I want a new chainsaw

Robert28

I want a new, small, LIGHTER chainsaw. The days of me dragging around my 14lb Stihl 440 magnum are over. I’m not getting rid of it, but it’s been a while since I’ve had to cut anything that needs a 70cc saw. What I need is a small, light saw to do trimming and the occasional small tree, clear around a deer stand or trails, take down a small tree in the yard or something. That gets old with a heavy saw like my 440, plus I’m not the young strong buck I was 10+ years ago?. I’m thinking of something like a Stihl 170 but I’m open to other suggestions too. I really like the fact that it’s 8lbs and a friend has one and seems to like it. It’s hard to know how good the saw really is because he’s hard on stuff, he’s already killed a Stihl 250 and a 290 farm boss over the years.

Robert28

Have you looked at battery operated? I know they sound whimpy but I love mine for light duty use like you describe. I bought a Stihl because I already had batteries but everybody making them now. Light, quiet, push a button to crank and let go to shut off. With a sharp blade I'd put it up against a small gas on anything. Always carry in my truck, just in case....

STIHL Battery-Powered Chainsaws | Authorized Local STIHL Dealer
I saw them when I was at my Stihl dealer awhile back but didn’t walk up and give them a closer look. I was wondering about those. There’s a new small engine shop in town that started carrying Green something, it’s battery packed outdoor equipment.

paulito

I have a ryobi 18V chainsaw that stays in my truck box as well. We got a few of them at work for the guy that always seemed to not be able to start the gas powered ones and not completing jobs. Went with ryobi 18v cuz we had a bunch of the batteries for other drills and such. I tested it when i first got one and may 30 cuts thru 10 inch diameter log before 4aH battery died. Can't force the battery saws. Just gotta let them eat. Its not a gas one but works perfect for light duty and nice to know it will always start.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I'm still running a Husqvarna 435 16" bar, 40.9cc at 9.7lbs. I actually ordered it refurbished years ago, and it has been extremely reliable. Might not be light enough to change your saw world...
Lowes or Tractor Supply $ 299.00
Husqvarna 435 16" bar

I also got a pole saw attachment from TrimmersPlus (Troy-Bilt) for my Husqvarna weed eater. The Troy-Bilt pole saw works better than I ever would have imagined.
Trimmers Plus Pole Saw Attachment

TheWildLife

I bought a MS 193T a few years ago for the same reason. It's a top handle and light enough for one handed use. I've dropped 6-8" dia. trees with it also, but not something I'd want to do on a regular basis.

Beagler

I bought a 40 volt Ryobi 3 years ago, and my gas saws hasn’t been ran since. Plus I’ve bought weed eater and brush cutter all 40 volt, just change batteries.

treemanjohn

Banned
Husqvarna makes the best small electric saws, but they're expensive. I just bought 4 of the t540i top handle saws. With 2 batteries they're $1000. I tested them a few years ago and they're crazy good.

The Husqvarna 550 is another big winner. It cuts fast with a 20in bar. It would suit your well and they run around 600

Flash

Actually I Am QAnon
Talked to a tree man one day while he was working, he had a stihl that he was using with one hand, he said he loved it. Looked like it cut pretty fast considering and he said he was going to get a battery one too.

Jeetdawg

I’ve got a Greenworks electric chainsaw (16” bar). It cuts more than I want to on a given charge. I’ve cut smaller pines/oaks in my yard and have no doubt it will cut a full size tree if needed. Super convenient to use and I recommend it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Any of the small Stihls or Huskys are good, as long as they're the dealership ones and not the big box versions. As for electric, I've always hated and mistrusted electric equipment, but Stihl has come out with some good-quality electric stuff in the last year or two. They're proud of it, but it works well. I'm becoming a convert.

Robert28

I’ll probably eventually get a battery powered saw. They’re just so expensive and more than I want to spend. I think I paid $500-600 for my 440 magnum back in the day.