS

I had a stent installed in Feb. and was put on a 2000mg daily diet. There's alot of salt subs like accent, no salt, etc. I found that Morton's Lite salt was the best, 50% less sodium.

MOTS

That is a very tough diet! I guess you splurge with your chili? I find myself reading the labels on everything now.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
That is a very tough diet! I guess you splurge with your chili? I find myself reading the labels on everything now.

Yessir, I do. They just got to be a little salt for some stuff to be fit to eat. :D

Dub

Mrs. Dash is yer new best friend......

http://www.mrsdash.com

Tony C's makes a really good sodium free seasoning, too.

There are many options out there.

I tend to use very little salt on things and simply let folks add it at the table. I really like heavy use of quality peppercorn blends and grind it out on dang near everything.

Lukikus2

Mrs. Dash is yer new best friend......

http://www.mrsdash.com

Tony C's makes a really good sodium free seasoning, too.

There are many options out there.

I tend to use very little salt on things and simply let folks add it at the table. I really like heavy use of quality peppercorn blends and grind it out on dang near everything.

Most hospitals use Mrs Dash.

Davexx1

We switched to Mortons Lite salt years ago just as a precaution. It is not as good tasting as the real thing but we got used to it. When using the Lite salt, I tend to put more of it on my foods, so I am not sure I am getting any benefit.

Now if they could come up with a good tasting and healthy sugar substitute. None of the sugar subs we have tried are very good. Many have increased risks of cancer associated with them.

Dave

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Im not a big fan of salt... Yep I said that! Used to be but when I was a young man I noticed all the negatives it was putting on older family members and decided to go low sodium years ago. I seriously give Gatorade a second thought before drinking it (usually drink water) because of it being so high in sodium.
Once you make the switch you can start enjoying the true taste of food.

jollymon

My Dr. Put me on a 1500mg. Per day diet after the 2nd pacemaker, now l read all the labels, and yes Mrs Dash is all over my spice cabinet, I was a huge salt fan before, wife wants me around so I'll deal with it.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have been off the salt bout 8 days now, and have lost 10 lbs. I do stay hungry and have yet to try a garden tomato without salt.

Mako22

BANNED

Lots of great recipes in the American Heart Associations cook book. You will find in there that they recommend venison as being heart healthy.